Dark Mode

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I really love Google services and how everything works. But the one thing I can't fathom, especially now that Google is going to push the whole #MadeByGoogle slogan, is how in all their apps the material design elements have a bright or even white background.

If the XL is rumored to have a 2K AMOLED, and you geeky types such as myself know that black pixels are essentially "off" pixels. Save on battery and save your retinas from bleeding also.

If it is just the LCD5 screen from the HTC 10, then a dark theme I guess won't matter for any battery savings. However, even if that is the case, I would prefer a darker look for at least the Google apps, and the main phone apps.

My concern comes from what I am hearing over on XDA. Since Google is now going to control more of the user experience, the process of customization via root and xposed framework, while not necessarily impossible, is going to be a challenge on the Pixel phones. It's more complicated than that. But that is the gist.

I hope Google has at least considered a built in option for a dark theme.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes indeed, dark mode is a must have! Shame this site is all white background hey.. I do night work, I'd really prefer a dark theme for all things... The reverse colours are a poor substitute....