battery not getting full charge

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone was charging overnight, and this morning it was only at 97%; 39 minutes in and it's at 95%. I'd unplugged it before it hit a full charge a couple times over the weekend, but that shouldn't effect it this way.

I'm going to drain it fully today and see if that helps. Does anybody else have an idea on how to fix this?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's possible the USB cable is going bad. If you're regularly leaving it plugged in overnight or draining it to zero, it's also possible you've damaged the battery itself.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible the USB cable is going bad. If you're regularly leaving it plugged in overnight or draining it to zero, it's also possible you've damaged the battery itself.

I'll swap out my cord with the one in my car and see if that makes a difference. I don't usually charge my phone until it's below 30%. I am guilty of occasionally leaving it charging overnight. It's probably the cord.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't usually charge my phone until it's below 30%.
First mistake. 40% is about as low as you should let it go. (That 10% [or more] makes a difference.)

Second mistake - don't "drain it fully" - it's a lithium battery, not a Nicad battery. Draining it "completely" will just make it worse. (It may make it charge to 100%, but it will shorten the battery life.)

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
First mistake. 40% is about as low as you should let it go. (That 10% [or more] makes a difference.)

Second mistake - don't "drain it fully" - it's a lithium battery, not a Nicad battery. Draining it "completely" will just make it worse. (It may make it charge to 100%, but it will shorten the battery life.)

I'll try my other charging cable and keep my fingers crossed.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Mine gets to 100% but it takes literally hours to get from 97 to 100. I often take it off charge when it slows right down. But my battery life isn't too bad. I got over 6 hours screen on time earlier and it had over 20% left. And had been off charge for 11 hours. But as soon as I take it off the charger it drops to 98% immediately.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets to 100% but it takes literally hours to get from 97 to 100. I often take it off charge when it slows right down. But my battery life isn't too bad. I got over 6 hours screen on time earlier and it had over 20% left. And had been off charge for 11 hours. But as soon as I take it off the charger it drops to 98% immediately.

I still get a day out of the battery, it's just annoying that it doesn't show a full charge. I'll probably live with it for now.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
The last two times I charged my phone, I turned off Norton VPN and was able to get a full charge. My phone is at 93% now, so I'll see what happens when I charge it again with the VPN turned off.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having this issue with my Galaxy Note 5. It is not getting "fast charging" though it is charging. Could this be the problem with the charger or the cellphone it self

My charging problem is intermittent. I haven't been able to pinpoint when it's going to happen. I have found that re-plugging the phone into a different outlet after it doesn't get a full charge will sometimes bring it back to 100%. I don't think changing which outlet I plug into matters, but I do it anyhow. All I can say is that I see Pixel 4 XL in my future.