Wireless charging bug

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Lots of reports about this in the Google bug tracker; I'm surprised that I don't see anything here in this forum.

I first reported having issues with wireless charging in the waning months of Android 12. I'd been using a 1st Gen Pixel Stand with my P6P without any issues until suddenly I could not get it to charge past 80% with adaptive charging enabled and even worse charging performance with adaptive charging disabled.

After many nights of trying different things, I finally pulled the wire from the Pixel Stand and plugged directly into the phone, thus determining that wired charging worked fine. Assuming that the problem might be the Pixel Stand was failing, I purchased an inexpensive wireless dock (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KH78W6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7094324) but quickly found that I had the same issues with it that I had with the Pixel Stand.

Hoping that an OS update might fix the problem, I installed Android 13 Beta 4 but no joy. And still no joy with Android 13 Final Release.

As an example, two nights ago I put the P6P on the Pixel Stand with the battery at 32%. I have a silent alarm set for 5:00 AM to give Adaptive Charging "something to shoot for" and, indeed, once on the stand, the phone showed "Charging wirelessly; full at 5:00 AM" or words to that effect. But, at 5:45 AM, the battery was only at 64%. Other times it has reached 80% but no higher. If I disable Adaptive Charging, I get random results but, again, never reach 100%.

Something definitely not right with wireless charging.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues?q=wireless

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned in another post, I used my Gen 1 Pixel Stand the night before last and it worked normally, just as before -- when I put my P6P on the stand before going to bed, the display immediately showed "Adaptive Charging"; and when the alarm went off the next morning, the device was fully charged. It's unfortunate that others are encountering problems, but the issue only seems to be affecting some users.

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
I had this probably both before and after 13 but not always. Night before last it charged fine. Yesterday evening the battery was getting low due to heavy usage and I got it to charge up to 40% pretty quickly. But overnight it charged to 61% and then stopped and I can't get it to charge now. I have restarted phone, unplugged Pixel 2 Stand and plugged it back in, etc. but it won't charge. Is the stand failing or a software issue?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had this probably both before and after 13 but not always. Night before last it charged fine. Yesterday evening the battery was getting low due to heavy usage and I got it to charge up to 40% pretty quickly. But overnight it charged to 61% and then stopped and I can't get it to charge now. I have restarted phone, unplugged Pixel 2 Stand and plugged it back in, etc. but it won't charge. Is the stand failing or a software issue?

Similar to my experience.

I am reluctant to blame the stand because a) it happens also with another wireless charger that I tried and b) others are complaining about the same problem (Google link posted above).

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the same third-party wireless charger since Pixel 4. It had absolutely no issues on Pixel 6 and Android 12. But when I updated to Android 13, it stopped working and returned a "Connected, not charging" message for the first few hours while getting quite warm. Later in the day it started charging very slowly, again with lots of heat and with mixed messages about whether or not it was charging. It kept improving gradually over the next day or so. And by day 4 it was working as it always did. I have always kept adaptive charging off (but adaptive battery is on). I don't think I did anything that fixed this. It seemed to straighten out on its own. Today is day 5 on Android 13 and it continues to work as it did before. I've read at least two other posts elsewhere with similar stories.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had this issue with my P6P, but my previous pixel had similar issues. Turned out to be the wireless charger in the phone failing. Hopefully that is not the case for the OP, but something to keep in mind.

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
I had the same issue as last night, charged up my phone a bit in the early evening but before going to bed I put in in the Pixel 2 stand and it was not charging. At the bottom of the screen it showed 13% but did not say if it was charging or now. On a whim, I tapped on that 13% and up popped a menu to tell it to charge silently for now or max charge. I selected silently and they it showed is was adaptively charging and would be full by morning. It now shows 16% charged. Not an ideal fix but at least it's charging wirelessly.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue as last night, charged up my phone a bit in the early evening but before going to bed I put in in the Pixel 2 stand and it was not charging. At the bottom of the screen it showed 13% but did not say if it was charging or now. On a whim, I tapped on that 13% and up popped a menu to tell it to charge silently for now or max charge. I selected silently and they it showed is was adaptively charging and would be full by morning. It now shows 16% charged. Not an ideal fix but at least it's charging wirelessly.

So, was it fully charged by morning? :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It just stayed at 77%. I removed it and put it back in place and it charged a bit more before I had to leave with my phone.

I saw a post on reddit where a P6 owner was told by Google support that a fix was in the works and would be released within two weeks.

We'll see.

stevenfstein

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Not a charging problem per se but having a problem with the Pixel 2 stand. I have it set for silent at night with the exception of favorites (phone and text) from wife and family. The problem is that my Blink security camera is somehow overriding the settings and dinging in the middle of the night. To say my wife is annoyed is an understatement. Putting the phone on any of the other charging methods, direct plug or on the Samsung fast charge works fine. Suggestions? Some setting I'm missing?
Best.... Steve

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not a charging problem per se but having a problem with the Pixel 2 stand. I have it set for silent at night with the exception of favorites (phone and text) from wife and family. The problem is that my Blink security camera is somehow overriding the settings and dinging in the middle of the night. To say my wife is annoyed is an understatement. Putting the phone on any of the other charging methods, direct plug or on the Samsung fast charge works fine. Suggestions? Some setting I'm missing?
Best.... Steve

Try Settings -> Digital Wellbeing & parental controls -> Do Not Disturb -> Apps. See if Blink is listed as an "Apps that can interrupt"

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
My Pixel Stand 2 was not charging my P6P. Saw a post on Reddit that suggested the Adaptive settings in the battery setting be turned off. I did so and restarted my phone and wireless charging is working again. I've not yet re-enabled the Adaptive settings to see if it still works. Going to wait a couple of days to make sure everything still works.

YMMV of course. This worked for me.

Update: 8/27 - only charged to 58% from 12% last night. Was on the charger for over 7 hours.

Last edited:

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
My Pixel Stand 2 was not charging my P6P. Saw a post on Reddit that suggested the Adaptive settings in the battery setting be turned off. I did so and restarted my phone and wireless charging is working again. I've not yet re-enabled the Adaptive settings to see if it still works. Going to wait a couple of days to make sure everything still works.

YMMV of course. This worked for me.

My phone was down to 7% after about 12 hours of use so I put in my Pixel 2 stand and it got to 11% and quit charging and dropped to 10% so I came here to see if there were any updates. I read your post, did the same as what you did, phone still is not charging. I will give it some more time but will plug in soon if I don't get some charging.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Can Google ever just update something and not break a basic feature now?! Now my P6Pro does not charge on my Pixel stand 2. Like this is basic stuff, and their own peripherals, seriously.....:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy