Best Buy Pixel XL Experience

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Did you activate on Verizon? My local Best Buy wouldn't include a Chromecast since I did not activate on Verizon. They also did not give me the $100 gift card for the same reason.
On the best buy website it only shows the GC and chromecast if you do device payment plan or 2 year upgrade. Once you select the retail price the offers are removed.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I just talked to Best Buy customer support and pointed out a discrepancy with their online ads. To receive the gift card you must activate with Verizon at the time of purchase. However, the ChromeCast listed no such stipulation. I brought this to their attention and they said they were sorry, but could not give me a ChromeCast, but they did give me a $35 gift card (value of ChromeCast).
I expect they'll fix the listing soon.

EDIT: Here's the link to the ad that does not specify activation in order to qualify for the ChromeCast.

Google Pixel 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Cell Phone Silver G-2PW2100-021-B - Best Buy

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I am a Verizon customer with my 2 yr upgrade available. I believe you have to pay the tax on the full price of the phone when you do the monthly payment option correct? If so, can you use Best Buy gift cards to pay? I usually get about $200 in Best Buy gift cards around the holidays and was thinking this might be a good way to use it.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Went to Best Buy yesterday hoping to buy the Pixel full price. The store employee insisted the phone will be locked to Verizon and that I need to be an existing Verizon customer to purchase. What the.... Even after telling him that the phone is unlocked, he insisted the device is locked to Verizon! Sigh!

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
That's insane. So they actually refused to sell? I went to two stores, didn't end up buying because I wanted the chromecast :)....but both were willing to sell. All I had to tell them that I had no time to activate and that I would activate at home. They were totally fine with that. You don't need to tell them that you plan to use on a different network.

If you have any doubts about compatibility, you should also check this thread

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-pixel-xl/739097-google-pixel-builds.html

Somewhere in that theead, I posted a table of the networks people are using their pixels

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Saw my first Pixel at Best Buy today. Played around with it for awhile. But curiously or not it was on a Verizon display counter. Playing up the Verizon exclusive?

Side note: Was hard not to buy one while I was there. They had a 5" pixel in silver, not my color, but what a sweet looking/feeling/operating device. Only thing I thought was a downer was the speaker. Sounded so tinny. Might have over looked that if I hadn't walked out of there pronto when the urge started to hit hot and heavy. Next time I go in there I should bring a level headed friend along for protection. Lol.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Went to Best Buy yesterday hoping to buy the Pixel full price. The store employee insisted the phone will be locked to Verizon and that I need to be an existing Verizon customer to purchase. What the.... Even after telling him that the phone is unlocked, he insisted the device is locked to Verizon! Sigh!

My Best Buy told me the same thing. I told them I'd take my chances.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I see on BB's website that there is a 2 year contract extension with Verizon to buy a Pixel for $199. Anyone use this offer? At that price it makes me lean in a little closer to picking one of these up. Guess they're backordered of course for the color I want.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So...
Order pixel from Best Buy online, pick up in store.

Remove Verizon sim, boot up.

Add sprint BYOD sim, activate online?

Do we leave the last number off in the ME ID area? I want to do this with as little involvement (meddling) from the sprint and best buy folks...

Also, are we POSITIVE there aren't any software issues with this unit "knowing" it's a Verizon phone?

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
So...
Order pixel from Best Buy online, pick up in store.

Remove Verizon sim, boot up.

Add sprint BYOD sim, activate online?

Do we leave the last number off in the ME ID area? I want to do this with as little involvement (meddling) from the sprint and best buy folks...

Also, are we POSITIVE there aren't any software issues with this unit "knowing" it's a Verizon phone?
Based on feedback in this thread, there shouldn't be any problem
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-pixel-xl/739097-google-pixel-builds.html

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Ordered mine for store pickup. Online order allowed me to order a chromecast (free gift). Got notified that both are ready for pickup. Will find out soon if I have issues with the pickup

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that if you order online for store pickup, chromecast is added as a free gift. I was able to pick up from store today without a problem. The same store had refused a chromecast when I had tried to purchase the phone in store

bizziet

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a store by store basis. As I stated earlier in the thread I checked online what stores near me had some in stock. Called first to verify they did in fact have them in stock then drive over and left with a 32gb silver Pixel xl and a Chromecast. 10 minutes in total if that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress