Anyone using pixel coming from iPhone?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Anyone using pixel coming fro iPhone?

Just buy one and try it for yourself. Return it if you don't like it. You just lose out on shipping. If you're on Version check what their return policy is first.

I'm on T-Mobile. Can I go to best buy/verizon to buy one and does it have verizon branding?

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have both. Pixel XL and iPhone 7Plus. Both are great phones for what they are but it's all personal preference. Android will always be my primary device.
Same as you. I have both because I want both. Each offers a terrific user experience and it's great to see both platforms mature over time.

in_dmand

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

I did the exact opposite.

Here's my take. I've been an Android FanBoy since 2008 when the first device was released. I've have 4 or 5 DIFFERENT Android devices each year since that time. Each year, everything improved.... come 2015/2016, the Nexus 6P was, by far, the best Android phone I have ever laid my techy paws on - and it was priced under $400 brand new. It was the best of all worlds.

Now, the Pixel comes out with many staples (stereo, or even. DECENT speaker to be the most obvious omission) are missing and they jack the price up; way up.

It hit me that Google was charging a current-generation iPhone price for a first-generation guinea pig device.

For the first time in my life, I purchased an Apple Product. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to be precise. It already feels better and out performs anything I've used from Android.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it since i always bashed Apple, but this device is simply stunning. I can do everything in half the time that it took me to do with Android.

I don't miss the ROMmig and Modding, because everything just works.

I'm close to you as well, haven't had as many android phones but been an android fanboy ever since smart phones started coming out. Well this year, due to the 'poor' selections in android I decided to try out the iphone 7 plus 256g coming from a motorola nexus 6.

It's been an experience let me tell you...long story short I'm moving back to android and going for the pixel xl.

I like the iphone, it's well built and does function well and smoothly - albeit not fast like my n6 (which I had the animations to 0 and a custom rom). On the iphone I have to wait for the animations which is a pain. A couple big things did it for me. The first and largest reason I'm switching back is because the pictures are TERRIBLE for this new of a device. This is using the stock camera on auto mode. The pics are washed out in some lighting and in anything other than direct light they have this pixelated watercolor effect going on, which appears to be from being over processed. I am not the only one w/ this issue, see here and here. It also happens on my wife's new iphone 7 (regular).

A few other more minor things are simply that the system isn't as user friendly and fluid as android. For example, I use my phone for my small business on which I have a chat widget (tawk.to) which will allow customers to chat directly w/ me via the widget and an app on my phone. Well with android not only would the phone sound the alert and show up on the lock screen, it would also show up a symbol on the top of the notification bar when browsing in any other app you happened to be in (say google chrome). This the same for emails and texting. On the iphone I have to go to the home screen to see if there have been any alerts overlayed on the app itself... there is no symbol present in the notification bar to alert me that I missed someone trying to chat w/ me until I have to pull it down to see for myself.

Another thing is that there is no permanent back button which is kind of annoying. Apple does standardize where the back button is (upper left) but then I have to basically use 2 hands to go back whenever I want to. Lastly, there is no good call recording app that natively works from the phone itself (I use call recording ALL the time for my business recording phone calls - if I'm driving and can't write a number down I simply replay the recording later). For iphone you have to call a third party and have them connect you. Also, one thing I noticed is the scrolling isn't fluid... you can't just 'fling' a screen and go all the way to the other end (especially noticeable w/ the 'recents') but you have to physically scroll through multiple times.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

How easy/difficult is it to transfer data/pics from iPhone to Pixel? Does the iPhone have to be on a specific iOS? My wife has hers completely full and is on iOS 6/7 (can't remember). I would love to be able to take advantage of an easy move.

Install Google photos on iPhone.

Tf407

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site

The iPhone 7 Plus better than any Android device you've used...Looks like you really need to try a Pixel first hand. It out performs the 6P in every way.
Agreed

Anyone saying the iPhone 7 plus is best phone is strictly opinion based

However saying it's better than the note 7 or pixel despite being inferior in many specs is hard to understand. Just personal opinion

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

If anything you can other keyboards as well. I personally love SwiftKey but giving the Google Keyboard another go since getting the Pixel XL.

Swiftkey is an awesome keyboard but the thing that made me switch back to the Google Keyboard is the gif button. I like using gifs and having it directly accessible from the keyboard is super convenient.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Swiftkey is an awesome keyboard but the thing that made me switch back to the Google Keyboard is the gif button. I like using gifs and having it directly accessible from the keyboard is super convenient.

Yeah, I just realized this too after getting the Pixel. I've never tried the Google keyboard before and I'm starting to like it as well because of the gif option.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

I did the exact opposite.

Here's my take. I've been an Android FanBoy since 2008 when the first device was released. I've have 4 or 5 DIFFERENT Android devices each year since that time. Each year, everything improved.... come 2015/2016, the Nexus 6P was, by far, the best Android phone I have ever laid my techy paws on - and it was priced under $400 brand new. It was the best of all worlds.

