Faster finger print sensor since new Nov update

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The finger print reader in the new release is a bit better. For those of us who come from the Pixel 4 or 5 the situation is still far from what we are used to. And that’s what I don’t get, why do people accept a downgrade. The Pixel 4 and 5 fingerprint reader was 99% reliable and worked in a fraction of a second every time. So, while the new update made an improvement let’s not get complacent. My subjective rating of functionality places speed and ease of opening the phone to be a top event. A flagship phone should not downgrade such important and basic functionality and I don’t accept that it is OK because other phones (Samsung or whoever) are the same. Flagship phones should be better than the previous generation, not several steps backwards.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The finger print reader in the new release is a bit better. For those of us who come from the Pixel 4 or 5 the situation is still far from what we are used to. And that’s what I don’t get, why do people accept a downgrade. The Pixel 4 and 5 fingerprint reader was 99% reliable and worked in a fraction of a second every time. So, while the new update made an improvement let’s not get complacent. My subjective rating of functionality places speed and ease of opening the phone to be a top event. A flagship phone should not downgrade such important and basic functionality and I don’t accept that it is OK because other phones (Samsung or whoever) are the same. Flagship phones should be better than the previous generation, not several steps backwards.
This is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion.

For me this is how I feel: I have owned every pixel series since the pixel 1 and I did love the rear finger sensor especially how easy it was to unlock just by simply pulling it out of the pocket and the phone was already unlocked before I even looked at it. That being said, at first I did miss it but after a week or so I no longer miss it as much as I initially did. Now the tables have turned for me and I actually prefer this onscreen sensor bc it works well for me even more so now that it's even quicker + I like the rear aesthetics of the phone without the rear fingerprint sensor.

It's hard for a manufacturer to please everyone. There are going to be at least a few things we won't like no matter what device we pick up.

In a perfect world there would be two options but unfortunately that's not the case Hopefully you can get used to it like I did and eventually not be a deal breaker. Good luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had a Pixel 3 XL and 3a XL prior to my 6 Pro, and found that the rear fingerprint sensors on those were good, but not significantly better than the 6 Pro's screen sensor (especially after the update). I would have occasional difficulty with the rear sensors recognizing my finger, and forget it if the finger was even a bit moist. In my experience, the 6 Pro's sensor has been pretty much the same speed, more reliable, and has the advantage of not requiring an absolutely dry finger. In addition, I like having the sensor on the front, which means I can unlock it while on the table without having to pick it up.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I had a Pixel 3 XL and 3a XL prior to my 6 Pro, and found that the rear fingerprint sensors on those were good, but not significantly better than the 6 Pro's screen sensor (especially after the update). I would have occasional difficulty with the rear sensors recognizing my finger, and forget it if the finger was even a bit moist. In my experience, the 6 Pro's sensor has been pretty much the same speed, more reliable, and has the advantage of not requiring an absolutely dry finger. In addition, I like having the sensor on the front, which means I can unlock it while on the table without having to pick it up.
That's a good point actually I had when I had to lift the phone off the table just to unlock it when I'm working in my home office. It's all preference really and why it's sort of subjective. Would of been cool to have both, but I prefer the aesthetics of the phone without one in the rear.

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
you yourself say you missed your rear finger sensor and had to get used to the new on the Pixel 6. I miss it too.

I don't buy flagship phones to have to "get used to" a lesser functionality because it is undeniably less reliable and not as quick.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Agree. I now prefer the sensor on the front, and it works as well as the one I had on the P3XL on the back. Not a downgrade.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
This phone would not look great with a rear sensor ..I've always preferred the front or Samsung's new power button sensor...

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
whether you have to pick up your phone or not depends on how you last set it on the table but I will grant you that the front can be a more efficient placement.

In the Pixel 6, I have had to scan each thumb twice, else i was getting an extremely unreliable result. That left me one other finger to scan. Not so in previous pixels and it is pretty handy to have a choice of 5 (or more) different fingers.

if you reporting same speed and reliability in your Pixel 6 (for finger print reader) that would suggest there is something wrong with my phone (and many others who are reporting) and I doubt that a different phone would help. I've been wondering if i ask Google to send a replacement?

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
How can you possibly use this phone if your a tradie. Having dirty hands all the time no chance unlocking it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
whether you have to pick up your phone or not depends on how you last set it on the table but I will grant you that the front can be a more efficient placement.

In the Pixel 6, I have had to scan each thumb twice, else i was getting an extremely unreliable result. That left me one other finger to scan. Not so in previous pixels and it is pretty handy to have a choice of 5 (or more) different fingers.

if you reporting same speed and reliability in your Pixel 6 (for finger print reader) that would suggest there is something wrong with my phone (and many others who are reporting) and I doubt that a different phone would help. I've been wondering if i ask Google to send a replacement?

It's worth chatting with Google about this through the Contact Us option in Tips & Support (in the system settings).

When you try to unlock, are you pressing relatively firmly, or are you tapping lightly? It works better if you press your finger somewhat firmly, so that the optical sensor can better read the fingerprint.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I was not especially dissatisfied before the update, and I really don't see an impressive difference.

Perhaps it is a bit faster some of the time, but it is still fussier than either the Pixel 2 or the Pixel 5.

For all the hype, it didn't make a highly significant difference for me.

If the problem can be solved with software, they need to keep working.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This phone would not look great with a rear sensor ..I've always preferred the front or Samsung's new power button sensor...

Sure it could. Do what Moto did, put fingerprint in the logo. But I agree the power button is great too. Works well on my z flip 3 and S10e

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it has been a complete fail for me. My right thumb is dry after golfing everyday and that thumb fails utterly. I am tired of putting it in new 5 times a day. So I gave up and just swipe up for the pin...It is faster and less frustrating...I you do not do anything with your hands all day. I imagine it would be fine.

My left thumb works fine in any case...maybe because I wear a glove on that hand...

It stays unlocked in my car and house where I spend about 18 hours, so it is only about 6 that it is bothersome

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately it has been a complete fail for me. My right thumb is dry after golfing everyday and that thumb fails utterly. I am tired of putting it in new 5 times a day. So I gave up and just swipe up for the pin...It is faster and less frustrating...I you do not do anything with your hands all day. I imagine it would be fine.

My left thumb works fine in any case...maybe because I wear a glove on that hand...

It stays unlocked in my car and house where I spend about 18 hours, so it is only about 6 that it is bothersome

Not to sound stupid, but you (presumably) have eight other fingers, and the phone will remember five, so why only thumbs?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
With a front facing FPS, I don't think using digits other than thumbs (and possibly index fingers) would work very well. When I had rear FPS, I would add up to four digits on each hand, but it doesn't feel very practical for a front facing one.

Fortunately, the FPS appears to be working much better after this recent November update.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
With a front facing FPS, I don't think using digits other than thumbs (and possibly index fingers) would work very well. When I had rear FPS, I would add up to four digits on each hand, but it doesn't feel very practical for a front facing one.

Fortunately, the FPS appears to be working much better after this recent November update.

I don't use either thumb. More comfortable for me to use index finger, and it works flawlessly. Many times I almost point the finger straight down and it works.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't use either thumb. More comfortable for me to use index finger, and it works flawlessly. Many times I almost point the finger straight down and it works.

I prefer right thumb which I use for texting etc. It does work better if you press down hard. I'm not used to this as it wasn't necessary with the rear scanner on the previous model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non