Google confirms Verizon will handle updates

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Bloatware and updates on Verizons pixels?

Are the updates coming from google like a nexus? Will there be verizon bloatware on they're version?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bloatware and updates on Verizons pixels?

Are the updates coming from google like a nexus? Will there be verizon bloatware on they're version?

I am expecting ZERO bloatware from Verizon model. heck they made verizon not put their logo at the back. The update come directly from google just like Nexus

Updates I am not quite sure yet but i think google made deal with Verizon to give faster updates for exclusivity.
even with more control from verizon on nexus 6, they manage to have the least bloat

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

I don't see any VZ bloat either. I expect Google to control the software same as Apple does.

Sergio Abreu

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site

Spoke to a verizon rep who informed me that there will be no additional software to the phone on their end. So as far as bloatware there will be none. According to the rep.

Flyer00

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

If there is no additional bloat from VZW, do we know if they will have to "approve" each update? There should be no need now. As long as the phone makes a good faith attempt to download updates on WiFi, let's hope VZW will not hold back updates.

vlok16

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I doubt that there will be no bloatware, I have had a few Droids on VZW and while I know that's not a "Google" phone, there is always unnecessary software. Granted, they have been the closest to a pure Android experience and I can disable the VZW bloat (do I really need Verizon GPS in this day and age?????) but it would be nice to not have them taking up space.

ClusterPuck

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site

The VZW phone will come with 3 installed apps that I know of: My Verizon, GO90, and VZW Messages. It has been reported that you can uninstall these apps. In addition the booloader will not be able to be unlocked.

Updates and patches will come through VZW, which means there is risk they wont come as fast as google.

What I am trying to find out is wifi calling, will that be enabled on vzw if the phone is bought from google.

anon(98335)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

this is another reason i'm not taking chances to buy from VZW... i hate to see the phone came with VZW bloatware...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

The VZW phone will come with 3 installed apps that I know of: My Verizon, GO90, and VZW Messages. It has been reported that you can uninstall these apps. In addition the booloader will not be able to be unlocked.

Updates and patches will come through VZW, which means there is risk they wont come as fast as google.

What I am trying to find out is wifi calling, will that be enabled on vzw if the phone is bought from google.

whats ever u said is wrong. google gets u the update and not verizon

Last edited:

popezaphod

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I am most likely going to get the Pixel XL via Edging Up from my DROID Turbo. I don't want bloatware, but I can tolerate it.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

As a VZW user who's been burned before with their last Nexus offering, I plan on purchasing the Pixel unlocked from Google and then swap my nano-sim over.

My GNex experience with VZW wasn't what people hoped or expected. Updates were turtle slow, and had plenty of bloat. Luckily back then I was a root/rom junkie, so I was able to mitigate the problem. But today I'm just too lazy to do that anymore.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I remember when people screamed and cried from the rooftops about the VZW Gnex having carrier bloat. Turns out it was over Verizon helpfully including 2-3 VZW-centric apps which apparently turned those phones into unstable shaky messes, as far as those users were concerned.

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I will just buy it from Google store and activate it on Verizon. Then no worries about bloatware or updates.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I will just buy it from Google store and activate it on Verizon. Then no worries about bloatware or updates.

I agree, but there has been a lot of info. that going that route will cause issues with VZ vs. buying direct from them. Any thoughts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I suggest people do their research on the beginnings of Android. It was essentially planned as an OS for carriers.

The Verizon Pixel is the original vision realized.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

I agree, but there has been a lot of info. that going that route will cause issues with VZ vs. buying direct from them. Any thoughts?
What info are you referring to? A year ago perhaps. But today it's easy peasy. VZW has been a lot easier to deal with since they separated device sales from carrier service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38