Are there differences depending on source?

smk5867

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Aside from where it is sold, and the inclusion (or not) of some Verizon bloatware, are there any functional differences between pixels purchased at Verizon versus one purchased through Google? Am I able to take a previously acquired pixel from Google and use it on Verizon?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Aside from where it is sold, and the inclusion (or not) of some Verizon bloatware, are there any functional differences between pixels purchased at Verizon versus one purchased through Google? Am I able to take a previously acquired pixel from Google and use it on Verizon?
Yes and no. On both. In theory putting a Verizon sim in a Pixel will install the removable bloatware. This doesn't always happen and there has been some debate. Might only happen on VZ branded phones. The only other differences is the locked bootloader on the VZ phone. This means not custom ROMs. But usually that is to get your phone to the state a Pixel pretty much starts at.

As for using a Google purchased Pixel on Verizon. It will work fine. Assuming you already have nano SIM from Verizon to put into the device. Verizon is really difficult to deal with when dealing with unbranded phones. Most of the time they won't give you a SIM for an unactivated and or non VZ branded phone.

smk5867

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes and no. On both. In theory putting a Verizon sim in a Pixel will install the removable bloatware. This doesn't always happen and there has been some debate. Might only happen on VZ branded phones. The only other differences is the locked bootloader on the VZ phone. This means not custom ROMs. But usually that is to get your phone to the state a Pixel pretty much starts at.

As for using a Google purchased Pixel on Verizon. It will work fine. Assuming you already have nano SIM from Verizon to put into the device. Verizon is really difficult to deal with when dealing with unbranded phones. Most of the time they won't give you a SIM for an unactivated and or non VZ branded phone.

Thank you for your reply. I should have also included the fact that what I am hoping to do is to take the Google Pixel that I purchased through Google and currently use on AT&T and switch carriers to Verizon, if they will let me bring my own phone and just provide me with a plan and a sim card.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
They should let you do that . I've been on Verizon for a long time but am not under contract with them as I've brought my own device over to them a lot of times and just had them activate it for me, which they did

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Only if you root. Otherwise, identical.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the Google XL and have used it on Verizon since day 1. Also have a Verizon bought regular Pixel, obviously works on Verizon but also works on Project Fi.

smk5867

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the Google XL and have used it on Verizon since day 1. Also have a Verizon bought regular Pixel, obviously works on Verizon but also works on Project Fi.

Did u buy your Pixel from Verizon or from Google? If from Google, when you use it on Verizon do you get Verizon's HD voice and wifi calling? I know that when using carrier branded phones versus unlocked phones there has been some services available / not available, but the argument here is the the Pixel phone is exactly the same no matter where you buy it and the services all come into play when you put in your SIM and activate. Can you confirm?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Did u buy your Pixel from Verizon or from Google? If from Google, when you use it on Verizon do you get Verizon's HD voice and wifi calling? I know that when using carrier branded phones versus unlocked phones there has been some services available / not available, but the argument here is the the Pixel phone is exactly the same no matter where you buy it and the services all come into play when you put in your SIM and activate. Can you confirm?
I got the XL from Google. 100% of Verizon things that work on the Verizon version work on the Google version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii