Any moderate to heavy users think 32 GB will be enough with all the cloud storage options?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Won't be able to give you a 100% answer till Tuesday when I get my Pixel, but I don't see why not (though it may require some 3rd party file manager,/explorer). Had no issues doing it on my Nexus 6.

Should be fine.
Consider using Astro Pro file manager.
It's always superior to any default file manager, IMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It can be if you're willing to use the cloud and clean out storage ahead of time of you really need it. I went with 128.

I normally don't go up in storage but since I want to use this phone for awhile I'd rather not worry about space as much.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With my frustrations with the 128 GB variant being sold out, the 32 GB variant seems tempting (not to mention cheaper). Do you think it will suffice?

What sort of things do you absolutely need physical storage for vs. cloud storage?

If photos and videos take up most of your space, 32GB "should" be enough with Google Photos Unlimited Backup.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading that some of the VR stuff is space intensive as well. That was part of my thinking as I went for 128. Since I don't have my day dream, or any VR stuff to date, I do not know how true this is.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Will a 128GB feel faster than a 32GB just based on read/write speeds?

Good question - I'm sure a reviewer will do some testing on that shortly. But even if they do perform comparably under normal situations, it's worth noting that (in my experience) things tend to slow down a bit as you start to run very low on storage space. So if you're figuring you'll regularly be pretty close to that 32GB threshold (after accounting for OS, etc), it may be worth bumping to the 128GB.

diver110

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am worried about this too. I don't really mind waiting for the 128 gig, though I see on my Galaxy 5 I have used less than 16 gigs. On the one hand, it seems like 32 gigs will be enough. On the other hand, I worry about future apps sucking up more space....

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how much you want to store on your phone. I've gone with 32gb, as all my content is stored on Google Photos, Google Drive or Google Music, so I have no need for a large amount of on-board storage.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I pretty much screwed myself. I had a 32GB on order form Google, panicked and then ordered a 128GB and cancelled the 32GB. I have been going back and forth ever since and now have both on order again with delivery estimates of Nov 23-25. I am on an iPhone 6 right now and have been between 19-23GB of storage usage regularly even though it's a 64GB version. Are Google apps part of the used space when you get the device new just like Apple? So will Chrome, Gmail, Google Play Music, Google Now, etc all be preinstalled? Chrome, Now and Play take up 1.8GB on my iPhone and that's with no music downloaded or cached. SO if those are part of the out of the box usage I should be fine.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
How much did that set you back? If it's near the price difference between the two Pixels anyway, might as well just get the 128 GB phone.

$12.99 shipped from Amazon (available in silver or white, but not black, for those who might care to match to their phone). Uses MicroSD cards you may already have lying around (and supports up to 256GB). Nowhere near the cost difference, adds flexibility and convenience for connecting with other devices for file transfer without tying up your device. Not saying I wouldn't rather have the 128GB, but with this I know I can manage just fine with the 32GB, and have it in hand a month earlier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is my 128 GB fresh -- Apps just started to install when I took the screenshot. Plenty of space. If you're worried about it I say just snag this and be good :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161024-152653 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20161024-152653 (1).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 39

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No, the least amount would be a 64GB for a moderate to heavy user in my opinion. With the camera being as good as it is on the Pixel XL, unless your set you pixel to delete your photos and videos after uploading them, they will consume a lot of space. A 4K video for a minute is about 375+ MB. Not even mentioning music. I would go for the 128 if your are a heavy user. I see tons of 32GB models on SWAPPA. I am sure many of them wished they had gotten the 128GB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames