Google Pixel and Pixel XL: The Camera. Let's See Some Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... just going off what we know now, I am sure that it'll be a great phone. First, the sensor is a slightly upgraded one that is in the 6X... (IMX377 vs IMX378). I am not sure what Sony did to tweak the sensor though, most likely something minor. The IMX377 was still the best performing raw sensor on the market.

So... the Pixel. Google and Qualcomm worked together to farm off the image processing to the ISP... So in terms of shutter speed, the Pixel can rip off an HDR+ photo in less time than the 6P could take a standard picture. That is the killer detail. HDR+ is a marvel in terms of processing. The HDR+ pics coming out of my 6P are better quality than what my wife's Note 7, her S7 and her G4 did. So... the Pixel took that picture quality, made it fast, and added in top shelf stabilization and improved processing due to the new ISP junk in the SoC.

No shock that it popped that high a score.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I am not going to really put much stock in these.... professional photographs are professional. Never ever trust your eyes when you are seeing the pictures from the manufacturer....pros can make even crappy cameras look incredible.

Not saying that this is an example of that, but wait for when the hacks that write up all the phone reviews do their one ham-fisted tests. (Oh, AC editors excluded of course, they are of the highest caliber)

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not going to really put much stock in these.... professional photographs are professional. Never ever trust your eyes when you are seeing the pictures from the manufacturer....pros can make even crappy cameras look incredible.

Not saying that this is an example of that, but wait for when the hacks that write up all the phone reviews do their one ham-fisted tests. (Oh, AC editors excluded of course, they are of the highest caliber)

That is a good point. I guess I never thought about who was actually taking these pictures but instead, only the material itself. People will get their hands on them soon (especially sites) so they should start filtering out soon.

buzzard

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It all sounds good on paper, but I'm looking forward to seeing some real world, everyday, average user photos.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It all sounds good on paper, but I'm looking forward to seeing some real world, everyday, average user photos.

Oh, I am fairly certain that they'll be as advertised. Take full time, fast HDR+ pics, with better stabilization of video and a newer generation of processing than the 6P.... Looking at the scores on DXOMark, Google addressed all the areas where the 6P needed improvement. But photo quality wasn't one of them... far from it... the 6P, when taking HDR+ shots, is really really good.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking at some of the pics they are stunning... So happy that Google has stepped up big time. Camera was a weak point with earlier Google phones, improved with 6p and glad they have progressed it even further and go head to head with Samsung and Apple flagships.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So happy that Google has stepped up big time

Yep... I saw the launch and the DXO score and thought... 'hmm' then after the event, information as to HOW they got that score came.... For stills, having HDR+ on by default isn't the big deal... on the 6P, HDR+ is set to Auto by default and for all shots that are static in nature (i.e. not a lot of movement in frame) HDR+ is on... BUT... and here's the kicker... with the Pixel, Google worked with Qualcomm to farm off the time it takes to take the HDR+ image to the SD821's ISP system.... which is far more qualified for that particular task and uses less power than the current system the 6P uses. So that means that, to the user, the ONLY way you can tell if HDR+ toggled on or not is to go back and look at the pictures after the fact and pixel peep for the quality.

And on video, rather than the 6P's method, which sort of looks at the video and tries to determine frame shake, which works most of the time but can struggle under some circimstances, it bypasses what you are looking at all together and instead uses the phone's spatial orientation system to determine camera shake 200 times a second. You know all that work they did with Tango and Daydream? Well, guess who sat in on all the technical meetings and said "Hey.... we can use that to stablize video!"

So after seeing that ...

curiosity and attention.jpg

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, editing is something I want to be omitted. Having people from here get their hands on it and posting unedited pics will be something to really judge it by. I don't think it'll disappoint though

Status
Not open for further replies.