Screen quality

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I have seen many things mentioned about the Pixel, but nothing about the quality of the screen. How does it compare to Note 7 or S7 Edge? I know they are both QHD, but so was my 6P and it looks terrible next to my S7E.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The screen is amazing. the contrast and black level is really good.
I thought my nexus 6p screen was good but after using pixel i have to say pixel screen is very very good

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have seen many things mentioned about the Pixel, but nothing about the quality of the screen. How does it compare to Note 7 or S7 Edge? I know they are both QHD, but so was my 6P and it looks terrible next to my S7E.

The XL is QHD the regular Pixel is not. The Note 7 and S7 have some of the best on the market for sure. Even my Note 5 is fantastic. I don't expect that level of quality on the Pixel display. Just don't put the two phones next to each other. :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel XL screen is very good. My Note 7 screen was the best I have ever seen. Nothing against the Pixel screen, but it is not quite as good as the N7 IMO. I would sometimes get ooohs and ahhhs with my Note 7 screen. YMMV of course. What is pleasing to one person may not be as much to another ..

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The pixel allows you to easily enable RGB mode which will calibrate the screen. But I doubt many will like it. Screen are like tone controls on stereo equipment, most people want loudness enabled, and bass and treble maxed out. Accuracy is not desired.

The setting is either in developer options or you need to hold down the settings gear in the notification panel to reveal the hidden UI tuner panel.

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Pixel XL, beautiful screen and super clear. Just watched my first Netflix movie on it. Picture is very sharp and not over saturated in my opinion. I prefer the natural color look rather than the cartoony look on some other smartphones.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Google Pixel XL review: Upsampled - page 3 - GSMArena.com

According to this the display is great. But isn't as bright as the s7 or as legible in sunlight. It is also not as accurate as it doesn't have an sRGB mode (but someone here says they do have it, so who knows).

But other than that it is basically identical to the one in the s7, and uses the same pentile display. And it is worth reiterating, the weaknesses compared to the s7 are slight, maybe unnoticeable in usage.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Screen is fine but not as great as Samsung screens, in fact I even prefer the iPhone 7 plus screen over this. But everything else on the phone is superb.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Refer to the link in post #13. It says it is Diamond Pentile.

Thank God! Any info on the regular Pixel display?

From what I can find its FHD which worries me its the old 4.99" display found on the S4 which is RGBG PenTile. No diamond that I am aware of on that display. Hey, maybe is does!

Last edited:

Momof9Blessings

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I LOVE the display - it is better than my Note 4... I do agree that the iPhone 7+ display was beautiful.... but I think the other things on the Pixel - and that it is Android - made my choice!!!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For what it is worth, I put it side by side with my N7 and I could not pick a winner. They are both very good. Admittedly, I did not do a big scientific test. I pulled up a few different pictures and web sites and home screens -- something that reflected real life usage, not a testing environment.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The XL is brighter and whiter than my n7 and 7e indoors under various lighting conditions. I didn't like the pink hue in those screens.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Screen is fine but not as great as Samsung screens, in fact I even prefer the iPhone 7 plus screen over this. But everything else on the phone is superb.
How could the 1080p lcd screen on the iPhone 7 plus be better than the quad HD super amoled of the Pixel?? Doesn't even remotely compare in my mind. Maybe you prefer it but for what exact reasons I'd be curious to know.