I Love this Freakin' Thing!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
N5 and N7 owners may recognize that title. :) Sorry! But I've moved on to the Pixel XL and this phone is on a whole new level on a number of fronts.

The software optimization that Google was able to accomplish by targeting one specific hardware platform results in a crazy fast and smooth user experience. Touch response, scrolling and raw speed is better than any Android phone and only the iPhone can compete on this front. Prior, the iPhone owned this space. Not any more.

Battery life is beyond my expectations and certainly better than any Android phone I've ever owned.

The camera is simply brilliant. In my use so far, it handles every lighting situation that I throw at it and it just produces excellent results, every time. And the shutter speed exceeds anything Android phones have provided.

The fingerprint reader is everything Samsung's readers aren't. Super fast, super reliable and the Pixel's reader even works with my eternally dry skin. The N5 and N7 readers never worked anything like this. On the N7, I migrated to using Iris scanning b/c regardless of how I set up my prints, I could just never get them to work consistently enough for me to depend on them. On the Pixel, I didn't even put any precision into how I scanned my prints, and the reader is so damn fast and reliable, it feels more like an "On" button. No worrying about skin conditions, no worrying about exact finger alignment, no re-scanning a single print a bunch of different ways. What an amazing improvement over Samsung's phones.

Lastly, I haven't benefited yet from this yet, but the notion of fast OS and security updates will be appreciated again/again over time. Great to know that VZW will stay out of the way. Samsung's track record on this front has been horrible for years now, and for me, timely OS updates and reliable monthly security updates will be downright refreshing.

For any N7 owners on the fence, just go buy a Pixel XL. It does not have the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to it's feature set - thankfully. The Pixel is just simple, fast, consistent and on an entirely different level of software/hardware integration that has to be used to be fully appreciated.

Last edited:

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I was skeptical about the finger print scanner being on the back, but wow is this thing super fast! Like you said, it is more like an ON button! Since I can also open the phone via voice commands, that is a big help too if not holding the phone!

The only problem I have with the Pixel XL is the same problem I have with any new phone and that is getting accustomed to where everything is on the phone and different buttons. After some more time it will be like any other phone! The bottom line is this phone functions extremely well! This phone will keep me satisfied for now after using the Note 7.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The camera image quality intrigues me.

FPS on the front and I'd strongly consider switching.

Last edited:

russell1997

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
the Pixel's reader even works with my eternally dry skin.

My hands/fingers get really dry especially this time of year. I only have a fingerprint sensor in my iPad Air 2 and it consistently had issues with my thumb and 1st finger. I would have to retrain it often. I finally switched to my middle finger and it does much better.

Essentially, I'm flipping off my iPad to unlock it. :p

I hope the Pixel does better as it sounds yours does!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My fire box arrived from VZW today. RIP N7.

Mine just finished its last FDR as prep for shipping.

When I cut it on today, for the first time since getting my Pixel XL, I expected to be sucked back into the device. That did not happen. In fact it was the opposite. The more I ventured around the N7, the more I appreciated the snappiness of the Pixel. I am officially over my ex!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The camera image quality intrigues me.

FPS on the front and I'd strongly consider switching.

Both front and back have their merits. Having been on front FPS for the last few years, I am surprised by how much I like the Pixel FPS. There are a few times that I wish it was on the front, however, there are more times that I have liked it being in the back. Especially since just tapping turns on the screen. With the Note you had to push, then scan. The Pixel method gives a slightly better experience.

In addition, the trusted devices never worked for me on the N7 (maybe due to AirWatch), they work flawlessly on the Pixel, even with AirWatch.

Overall, getting into my Pixel is quicker/easier than the N7.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
N5 and N7 owners may recognize that title. :) Sorry! But I've moved on to the Pixel XL and this phone on a whole new level on a number of fronts.

For any N7 owners on the fence, just go buy a Pixel XL. It does not have the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to it's feature set - thankfully. The Pixel is just simple, fast, consistent and on an entirely different level of software/hardware integration that has to be used to be fully appreciated.
Billy, when I read the title and saw your name, that was the first thing I thought of... I was coming to say that and laughed when I read your first sentence! Thank you very much for the review I've been waiting for - mine is ordered but from Google Store - a Pixel XL 128 GB in Quite Black but not until 11/23 unfortunately! I'm with AT&T so I just stayed with Google Store! You and I went through the Note 7 wars together and, I think, had similar taste and feelings on that subject so I'm really happy with how you feel about this new guy!!! Thanks again for the detailed review... still patiently running my Note 5 awaiting the arrival of my Thanksgiving present! :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
N5 and N7 owners may recognize that title. :) Sorry! But I've moved on to the Pixel XL and this phone is on a whole new level on a number of fronts.

The software optimization that Google was able to accomplish by targeting one specific hardware platform results in a crazy fast and smooth user experience. Touch response, scrolling and raw speed is better than any Android phone and only the iPhone can compete on this front. Prior, the iPhone owned this space. Not any more.

Battery life is beyond my expectations and certainly better than any Android phone I've ever owned.

The camera is simply brilliant. In my use so far, it handles every lighting situation that I throw at it and it just produces excellent results, every time. And the shutter speed exceeds anything Android phones have provided.

The fingerprint reader is everything Samsung's readers aren't. Super fast, super reliable and the Pixel's reader even works with my eternally dry skin. The N5 and N7 readers never worked anything like this. On the N7, I migrated to using Iris scanning b/c regardless of how I set up my prints, I could just never get them to work consistently enough for me to depend on them. On the Pixel, I didn't even put any precision into how I scanned my prints, and the reader is so damn fast and reliable, it feels more like an "On" button. No worrying about skin conditions, no worrying about exact finger alignment, no re-scanning a single print a bunch of different ways. What an amazing improvement over Samsung's phones.

Lastly, I haven't benefited yet from this yet, but the notion of fast OS and security updates will be appreciated again/again over time. Great to know that VZW will stay out of the way. Samsung's track record on this front has been horrible for years now, and for me, timely OS updates and reliable monthly security updates will be downright refreshing.

Coming from a Note 7 myself, I agree with just about all of this. Except the part about shutter speed of the camera and how no other Android could compare. My Note 7 shutter was as fast or faster than my Pixel. I also had no trouble with then N7 fingerprint scanner, and prefer it on the front.

Otherwise, I am with you. The Pixel is fast and smooth, with very good battery life so far.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

Excellent synopsis. I agree completely.

You cannot appreciate this phone on paper. You need to use it, and the more you do the better it gets.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the s7 edge and note 7 before my Pixel xl and honestly I'm underwhelmed. Nothing special really. Speed is good like most phones when u first get them. I mean it ticks all the boxes I guess but there's nothing exciting about it. The fact that so many of us are excited about a phone BC it doesn't have lag is sad to me. This should've been the case since "project butter" years ago. I'm going to give a v20 a chance and see if it does more for me. I mean it's a great phone but not much better than my 6p I bought for $450.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I guess coming from TouchWiz it is faster..

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just turned off all animations in Dev Options.
Damn! The touch response is instant. Like really instant.

If you can live without animated transitions, consider turning them off on the Pixel.
What a treat!

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I just turned off all animations in Dev Options.
Damn! The touch response is instant. Like really instant.

If you can live without animated transitions, consider turning them off on the Pixel.
What a treat!

Yes it is - as close to instant as i think one can get - thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa