Buy a Pixel XL now or wait for G6/S8

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and I was thinking the same. I have decided to go with a Pixel XL in a month when I can upgrade. I am also a little worried about Samsung with the note 7 issue . I also like the software aspect of the pixel being pure android.

Had a S7E for a year. Have had no problems with it.
If you look around when you are out. A lot of folks have the S7 and the S7E and haven't had any problems with the batteries.
So there is no need to be skeered.
Samsung posted the problems they had with the batteries.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.

Or just wait for the Pixel 2?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What is this I hear about the pixel dropping wifi.
Where i live i have a very poor signal. i depend on wifi calling, and using wifi for the internet.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Count me in. My wife is about to set up an intervention on my phone swapping.

This is exactly what goes on in my household, I go back and forth got the Iphone7 plus, Pixel XL, I had to come with oh I am reviewing the phone. This way I can sell it and make my money back and she will do no harm to me lol.... I even have both of my daughters addicted to tech, fortunate to have the job that I do to support the habit but I need help lol.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
What is this I hear about the pixel dropping wifi.
Where i live i have a very poor signal. i depend on wifi calling, and using wifi for the internet.

Google finally shipped my pixel xl 128gb had it for about a week now and it has not dropped wifi at all, I have not had any bluetooth issues either. Granted I have only had the device for a week now so maybe in 3 weeks I willl report back.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Its March 16th.
The S8 will be out in about 2 weeks.
Buy a S8 or buy a Pixel XL
That is the question for the month.

I was debating this at the beginning of the month and I now have a Very Silver Pixel XL 128GB and I love it. I don't think I would like the new aspect ratio on the S8. Plus having to wait forever for updates. I am so glad I went with the Pixel XL and I don't think I will buy another non pure android device.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was debating this at the beginning of the month and I now have a Very Silver Pixel XL 128GB and I love it. I don't think I would like the new aspect ratio on the S8. Plus having to wait forever for updates. I am so glad I went with the Pixel XL and I don't think I will buy another non pure android device.
What is with the 18:9 aspect ratio? It is going to take over and I am praying the pixel 2 won't adopt it. I don't think they will, I want the pixel line to remain "different" from everyone else. I actually like the large bezels and the ugly chin. You can't even reach to the top of the phone to drag the status bar down on the G6 or S8. Not to mention there are zero bezels so good luck with all the miss-hits on the screen

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
What is with the 18:9 aspect ratio? It is going to take over and I am praying the pixel 2 won't adopt it. I don't think they will, I want the pixel line to remain "different" from everyone else. I actually like the large bezels and the ugly chin. You can't even reach to the top of the phone to drag the status bar down on the G6 or S8. Not to mention there are zero bezels so good luck with all the miss-hits on the screen

I agree with you. I actually don't mind the larger bezels on the Pixel either. With a zero bezel design I think it is also going to make cases much harder for phones. without a bezel there the case will start covering part of the screen.

I hope the Pixel 2 doesn't have the 18:9 aspect ratio either. I would be ok if the bezels shrunk a little bit but don't make them as small as the GS8 and the G6.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed numerous people have more than one pixel lol what is the reasoning for this?!
Not sure about other people. I tested a small Pixel in early October, bought the XL (black) at preorder, got an XL and small Pixel during the major Verizon/Best buy sales, have the small one to my wife, XL as a spare, traded the first XL for a blue one with a friend, bought an XL for a friend, just ordered another for a friend. So I have 3 pixel phones including my wife's, but I've bought 5 and had one more temporarily.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about other people. I tested a small Pixel in early October, bought the XL (black) at preorder, got an XL and small Pixel during the major Verizon/Best buy sales, have the small one to my wife, XL as a spare, traded the first XL for a blue one with a friend, bought an XL for a friend, just ordered another for a friend. So I have 3 pixel phones including my wife's, but I've bought 5 and had one more temporarily.
Geez!!!! And what r you doing with the 3rd pixel? Lol