Switching from S23 ultra to P8P?

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi
I have the S23U and though its a very good phone, I am tired of samsung UI and the weight.
Looks like the S24U won't be lighter.
So now that I can sell my S23U at full price before the S24U is revealed in January, I am very tempted to try the Pixel 8 Pro.
Never had a pixel before, my only Google phone was the Nexus 1! I loved the Oneplus 7 pro though and preferred its UI to samsung OneUi.
Anyone also made the jump (of faith) from samsung Ultra phones to a Pixel 8 Pro?
If yes any remorse?
Is the battery that bad given the reviews?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I have the S23U and though its a very good phone, I am tired of samsung UI and the weight.
So now that I can sell my S23U at full price before the S24U is revealed in January, I am very tempted to try the Pixel 8 Pro.
Never had a pixel before, my only Google phone was the Nexus 1! I loved the Oneplus 7 pro though and preferred its UI to samsung OneUi.
Anyone also made the jump (of faith) from samsung Ultra phones to a Pixel 8 Pro?
If yes any remorse?
For me my battery lasts all day. And if you are one of those that measure battery life by screen on time I consistently get 4 to 5 hours by the time my phone gets between 40 to 45% of battery left. That's coming off the charger at 3am and going back on between 7 and 8 pm.

Reactions: BinuJeff

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
For me my battery lasts all day. And if you are one of those that measure battery life by screen on time I consistently get 4 to 5 hours by the time my phone gets between 40 to 45% of battery left. That's coming off the charger at 3am and going back on between 7 and 8 pm.
Nice
It's not far from what I get with the S23U, I would get 55% with your usage at the end of the day with the Samsung, 10% difference is not a big deal.

Reactions: bkeaver

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I came from the Pixel 7 pro to the S23U. Little things about the Pixel annoyed me. The screen brightness and inability to use it in direct sunlight without it dimming after a few minutes was annoying. The auto brightness on it was annoying as well. I would keep it on and whenever I would manually adjust it, it would lower back down whenever I was indoors after a few minutes. So it wasn't smart enough to keep it at a higher level whenever I'd manually move the slider. I have absolutely no issues with the S23 ultra's auto brightness or direct sunlight brightness.

I don't know that I'd sell my S23U first without trying the Pixel for the 14 days or so to see if you like it or not. Every time I've tried to use a Google phone, even with all the Pixel exclusive features, there's always a few things on them that annoy me which causes me to switch back to Samsung. I gave the P7P 1 year and I ended up trading it for the S23 ultra. For me, the annoying things out weighed the Pixel exclusive features and ruined the experience for me.

I absolutely love the Spen and my daughter is always wanting to play around with and make silly notes and drawings with it and she is 11.

I truly believe the best experience on a smartphone is either with a Samsung or iPhone. At least with the phones we have available in the U.S. I realize that some phones may excel at other things, but overall Samsung and Apple deliver the most consistent and smooth experience across all apps and features.

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
I came from the Pixel 7 pro to the S23U. Little things about the Pixel annoyed me. The screen brightness and inability to use it in direct sunlight without it dimming after a few minutes was annoying. The auto brightness on it was annoying as well. I would keep it on and whenever I would manually adjust it, it would lower back down whenever I was indoors after a few minutes. So it wasn't smart enough to keep it at a higher level whenever I'd manually move the slider. I have absolutely no issues with the S23 ultra's auto brightness or direct sunlight brightness.

I don't know that I'd sell my S23U first without trying the Pixel for the 14 days or so to see if you like it or not. Every time I've tried to use a Google phone, even with all the Pixel exclusive features, there's always a few things on them that annoy me which causes me to switch back to Samsung. I gave the P7P 1 year and I ended up trading it for the S23 ultra. For me, the annoying things out weighed the Pixel exclusive features and ruined the experience for me.

I absolutely love the Spen and my daughter is always wanting to play around with and make silly notes and drawings with it and she is 11.

I truly believe the best experience on a smartphone is either with a Samsung or iPhone. At least with the phones we have available in the U.S. I realize that some phones may excel at other things, but overall Samsung and Apple deliver the most consistent and smooth experience across all apps and features.
Well for me it's the opposite, I find it annoying that samsung doesn't let us increase the fonts/icons size in the statusbar when increasing the fonts size. I have astigmatism and feel much better viewing a screen that has all the info slightly bigger.
Same goes for the double tap to open things , if the let's say the apps drawer is still scrolling, even very slightly, you have to tap a 1st time to stop completely, then tap a 2nd time to open the app.
With the Oneplus phones I had, I could open an app or settings if the scrolling effect is nearly finished, I guess it's the same with Pixel

Last edited:

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Pixel 4 XL to an S22+ and am now back to the 8 Pro. I only reason I went to a Samsung was for the flat screen, but I was happy to get back to a Pixel. The Samsung UI has a few things I like but having both Samsung and Google apps on your phone was so annoying. I guess I could've only used the Samsung version of Phone, Calendar, etc., but I prefer the Google version. You also have 2 app stores which is overkill. Samsung also has so much bloat that's always running which you can't disable! I was constantly force stopping Samsung apps. All in all, I find the Pixel just more simpler to use.

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Yep
OneUi has some advantages like automatic image detection when taking a screenshot but it has also weird limitations and none custom launcher can fix it.
Pixel phones are also known to be easily rootable and have great custom roms no?

Reactions: J Dubbs

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have switched back and forth between Android and Apple a few times.

The last time, I decided I was never going back to Apple phones.

Never tried Samsung, too much bloatware, and superfluous “features”. Google is getting worse, in that respect, but will never rival Samsung.

Tried Motorola, but got tired of cheap phones that they wouldn’t update.

Pixels since the Pixel 5.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I like the premium hardware of Samsung flagships, and the customization options can be fun. I'm not so keen on the dueling apps though... too many duplicate apps fighting for your attention on the Samsung. That's where I prefer the cleaner, simpler, more straightforward approach of the Pixel.

They both have great software support, Sammy has really stepped up their game 👍

Overall I'm okay with either, and use both...but if I could only own one, it would be the pixel 😉

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Lots of great feedback already provided here. I have the Pixel 7 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and had the Pixle 8 Pro but ended up returning it. Didn't return the 8 Pro because of bad experiences or because it is a bad device, I couldn't justify spending the money as I actually prefer using the S23U.I agree with a lot that's been said here regarding Samsung and its overloaded software, redundant apps, etc. But I find some of their features not only extremely useful, but easy to use too.
Take Routines ... I've become so reliant (and spoiled) on several routines that I have set up it makes using other devices almost seem like a nuisance because they can't do these things automatically. Sure there are third-party apps that do what Routines does (and probably more) but I've found they can be difficult to use and have a steep learning curve. Also, some of these apps need root access to achieve what Routines already can because it's baked into the OS.
DEX is another incredible feature that Samsung offers. I have an old TV that I use as a monitor after a simple HDMI to USB C cable purchase from Amazon. I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard paired to my S23U so in a matter of seconds I have a desktop experience.
The ability to drag from the corner on any app to make it a floating app is handy.
Edge Panels is another useful feature. Granted I only use the Apps panel, but to be able to have preset pairings that open in split screen is super handy and convenient.
Customization is incredible and Good Lock modules help expand that experience.
Then there's the S Pen, which admittedly I don't use often, but when precision is needed it's definitely nice to have.

All that being said, I'm not anti-Pixel by any means. For simple point-and-shoot pictures, the Pixel is much better than Samsung in my experience. The feel in hand of both the 7 Pro and 8 Pro is better than that of the S23U IMO. Voice dictation is unmatched and being able to send messages hands-free is awesome. There's just something about Pixels that are intriguing to me ... hard to explain, but if you've never used a Pixel before it's definitely worth a try.

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Lots of great feedback already provided here. I have the Pixel 7 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and had the Pixle 8 Pro but ended up returning it. Didn't return the 8 Pro because of bad experiences or because it is a bad device, I couldn't justify spending the money as I actually prefer using the S23U.I agree with a lot that's been said here regarding Samsung and its overloaded software, redundant apps, etc. But I find some of their features not only extremely useful, but easy to use too.
Take Routines ... I've become so reliant (and spoiled) on several routines that I have set up it makes using other devices almost seem like a nuisance because they can't do these things automatically. Sure there are third-party apps that do what Routines does (and probably more) but I've found they can be difficult to use and have a steep learning curve. Also, some of these apps need root access to achieve what Routines already can because it's baked into the OS.
DEX is another incredible feature that Samsung offers. I have an old TV that I use as a monitor after a simple HDMI to USB C cable purchase from Amazon. I have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard paired to my S23U so in a matter of seconds I have a desktop experience.
The ability to drag from the corner on any app to make it a floating app is handy.
Edge Panels is another useful feature. Granted I only use the Apps panel, but to be able to have preset pairings that open in split screen is super handy and convenient.
Customization is incredible and Good Lock modules help expand that experience.
Then there's the S Pen, which admittedly I don't use often, but when precision is needed it's definitely nice to have.

All that being said, I'm not anti-Pixel by any means. For simple point-and-shoot pictures, the Pixel is much better than Samsung in my experience. The feel in hand of both the 7 Pro and 8 Pro is better than that of the S23U IMO. Voice dictation is unmatched and being able to send messages hands-free is awesome. There's just something about Pixels that are intriguing to me ... hard to explain, but if you've never used a Pixel before it's definitely worth a try.
That's the thing, all the things you mentioned on s23u I don't use them even after trying them, neither routines nor spen (used it twice over 11 months to make stickers), nor hdmi.
I understand why you prefer the S23U as you definitely like these, but personally the only thing I liked more in Oneui compared to my previous Oneplus phones and htc, is the automatic detection and selection of images when doing screenshots.
For the rest I prefer the stock alike UI.
Now I must reckon that I will perhaps miss the superb battery of the S23U, it helped when travelling in planes without screen or if my flight is postponed, but it looks like the S24U as well as all snapdragon gen 3 smartphones will suffer a worse battery than gen 2 anyway.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, all the things you mentioned on s23u I don't use them even after trying them, neither routines nor spen (used it twice over 11 months to make stickers), nor hdmi.
I understand why you prefer the S23U as you definitely like these, but personally the only thing I liked more in Oneui compared to my previous Oneplus phones and htc, is the automatic detection and selection of images when doing screenshots.
For the rest I prefer the stock alike UI.
Now I must reckon that I will perhaps miss the superb battery of the S23U, it helped when travelling in planes without screen or if my flight is postponed, but it looks like the S24U as well as all snapdragon gen 3 smartphones will suffer a worse battery than gen 2 anyway.
Then it definitely sounds like you will enjoy the pixel experience!

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
If you look at my signature, you'll see that I switched to Samsung Galaxys at the S7 curve. I was firmly in the camp up until the S21 but kept that phone longer than usual because they really weren't doing anything new other than a newer processor and storage options. In a cost-savings move, I went to the Pixel 8 Pro, and let me tell you, it was worth it. I used to love my space zoom, but I don't miss it with the way the Pixel does photos with the AI now. I, too, had an S-Pen, but never used it after all these years of FOMO and then I got one and used it twice. The bloatware weighed on me, and boy, does it take up space on the phone. Another mentioned competing apps, and I never really thought about it, but yeah, that got annoying really quickly. Currently, I'm all in on Google with the phone, the earbuds, soon-to-be the Pixel Watch 2 (although I LOVED the Galaxy 5 Watch Pro's battery life), and home products from speakers to their wifi, thermostat, doorbell, and in the near future, 2 additional outdoor cameras. I wish I could say what I miss about the Samsung devices, they are very nice and powerful phones, but I'm not missing a thing. I'm really not.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Reading all the comments here you would think we're talking about a Nexus phone and not a Google Pixel which has a heavily weighted UI like One UI and also has bloatware.

While the Pixel 8 pro is a amazing phone especially compared with previous pixels. It still doesn't hold a candle to the Samsung s23 series.
I miss my Nexus. It does make me laugh when Pixel users think they are running "Stock Android" though lol.

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi
If yes any remorse?
I switched to the Pixel Pro from the S22 Ultra. I've had a Samsung for as long as I can remember. S3 I think. I'm happy that I made the switch. Battery life is better. Photos are EXTREMELY better by a long shot. I kept my watch, Samsung 6 classic, and it works well with the Pixel. I'm happy I made the switch! I love the Pixel. First Pixel that I've owned but it won't be my last!!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So I have the Galaxy S23U and moved to the Pixel 8 Pro when it came out then went back to the Galaxy S23U.

The Galaxy has much better battery life, faster, better reception, less buggy and if you play games - is much better for that. It basically has a far superior processor and modem which leads to a bunch of improvements across the board. It also has a more versatile camera in that it has an additional lense which can do more things with it, plus video recording is better on the Galaxy. The UI is much more customisable as well in that you can change basically anything you want and with Good Lock, it takes customisation to pretty crazy levels.

I do prefer the Pixel camera if you're pulling out the phone, snapping a picture and putting it away, but that isn't enough to overcome the plethora of issues I've have with it. I'm just constantly concerned about battery and reception. If I'm out on 5G, the battery tanks, sometimes I'll lose connectivity and so Google wallet won't work at my train station for me to swipe past the gates, so I have to use my travel card. Never had an issue with that on the S23U.

Also, from what I've been reading, the Galaxy S24Ultra is supposed to be titanium? If that's the case, it should be lighter than the S23Ultra?

But give the Pixel a shot. You might really enjoy it far more than your S23Ultra, so it'll be the better pick for you.