Might hesitate to buy a 2017 Pixel

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Love my 128 GB Pixel. What can Google do to entice me to dump this one and get a 2017 when it come out? Faster Qualcomm processor built on 10 nm ? My Pixel is really, really fast now. Better resolution? What I have is fine, but better resolution is always good if it comes without killing the battery. Battery life? Great now, probably be better with a new processor. Stereo speakers? Hmmm, interesting if they do it. Loyalty? Yeah, I am a Google fan, but the Iphone 8 will be a pretty good phone. Price will be about the same as the Iphone 8. Hard decision, but if I can get a good price for my Pixel, I will always get the newest and best!!

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Well they'll always find something.

Hardware gains have started to stall, so they'll simply entice upgrades/improvements via the software. I mean, they've already done it with the Nexus 6P and the Pixel.

I know most of you think the Pixel is the best thing ever made, but there's honestly no real material gain from the Nexus 6P besides the software each is running. Phones are simply just that good these days, there's very little to improve on besides the software.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well they'll always find something.

Hardware gains have started to stall, so they'll simply entice upgrades/improvements via the software. I mean, they've already done it with the Nexus 6P and the Pixel.

I know most of you think the Pixel is the best thing ever made, but there's honestly no real material gain from the Nexus 6P besides the software each is running. Phones are simply just that good these days, there's very little to improve on besides the software.

Which is true -- But the camera software for the Pixel versus the 6P is extremely noticeable if you have ever used both.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Which is true -- But the camera software for the Pixel versus the 6P is extremely noticeable if you have ever used both.
Right, and the thing with software (and this is particularly true with UI), is that most people don't really know what's best without actually using it.

So software changes over time; people use it, recommend changes, and those changes are implemented as they usually have merit.

With the 6P there's nothing stopping Google from running the pixel's software. They just made a conscious decision not to.

This is how they improve on new products these days; hardware wise, everything is good enough already, it's in software that the biggest improvements happen.

So to the OP, to answer your question; for future Pixels, you can expect better software that your current Pixel might not get.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Right, and the thing with software (and this is particularly true with UI), is that most people don't really know what's best without actually using it.

So software changes over time; people use it, recommend changes, and those changes are implemented as they usually have merit.

With the 6P there's nothing stopping Google from running the pixel's software. They just made a conscious decision not to.

This is how they improve on new products these days; hardware wise, everything is good enough already, it's in software that the biggest improvements happen.

So to the OP, to answer your question; for future Pixels, you can expect better software that your current Pixel might not get.

By that same argument -- what is stopping Samsung from updating old notes with new software to add said features? Sure they can't add things like eye scanners but all those note like features could be added in -- why don't they?

I get you personally don't like the Pixel but you act sometimes like Google did something different here and act like other companies have never done the same. They all upgrade phones and add newer hardware + software to the latest models. Apple even does it from time to time with certain features such as when Siri first came out. There was 0 reason they couldn't add it to the older ones except to push people to the new.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
By that same argument -- what is stopping Samsung from updating old notes with new software to add said features? Sure they can't add things like eye scanners but all those note like features could be added in -- why don't they?

I get you personally don't like the Pixel but you act sometimes like Google did something different here and act like other companies have never done the same. They all upgrade phones and add newer hardware + software to the latest models. Apple even does it from time to time with certain features such as when Siri first came out. There was 0 reason they couldn't add it to the older ones except to push people to the new.

Do I really need to preface all my statements with "Oh btw, other manufacturers do this too!" so that it doesn't offend you or something?

Nothing is stopping any manufacturer from updating older models? Why would I bring up Samsung here when we're talking about Google's Pixel? Have some objectivity please.

It should go without saying that my posts hold true for the entire industry, if you want to read that as a bash against Google that's honestly your prerogative, I can't help you there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do I really need to preface all my statements with "Oh btw, other manufacturers do this too!" so that it doesn't offend you or something?

Nothing is stopping any manufacturer from updating older models? Why would I bring up Samsung here when we're talking about Google's Pixel? Have some objectivity please.

When did I say I was offended? Just because someone may rebuttal something you said doesn't mean they were offended -- we are having a discussion are we not?

I am simply saying you act as if Google is doing something different and the answer is they aren't. Most new phones are pretty much new hardware and a few tweaks to software. There usually isn't a huge "OMG" improvement so .. Pixel is in the same boat.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
When did I say I was offended? Just because someone may rebuttal something you said doesn't mean they were offended -- we are having a discussion are we not?

I am simply saying you act as if Google is doing something different and the answer is they aren't. Most new phones are pretty much new hardware and a few tweaks to software. There usually isn't a huge "OMG" improvement so .. Pixel is in the same boat.
How exactly have I acted that Google alone does this? I used the 6P as an example because we're talking about Pixels (shocker I know). Please quote anything I have said in this thread that could lead a rationale person to that conclusion. I will wait.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How exactly have I acted that Google alone does this? Please quote anything I have said in this thread that could lead a rationale person to that conclusion. I will wait.

You said ...

So I said yep -- just like all the others :).

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
You said ...

So I said yep -- just like all the others :).

You're really stretching with your definition of 'rational' over there.

Regardless of how you might feel, my use of the 6P and Google as an example does not preclude that other OEMs aren't implicit in the practice.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to go out of my way to preface every post with "Apple and Samsung do it too!" just so you don't get bothered.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You're really stretching with your definition of 'rational' over there.

Regardless of how you might feel, my use of the 6P and Google as an example does not preclude that other OEMs aren't implicit in the practice.

You're welcome to feel how you feel -- I am simply saying they all do it. I have used many phones the past few months and all of them could have had those features to the old but they didn't -- same as Pixel :).

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome to feel how you feel -- I am simply saying they all do it. I have used many phones the past few months and all of them could have had those features to the old but they didn't -- same as Pixel :).
I'm saying they all do it too (did you even read my past 3 or 4 posts?). I just didn't feel the need to mention that as it's painfully obvious that this is an industry trend to anyone not looking to pick a fight.

My choice of example was based on the subject of discussion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying they all do it too (did you even read my past 3 or 4 posts?). I just didn't feel the need to mention that as it's painfully obvious that this is an industry trend to anyone not looking to pick a fight.

My choice of example was based on the subject of discussion.

So was mine :). I stated a fact and agreed with you on your point that the 2017 Pixel will most likely be better hardware with a few tweaks here and there that won't be found on the 2016 (if at all).

If anything any one of these phones this year could go 2+ years easy for most people but a lot of us are huge nerds and have upgrade problems :p.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I say the exact same thing every year, and every single year I watch the announcement and immediately pre-order the new Nexus/Pixel device, and every single year I notice significant improvements. I have never regretted my decision and I purchase outright full price every year. There are always ways to improve, if not on the processing side there is plenty to be done with things like the camera/battery/screen/speakers/waterproofing/headphone quality/RAM speed, nand type, etc.

Again, I am left wondering how they could make the pixel faster, better, etc. but they will, and I'll probably buy it.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
@Go0gle - I like your thinking - get the latest - pay for it - and move on down the road.

ETA - With all the "deals" floating around now, it will be interesting to see how many are satisfied with them in 9 months

Last edited: