Google Pixel XL or LG V20?

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I am going to post this in the LG V20 forum as well but I want view points from BOTH sides. I know there will be some bias which is why I will do that.

I am returning my iPhone 7 Plus tomorrow and moving to Android full time. The 128 GB Pixel XL is back ordered until December. The 32 GB Pixel XL is shipping November 2nd but with twins on the way I need something with more storage. I will be taking a lot of pictures, videos, and I like to have movies on my phone. I do not feel 32 GB would suffice.

The LG V20 is in stock locally and reviews have been great. I like the 5.7" screen and I also like the 2nd screen on it.

I have never had a Google or LG phone so I am looking for advice. Thanks!

I returned the pixel and got the LG v20...I love this phone! I put an sd card in and have over 300 GB storage. Its much more customizable and very professional in quality imho.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it's safe to say the specific phones are not good fit for all. Good news is the market has multiple really good phones and with great cameras. I did buy a 128 just bc I wanted the 128, not sure I will ever use all of it's storage. When I had the Nexus 6p with 64GB I did use more than 32, but never got passed 40gb. I only cleared my photos/videos about 3-4 times during a year as everything I had was being backedup to Google Photos.. I'm not even kidding wether you have a Pixel or another android phone or even and iPhone please do yourself a favor and download Google Photos and setup the unlimited high quality resolution backup when connected to wifi so you don't use your data and always have your backup. For those with pixels nothing to be configured as it auto backs up full resolution.

I saw great reviews on the LG V20 as well.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I returned the pixel and got the LG v20...I love this phone! I put an sd card in and have over 300 GB storage. Its much more customizable and very professional in quality imho.
I have seen great reviews on the LG V20. Personally when I was in the store it just did not feel comfortable in my hand. Probably because I do not have very large hands and with a 5.7" screen it is a very large device. Overall though it is a great looking phone and I would imagine it will operate as you need it to! Enjoy the new phone! :)

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it's safe to say the specific phones are not good fit for all. Good news is the market has multiple really good phones and with great cameras. I did buy a 128 just bc I wanted the 128, not sure I will ever use all of it's storage. When I had the Nexus 6p with 64GB I did use more than 32, but never got passed 40gb. I only cleared my photos/videos about 3-4 times during a year as everything I had was being backedup to Google Photos.. I'm not even kidding wether you have a Pixel or another android phone or even and iPhone please do yourself a favor and download Google Photos and setup the unlimited high quality resolution backup when connected to wifi so you don't use your data and always have your backup. For those with pixels nothing to be configured as it auto backs up full resolution.

I saw great reviews on the LG V20 as well.
With my iPhone I had a 128GB model but that was because I had plenty of iPhones and I knew almost everything I needed to about the phones. With the Pixel XL, I do not know as much and before I shell out $100+ more for the 128GB I want to make sure I like the phone. With the Pixel XL 2 or whatever it is called, I may go larger variant but luckily I do not store music on my device and I do not have a ton of apps. Only 57 which takes up less than 2.5 GB. The 21 remaining GB I have will be used for photos and videos and then I'll hit wifi at home and theyll back up and I will have that space free again! :)

brian sager

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG V10 on T-Mobile. I got my Google Pixel (not XL) last week and so far I love it. Haven't used the V10 since. Like you I was going back and forth between the Pixel and V20. I haven't looked at the V10 yet.

I'm not a heavy app user. I have Facebook, a couple games and a few other apps. Pics, sure. With kids and dogs I take a lot. But it's nice that it's saves them.

Love Google Assistant. It's very nice. I'm using also an LG Platinum Bluetooth headset and I absolutely love how they all work seamlessly.

No bloatware since I got it from Google Store. I like the app tray. The fingerprint sensor works flawlessly.

So far, only complaint is battery life. I love the USB type C and it does charge quickly. My battery life complaint is similar to most other phones though. I haven't seen or found one smart phone that lasts all day with even moderate use. My LG V10 I had a Zerolemon extended battery. Made my phone a brick but it did last.

Also if you get the Google Pixel or any new phone with USB type C and have the old USB micro chargers I would certainly get some adapters. I got some from Amazon pretty cheap. A 2 pack and I also got a car charger.

I don't see needing more than 32 GB unless you have tons of large and heavy use apps.

Looking forward to Googles VR but looks like it will be at least a month or so. That kind of drinks.

I have a rubber case I got from Amazon and screen protectors. Screen protector needs some work. It's okay but slight gap around edges but it covers workable screen.

I am going to post this in the LG V20 forum as well but I want view points from BOTH sides. I know there will be some bias which is why I will do that.

I am returning my iPhone 7 Plus tomorrow and moving to Android full time. The 128 GB Pixel XL is back ordered until December. The 32 GB Pixel XL is shipping November 2nd but with twins on the way I need something with more storage. I will be taking a lot of pictures, videos, and I like to have movies on my phone. I do not feel 32 GB would suffice.

The LG V20 is in stock locally and reviews have been great. I like the 5.7" screen and I also like the 2nd screen on it.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, since you're ALREADY of the mindset that having "twins" you'll need TWO of everything, i say, "get BOTH"! lol

seriously, tho, have you ever used Android? The Pixel's stock experience is NOT for the faint of heart, a REAL learning curve there, and i've been w/ Android since DAY ONE : )

BTC

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I have both currently for a few days. I like the pixel xl much better. It's the one I keep picking up to use. The v20 is excellent. If I didn't have the pixel sitting next to it I would love it. I still can't believe the pixel is a first gen product. Feels way more refined than the v20. If you're coming from an iPhone go pixel. All those extra weird settings and hoops to jump through on the LG will likely annoy u.

Friar Matt

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Google's throwing in free unlimited photo and video cloud storage for anyone who buys a Pixel.

Google's throwing in free unlimited photo and video cloud storage for anyone who buys a Pixel.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google's throwing in free unlimited photo and video cloud storage for anyone who buys a Pixel.

How do you set up the phone so photos and videos go straight to the cloud and not the phone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google's throwing in free unlimited photo and video cloud storage for anyone who buys a Pixel.

How do you set up the phone so photos and videos go straight to the cloud and not the phone?

You can't have them go straight to the cloud. You have to take them and then have it back them up to the cloud. After that you can tell the app to clear out all photos/videos that have been backed up already.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an LG V10 on T-Mobile. I got my Google Pixel (not XL) last week and so far I love it. Haven't used the V10 since. Like you I was going back and forth between the Pixel and V20. I haven't looked at the V10 yet.

I'm not a heavy app user. I have Facebook, a couple games and a few other apps. Pics, sure. With kids and dogs I take a lot. But it's nice that it's saves them.

Love Google Assistant. It's very nice. I'm using also an LG Platinum Bluetooth headset and I absolutely love how they all work seamlessly.

No bloatware since I got it from Google Store. I like the app tray. The fingerprint sensor works flawlessly.

So far, only complaint is battery life. I love the USB type C and it does charge quickly. My battery life complaint is similar to most other phones though. I haven't seen or found one smart phone that lasts all day with even moderate use. My LG V10 I had a Zerolemon extended battery. Made my phone a brick but it did last.

Also if you get the Google Pixel or any new phone with USB type C and have the old USB micro chargers I would certainly get some adapters. I got some from Amazon pretty cheap. A 2 pack and I also got a car charger.

I don't see needing more than 32 GB unless you have tons of large and heavy use apps.

Looking forward to Googles VR but looks like it will be at least a month or so. That kind of drinks.

I have a rubber case I got from Amazon and screen protectors. Screen protector needs some work. It's okay but slight gap around edges but it covers workable screen.

Hey there I bet if you had the Pixel XL in regards to battery life you would experience way more battery. Attached I have 2 screen shots from my usage yesterday. The phone has been off the charger for 24 hrs a whole day and on screen time was 4hrs and voice calls time was 43 mins. I still had 65% battery left. When I went to bed I had about 68% and then woke up with the 65%. Yeah over night there was no usage, but still the stand by time rocks. Even so with 4 hrs of usage and 43 min voice call I had 68%. So far the phone's battery has been working great for me. Even right now typing this message I have 92% left after taking the phone off the charger at 10am and it is now 6;10pm. The difference is today I only used the screen for 31 mins the rest is just stand by time.

Screenshot_20161102-095652.jpgScreenshot_20161102-095658.jpg

Tf407

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site

They will be saved to both until you free up device storage in Google photos app under settings

Make sure Google photos is set to auto back up and with cellular that way they are auto sent to the cloud

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

They will be saved to both until you free up device storage in Google photos app under settings

Make sure Google photos is set to auto back up and with cellular that way they are auto sent to the cloud

Thank you!