Screen swap

JessicaMertens

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
My screen broke on my Google pixel XL and I bought another Google pixel XL and I want to take the screen from the one and put it on the other. I'm wondering how hard it is to get it off without breaking the LCD because I don't want the screen of my new phone I just purchased to break trying to get it off I was able to get it off of the old phone that was broken

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you never done it I don't recommend you do it.
I have pretty good experience and still end up breaking the bottom corner on my pixel 2xl just needing a battery change .IMG_20200419_130728~3.jpeg

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Ouch. What I see the pros doing is using an expensive precision temp controlled hot plate to warm the phone back down. Even then extreme care is needed.
Haven't priced the hot plates but seems like a good idea if you're going to do this a lot.
Having the right tools make a big difference.
If you go too aggressive with a heat gun you can damage it, if not hot enough...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ouch. What I see the pros doing is using an expensive precision temp controlled hot plate to warm the phone back down. Even then extreme care is needed.
Haven't priced the hot plates but seems like a good idea if you're going to do this a lot.
Having the right tools make a big difference.
If you go too aggressive with a heat gun you can damage it, if not hot enough...
Oh yeah , I agree having right tools is a must , this one was stubborn and so was I lol so the results need new glass :)

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Oh yeah , I agree having right tools is a must , this one was stubborn and so was I lol so the results need new glass :)

That's exactly what my biggest concern would be or cracking the OLED if replacing the battery on the note 10.
It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.
My repair on a 5D and MK-1 were about the same in difficulty less the hot plate.

Ha-ha when they said glued I expected a big glob of hot glue instead neat reusable adhesive layer.
Fear factor reduced by a dozen points.
I see why they use glass backs now.
Sort of cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463