Android System battery usage

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
What is everyone seeing for battery usage for the android system. Mine has been really high and the May update did not fix it. After 14 hrs it is 18%. Screen time is 35 mins and I am at 48%. This is a Pixel XL too. With heavy usage I am having problems making it all day. I was getting great battery no long ago.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well today with no usage (30 mins screen time) I am seeing 11% usage for the android system and I am at 66%. 10 hrs of the charger. By end of day I will be closer to 50% and 18 usage for the android system. Up until a few weeks ago during the week I would be at 70-75% at the end of the day with nothing over 9% usage during the week on days with similar usage. I am starting to think I might have a hardware issue.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
End of day and I am at 50% 39 min screen time. I called VERIZON and call went like this... they offered for me to take it to the store to replace the battery... huh? Are they able to do that in house with the Pixel? She the pulled up the account?? Then tried to get me Asurion's number... umm wouldn't the be warranty? She then said it would be insurance related? Huh why? Would there be a deductible? Should this not be warranty? Hold on while I get you tech support. Told him what was going on again and they are sending another phone.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
What's the signal strength look like on the battery usage graph? Regardless of whether you're on WiFi battery consumption is still going to be higher when cell signal is low, perhaps not anywhere near as much loss per hour as on cell alone in low signal areas but still.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
What's the signal strength look like on the battery usage graph? Regardless of whether you're on WiFi battery consumption is still going to be higher when cell signal is low, perhaps not anywhere near as much loss per hour as on cell alone in low signal areas but still.

At my office it is normally full signal home I see 60 to 75%. I am connected to wifi and have voice over wifi turn on there. I also have location services set to battery saver. It's odd nothing changed when I started have the issue. I cannot tie this to the OS update because it was fine a couple weeks.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar issues since the April update. Very noticeable and I'm regularly having to put the phone on a charger at some to get a little extra battery to make it through the day. Disappointing the May update doesn't appear to have fixed whatever went sideways in the April update.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I dropped in here just to see if others are noticing wicked battery drain since the May update.

So it appears I am not alone.

My Pixel has had exceptional battery life, lasting well into the second day after a charge.

Now, with the new May update, I can't get through the day. Nothing has changed with my usage pattern, or location.

Hey Google. Are you listening?

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I dropped in here just to see if others are noticing wicked battery drain since the May update.

So it appears I am not alone.

My Pixel has had exceptional battery life, lasting well into the second day after a charge.

Now, with the new May update, I can't get through the day. Nothing has changed with my usage pattern, or location.

Hey Google. Are you listening?
What are you seeing for battery usage with the android system?

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been experiencing the battery drain for the past week. Yesterday I finally did a factory reset on my XL. I am now 15 hrs off charger and @ 85% charge so things seem back to normal but we will see after this charge cycle.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So after lots of testing with both phones it was an issue with my original phone. I bought the phone and about a month and a half after having issues like this killed my confidence in the phone. While I loved lots of things about it and will miss it, I knew I had to dump it now if I was going to without totally loosing my butt. I went back to a boring iPhone. That is what everyone in the family has so things do work together better.

Anyway I post this to say thanks for all the info and also when I was swapping the tech told me they had been instructed to replace Pixel XL phones with user complaining of unusual battery drain after factory resetting. I confirmed it was not the same 30% battery issue that was reported with the pixel. He did not have any other information beyond that. It did explain why Verizon didn't do any troubleshooting when I called them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax