04-14-2018 12:38 PM
78 123 ...
tools
    Although the Snapdragon 821 is capable of Quick Charge 3.0 for the Pixel, it looks like Google has elected to use the USB-C Power Delivery standard. I just looked up a bunch of very confusing technical stuff, but the big advantage of PD is use of the data connection within USB-C while charging. ( like from a computer ). I don't think there is very much difference in the rate of charging with PD vs Quick Charge. Rest assured, the Pixels will charge VERY quickly.
    10-18-2016 03:47 AM
    Although the Snapdragon 821 is capable of Quick Charge 3.0 for the Pixel, it looks like Google has elected to use the USB-C Power Delivery standard. I just looked up a bunch of very confusing technical stuff, but the big advantage of PD is use of the data connection within USB-C while charging. ( like from a computer ). I don't think there is very much difference in the rate of charging with PD vs Quick Charge. Rest assured, the Pixels will charge VERY quickly.
    Thanks for the tip. So you have a source comparing charging speed between quick-charge 3.0 with USB-C Power Delivery? I thought quick-charge was faster.
    10-18-2016 03:59 AM
    Thanks for the tip. So you have a source comparing charging speed between quick-charge 3.0 with USB-C Power Delivery? I thought quick-charge was faster.
    https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/cEvVQLXhyRX
    10-18-2016 05:21 AM
    Google follows the USB c spec...QC 3.0 does not.
    10-18-2016 07:50 AM
    Google follows the USB c spec...QC 3.0 does not.
    The disadvantage is that with quick-charge you lose usb 3 speed when transferring files to the pc, I believe. But regarding charging speed, which one is faster?
    10-19-2016 04:11 AM
    The disadvantage is that with quick-charge you lose usb 3 speed when transferring files to the pc, I believe. But regarding charging speed, which one is faster?
    Faster depends on the implementation. USB pd can do up to 100w which is a lot. No smartphone supports this rate or anywhere near it though .

I am not sure what the max power is on quick charge 3.0 but Qualcomm indicates that it is enough to charge notebook computers.
    Blacknight30 likes this.
    10-19-2016 09:38 AM
    Can the cord that comes with the HTC10 be safely used with the Pixel? There were some shenanigans with QC not adhering to the USB-C protocol and high jacking a wire...I think.
    10-19-2016 09:46 AM
    Faster depends on the implementation. USB pd can do up to 100w which is a lot. No smartphone supports this rate or anywhere near it though .

I am not sure what the max power is on quick charge 3.0 but Qualcomm indicates that it is enough to charge notebook computers.
    So for purposes of a car charger, there's no practical benefit in paying $40 for the Belkin USB-C PD Car Charger over something like this Aukey QC 3.0 Car Charger for $15 (though it would require buying a separate cable)?

If not, I'd be heavily inclined towards the latter which would also provide a 'traditional' USB connection for charging other devices...
    10-19-2016 10:49 AM
    So for purposes of a car charger, there's no practical benefit in paying $40 for the Belkin USB-C PD Car Charger over something like this Aukey QC 3.0 Car Charger for $15 (though it would require buying a separate cable)?

If not, I'd be heavily inclined towards the latter which would also provide a 'traditional' USB connection for charging other devices...

Good question.

I have numerous QC 2.0 and 3.0 wall warts, Benson-approved USB-C cables, and a higher-output car charger that provided "Fast Charging" for my N7. But, it's not clear to me if:

- Regular Benson-approved USB-C cables have the appropriate pin-outs for the PD standard
    - It's much slower to use QC 2.0/3.0 chargers with the cables mentioned above