Now, the Pixel comes out with many staples (stereo, or even. DECENT speaker to be the most obvious omission) are missing and they jack the price up; way up.

It hit me that Google was charging a current-generation iPhone price for a first-generation guinea pig device.

For the first time in my life, I purchased an Apple Product. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to be precise. It already feels better and out performs anything I've used from Android.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it since i always bashed Apple, but this device is simply stunning. I can do everything in half the time that it took me to do with Android.

I don't miss the ROMmig and Modding, because everything just works.

I have both...and they are both awesome.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

I agree with you both, the Iphone keyboard is the easiest to use.

Hmmm is it just that you guys prefer the iPhone auto-correct or is there something about the sizing and / or spacing of keys that you like?

My favorite keyboard by far is the Wordflow keyboard from Windows Phone which funny enough is on iOS in beta I believe but not available on Android. The Google keyboard is ok, it does the job most of the time. I don't like that SwiftKey puts branding on the keyboad and seems to use a lot of resources.

Something I wish google keyboard had that the Wordflow keyboard had was the emoji recommendations for what you were typing (just like word suggestions).

Silly Putty

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
The few things that keep me on iOS are iMessage, native mail app (never liked the android options), and Touch ID is supported in most of the iOS apps which is very useful. When I had the s7 edge, the majority of android apps still lagged behind in supporting fingerprint authentication.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm is it just that you guys prefer the iPhone auto-correct or is there something about the sizing and / or spacing of keys that you like?

My favorite keyboard by far is the Wordflow keyboard from Windows Phone which funny enough is on iOS in beta I believe but not available on Android. The Google keyboard is ok, it does the job most of the time. I don't like that SwiftKey puts branding on the keyboad and seems to use a lot of resources.

Something I wish google keyboard had that the Wordflow keyboard had was the emoji recommendations for what you were typing (just like word suggestions).

I love the iPhone keyboard. I've only ever used the iPhone 4s and now my current iPhone 6 Plus, but on both phones the keyboard was superior to anything I've used on Android, both in correction and speed. I have Swiftkey as my go to keyboard on Android, but I make a lot more mistakes on Swiftkey than I do on stock iOS. It could be the spacing, I know I can type a paragraph and not even look at my iPhone until I'm done and everything will be fine without mistakes, on Android, I would have 4 or 5 words all strung together because I hit the 'n' key instead of space and I get one long jumbled hot mess of a word. I still use Android as my daily driver, but the keyboard (any keyboard, doesn't matter which one) is a big downfall for me.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I can use any keyboard that has a swipe feature. T9 with prediction was always my favorite. I hated keyboards before I found swiping. I refuse to "type" and people seen to get frustrated that I respond too quickly. I've had others watch in wonderment when I swipe.

Overall, I think friends and family seem to text less and use more shortcuts or acronyms since full keyboards have become available. The biggest problem is verifying what I wrote. I do it without looking for the most part then just hit send. Every once in a while I throw out some crazy words

scouser75

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

What do you all use to sync iTunes and iphotos (photos app) on a mac with your Android devices?

I used to have a Nexus 5 - far superior phone and OS to Apple iPhone 6 and IOS - and want to go back to android. But had far too many sync issues due to the eco system.

Thanks

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned on page one of this thread, it is completely up to the user to choose which device or os that works for them.

This reviewer seems to be switching to ios & some of the reasons why are in the video. Have to admit, I knew Google had a strong presence on ios.
But did not know they had some apps there that are not on android. :mad:
All that aside, agree with this guy 100% from the 6:00 min mark to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoHsabTWVug

Applejunkie66

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I will say the apps on iPhone are nicer than their Android counterparts (not Google apps, just apps in general). I often thought are iOS developers smarter lol. Touch ID apps on Android are getting better and more prevalent but still need to catch up to iPhone.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I just got the 32GB Pixel XL and I am so glad I did. It is such a nice device and super quick. I'm enjoying it more than my iPhone 7 Plus which I am selling now.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

If he likes iOS, why should he bother? Simply, iPhones are great if you want Apple services; Pixels are great if you want Google services. I choose Android because I prefer Google's services, and although the iPhone can use Google services, integration between iOS and Google services is not possible on the iPhone because Apple (understandably) wants to shove Apple services down your throat.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I will say the apps on iPhone are nicer than their Android counterparts (not Google apps, just apps in general). I often thought are iOS developers smarter lol. Touch ID apps on Android are getting better and more prevalent but still need to catch up to iPhone.

If it is the same app it is very possible it is the same developer. The thing about developing for Android is that there are so many versions and variants to support. And optimization for one device may be bad for another and creating a tree of logic for this adds additional processing and file size for the application. (Yes one change minor, but many changes like this add up a thousand paper-cuts will kill you)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana