New Pixel 7 rants and questions

Calab

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
So, we have replaced our old phones, An LG G8Thinq and a Huawei P20 Pro, with Pixel 7 phones. The new Pixel phones look and feel good, and what little we've used the camera for is great. We do miss some feature from the old phone though and was wondering if there was a way to bring them to the new phones.

#1 - 5 icons across on the home screen. My wife's phone has this option, but mine does not. They are both running the recently updated Android 14.
#2 - Can the clock be removed from the top of the home screen to gain some screen real estate?
#3 - My LG phone could adjust the volume of the ringer and notifications separately. I need this because I need to get all my calls, even at night. I do NOT want to hear the notification sounds once I've gone to bed.
#4 - Some of the apps I was using on my LG phone don't work on the new phone. Notably, Beautiful Widgets Pro, 3D space parallax wallpaper, none of my Angry Birds, and Pic Combo.
#5 - I don't use the Google bar. Is there a way to remove it from the home screen?

I'm sure I will notice more differences as I look through the new and different features on my Pixel 7 phone.

The screenshot below is from my old LG phone.

Screenshot_20231121-162231.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Long-press any empty part of the homescreen, then tap Wallpaper & Style, then set App Grid to 4x5 or 5x5.

2. Which clock are you referring to -- the clock in the status bar (at the very upper left). Can you show us a screenshot of your current Pixel 7 homescreen? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

3. Press a volume button, then press the 3-dot menu button at the bottom of the slider. You'll then see separate volume sliders for Ring and Notification.

4. The problem with older apps is that newer Pixel phones are only compatible with 64-bit apps. Those apps you mentioned are likely 32-bit apps. Send feedback to those developers and ask them to work on 64-bit versions.

5. If you're using the stock Pixel Launcher, there's no way to remove the Google search bar. Your best bet would be to install a 3rd party launcher like Nova, which gives you much more control over how everything looks.

Calab

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
1. Long-press any empty part of the homescreen, then tap Wallpaper & Style, then set App Grid to 4x5 or 5x5.

2. Which clock are you referring to -- the clock in the status bar (at the very upper left). Can you show us a screenshot of your current Pixel 7 homescreen? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

3. Press a volume button, then press the 3-dot menu button at the bottom of the slider. You'll then see separate volume sliders for Ring and Notification.

4. The problem with older apps is that newer Pixel phones are only compatible with 64-bit apps. Those apps you mentioned are likely 32-bit apps. Send feedback to those developers and ask them to work on 64-bit versions.

5. If you're using the stock Pixel Launcher, there's no way to remove the Google search bar. Your best bet would be to install a 3rd party launcher like Nova, which gives you much more control over how everything looks.
Thank you! I could not find the grid by going into settings.

The date and weather at the top of the screen here. Can this be removed so you can add more widgets or icons?

I see the separate volumes now. I swear that wasn't that way when I tried to adjust the volume. It could have been before I did the Andriod 14 update.

I figured that these apps can't be migrated. I will try and find suitable replacements.

Third party launcher? I will need to look at this more. Are these found in the App store, or should I be looking elsewhere for launchers? I know this is a Google phone, but I still expect to have the option to remove it. I can live with it I guess.

Thank you for all the help! It's really appreciated!

My Pixel 7 home screen:
Screenshot_20231121-185138.png

Calab

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Regarding using another launcher, it seems that there is a bug in Android 14 that is breaking them. I guess I will wait for a fix.

[edit] It seems that Nova Launcher isn't compatible with my Pixel 7 phone. It doesn't show up in the Play Store on my phone, and it says I don't have any compatible devices on the Google web store. [/edit]

:(

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Regarding using another launcher, it seems that there is a bug in Android 14 that is breaking them. I guess I will wait for a fix.

[edit] It seems that Nova Launcher isn't compatible with my Pixel 7 phone. It doesn't show up in the Play Store on my phone, and it says I don't have any compatible devices on the Google web store. [/edit]

:(
Try beta ..it's running perfectly on my P8P

Reactions: Calab

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My Son has just migrated from his P 20 pro to my old pixel 7pro and had similar issues.. He's using Nova launcher and is more than happy... It's a bit of a jump but he's really enjoying the change... Good luck... 👍🏻

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Rumor has it that Google is working on some new stuff for At A Glance including the ability to remove it for those that don't want to see At A Glance on their home screen. It's just a rumor right now, but some people would like the option to remove it.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
For #1, try restarting the phone then check in the settings again. This worked for me.
Had done a Factory Reset for a screen replace on my P7P and when I got it back and started to set it up there was no Grid options at all until I restarted.

Calab

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
For #1, try restarting the phone then check in the settings again. This worked for me.
Had done a Factory Reset for a screen replace on my P7P and when I got it back and started to set it up there was no Grid options at all until I restarted.
Yup... got it working. I ended up installing Nova Launcher anyhow. I didn't like the wasted real estate on the top and bottom of the screen that the Pixel launcher had.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Couldn't stand that either...was going to eventually use a Launcher but wanted to try out stock first and Its been over a year I guess I got use to it. How is Nova going? Maybe I'll try it out one day

Calab

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't stand that either...was going to eventually use a Launcher but wanted to try out stock first and Its been over a year I guess I got use to it. How is Nova going? Maybe I'll try it out one day
I'm liking it. I'm using the Nova 8.0.8 beta and the PlayStore Nova Prime. Getting the notification badges to work was a bit of trouble, but once I found the setting I needed it works fine.

Screenshot_20231130-150139.jpg

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where to post this, but "rant" sounds about right. I have P7P. The first one bricked (sort of) while still under warranty (screen went black, phone would ring, messages dinged, but couldn't answer). Now I have this replacement. All is good...except the finger sensor is the pits. Works for a minute, then I have to use the passcode and reenter prints. I don't mind as much for unlock, but entering my password to unlock password keeper and bank app stinks. This is my first Pixel. I cannot figure out how to turn off notification sound without also turning off messages sound. Not pleased with the Inability to customize. I loved my LG and cried when LG stopped making them. My carrier said it wasn't compatible with their IU, or whatever, and sent a free cheap Samsung. I HATE Samsung. Every charging port fails. I will not go to the dark side and buy an Apple. Rant over. Help an old lady out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the messages you're interested in are from established contacts, then you can simply turn on Do Not Disturb, but make sure you make an exception for your contacts. Go to Settings>Notifications>Do Not Disturb>People>Messages, and check whichever option is appropriate for you. It could be Starred Contacts only, or anyone in your entire Contacts list, etc. Once you've made that exception, turn on Do Not Disturb, and you won't get any other notifications except messages from those selected contacts.