So, I (painfully) purchased a second OEM charger from the Google Store, just so I can have home/work charging when the Pixel arrives. Figured this will give me some time to learn about the PD spec as it applies to cables and wall warts.
    Jeremy8000 and stanleybb50 like this.
    10-19-2016 11:00 AM
    If you use a Quick Charge charger, it'll likely just default to maximum 5V/2.4A charging when used with a Pixel.
    Jeremy8000 and benjamminh like this.
    10-19-2016 11:16 AM
    The pixel phones will charge at a max rate of 18W (2A x 9V) when charged with a USB charger that supports USB PD and that charger supports the 9V profile.
    Jeremy8000 likes this.
    10-19-2016 11:39 AM
    Thanks!
    10-19-2016 12:59 PM
    I bought a second 18 W USB-C charger from the Google Store. I will keep the one that comes with the phone at work and use the other at home... That way I can ensure to always have a good / fast charge .
    LeeD likes this.
    10-19-2016 01:30 PM
    I bought a second 18 W USB-C charger from the Google Store. I will keep the one that comes with the phone at work and use the other at home... That way I can ensure to always have a good / fast charge .
    Thanks for the tip
    10-19-2016 01:56 PM
    One thing I have to say is my Nexus 6p charged significantly faster than my wife's Note 7 when she had it... I'll take Type C's PD over QC any day.
    10-19-2016 10:56 PM

You would need one that supports the charging method compatible with your device. The pixel doesn't support quick charge 3.0 so buying one wouldn't get you the fastest charging speeds
    LeeD likes this.
    10-19-2016 11:40 PM
    You would need one that supports the charging method compatible with your device. The pixel doesn't support quick charge 3.0 so buying one wouldn't get you the fastest charging speeds
    Hmm... Qualcomm 821 does offer native support for Quick Charge 3.0 (source), but maybe there are other co-requirements Google didn't implement in the design to enable it? Kind of a shame, if so, even if they did enable a 'newer' system, as many of us already have numerous QC3.0 chargers lying around.
    10-20-2016 08:17 AM
    Hmm... Qualcomm 821 does offer native support for Quick Charge 3.0 (source), but maybe there are other co-requirements Google didn't implement in the design to enable it? Kind of a shame, if so, even if they did enable a 'newer' system, as many of us already have numerous QC3.0 chargers lying around.
    I plugged my Sammy Quick Charge cable into my Pixel but it appeared to only charge at a normal rate.
    Jeremy8000 likes this.
    10-20-2016 09:59 AM
    OK, so for car chargers, I am not clear on the best charger to use with a Pixel.

Not sure the question got answered about the real-life advantages of the Belkin PD car charger.

Any updates or clarity on this topic?
    10-23-2016 04:47 PM
    I plugged my Sammy Quick Charge cable into my Pixel but it appeared to only charge at a normal rate.
    If you use a Quick Charge charger, it'll likely just default to maximum 5V/2.4A charging when used with a Pixel.
    Also note, it's just not the cable but the power adapter too.
    10-23-2016 04:51 PM
    OK, so for car chargers, I am not clear on the best charger to use with a Pixel.

Not sure the question got answered about the real-life advantages of the Belkin PD car charger.

Any updates or clarity on this topic?
    Look for a USB Type-C power adapter, it likely does 5V/3A charging.

The look for a quality, "Benson-approved" Type-C to Type-C USB cable.
    10-23-2016 04:52 PM
    Note: same thing with last year's Nexus phones.
    10-23-2016 04:53 PM
    Look for a USB Type-C power adapter, it likely does 5V/3A charging.

The look for a quality, "Benson-approved" Type-C to Type-C USB cable.
    I am just beginning to become familiar with this topic, but it appears that for car chargers, 5V/3A is not the same as USB-PD. The Belkin is expensive and it looks like it's the only car charger that matches the same spec as the OEM wall charger that comes with the Pixel.

Again, not sure, just learning now...
    10-23-2016 05:00 PM
    I am just beginning to become familiar with this topic, but it appears that for car chargers, 5V/3A is not the same as USB-PD. The Belkin is expensive and it looks like it's the only car charger that matches the same spec as the OEM wall charger that comes with the Pixel.

Again, not sure, just learning now...
    I'm 90% sure 15W, 5V 3A charging triggers "rapid" or "quick" charging for the Pixel.
    10-23-2016 05:13 PM
    Thanks - would be great for someone to verify this.

So, if this is the case, then "PD" doesn't really offer any benefit for Pixel owners?
    10-23-2016 05:27 PM
78 123 ...