07-13-2018 07:47 PM
32 12
tools
    I need help making up my mind. The Surface Pro is on sale at Best Buy for $799 and the Pixelbook is $848 on Amazon right now (i5, 128 GB version). I will mainly use it for work. I am a therapist, have a private practice and most of my stuff is web based, although I use Office for documents, presentations and spreadsheets. I've been a MacBook Pro user for years and this would be the final break from Apple since I have an Android phone now. I realized how much I was paying for the MacBook and how little I was using the features. Will not having a full laptop limit me or is the Pixelbook and Chrome OS fully able to replace a laptop ? I read an article that says Consumer Reports is no longer recommending the Surface Pros or Microsoft devices. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be left wanting.
    07-08-2018 08:58 PM
    The question of a Chromebook being able to fully replace a conventional laptop really boils down to if you need something that's only available as an installed program, and doesn't have an online or Android app counterpart. If you subscribe to Office 365, then you should be fine with the online version or the Android app version (although I'm not sure if the installed Office suite might have more bells and whistles than the online version).
    07-09-2018 11:10 AM
    I read an article that says Consumer Reports is no longer recommending the Surface Pros or Microsoft devices. I just want to make sure I'm not going to be left wanting.
    I wouldn't worry too much about following CR on this. Their misgivings had to do with reliability ratings based on a survey of MS users, and all CR did was literally rescind a "recommended" rating bec. they thought MS's detachable laptops were logging too many user complaints to qualify for their recommendation. As for which machine to buy on sale, my general rule of thumb is, If ya gotta ask whether it's safe to buy a chromebook, then don't. You'll most likely be disappointed.
    07-09-2018 01:41 PM
    I'll cheerfully disagree with that. Chromebooks have been really coming into their own over the past year or so, as evidenced by more and more articles on major tech sites as well as mainstream sites describing positive experiences with switching. Someone who has been stuck in an ecosystem for a while, like Windows or MacOS, is bound to have questions about changing -- it's only natural. Perhaps the better approach might be to start with a more mid-range Chromebook, rather than springing for the very top-of-the-line Pixelbook right off the bat. (The Pixelbook, although a fantastic and beautiful machine, is pretty much overkill.) There are many excellent Chromebooks that run Android apps and have touchscreen capability in the $300-400 range.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    07-09-2018 10:17 PM
    I'll cheerfully disagree with that. Chromebooks have been really coming into their own over the past year or so, as evidenced by more and more articles on major tech sites as well as mainstream sites describing positive experiences with switching. Someone who has been stuck in an ecosystem for a while, like Windows or MacOS, is bound to have questions about changing -- it's only natural. Perhaps the better approach might be to start with a more mid-range Chromebook, rather than springing for the very top-of-the-line Pixelbook right off the bat. (The Pixelbook, although a fantastic and beautiful machine, is pretty much overkill.) There are many excellent Chromebooks that run Android apps and have touchscreen capability in the $300-400 range.
    Totally agree. I made the switch from Mac & IOS to chrome and android. I actually went all in with the chromebook.

My best advice is to see which programmes you use and see if they or their alternatives are available on chrome or goggle play store.

I went all out and bought the pixelbook as I fell in love with it but I agree the specs are overkill but in my eyes totally worth it. The machine runs smooth, backed up on the cloud so it all syncs with my phone. Good battery life and excellent keyboard.

As mentioned above you may want to try a chromebook if you can at a store to see if it's for you as well. The transition has been a lot smoother than I thought.
    B. Diddy and DMP89145 like this.
    07-10-2018 01:49 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much about following CR on this. Their misgivings had to do with reliability ratings based on a survey of MS users, and all CR did was literally rescind a "recommended" rating bec. they thought MS's detachable laptops were logging too many user complaints to qualify for their recommendation. As for which machine to buy on sale, my general rule of thumb is, If ya gotta ask whether it's safe to buy a chromebook, then don't. You'll most likely be disappointed.
    Yeah, that wasn't helpful. I'm asking because I want to get other opinions about the OS and if it's a decent replacement.
    07-10-2018 07:21 AM
    I went with the Pixelbook. I'm excited about it
    B. Diddy, DMP89145 and revtech like this.
    07-10-2018 11:44 AM
    Rock on! You won't be disappointed. I even went as far as buying a Pixel Pen on eBay (for about half the usual price). That's something else that really isn't necessary, but still nice to have -- I find myself using it more and more.
    07-10-2018 11:55 AM
    Rock on! You won't be disappointed. I even went as far as buying a Pixel Pen on eBay (for about half the usual price). That's something else that really isn't necessary, but still nice to have -- I find myself using it more and more.
    I had to as well. Accessorise lol
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-10-2018 02:41 PM
    As an Surface Pro (2017) user I recommend the Surface Pro. It is the most flexible of the two. I use mine for work, school, travelling, and even photo editing using Photoshop and Lightroom.

I can work on homework while my daughter is in gymnastics. I've even taken camping with me, so I could do image editing of any photos I took while camping.

My daughter will use it while we're stuck in traffic to do her homework.

The only real downside is that type cover (keyboard) and Surface Pen are extra. I have the i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD version. However, the i5 4GB RAM 128GB SSD version will probably fit your needs. I had the i5 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Surface Pro 3 for almost 4 years before getting the 2017 version.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-10-2018 05:56 PM
    Well I'm one that asked the question, made the jump and never looked back. There are things a Chromebook can't do but for those things I have other laptops. I mostly use the my Pixelbook now and you just can't beat the speed that this thing opens with and cruises at. You also never wait hours while Microsoft takes over your machine to update. I might add that another great feature is that if the OS takes a dive or gets buggy a quick reset fixes it all.
    B. Diddy and revtech like this.
    07-10-2018 06:29 PM
    It's not for everyone but it does everything I need on a daily basis and it does it better than anything else. For those occasional things I need to do I have alternatives but the Pixelbook is my go to device.
    07-10-2018 06:33 PM
    The question of a Chromebook being able to fully replace a conventional laptop really boils down to if you need something that's only available as an installed program, and doesn't have an online or Android app counterpart. If you subscribe to Office 365, then you should be fine with the online version or the Android app version (although I'm not sure if the installed Office suite might have more bells and whistles than the online version).
    I'm actually good with Google Docs.
    07-10-2018 06:35 PM
    I'm actually good with Google Docs.
    Yep, so am I. But it can be a minor hassle when someone sends me a Word document, because formatting and other bells and whistles don't always translate correctly when Google Docs opens it.
    07-10-2018 06:46 PM
    Yep, so am I. But it can be a minor hassle when someone sends me a Word document, because formatting and other bells and whistles don't always translate correctly when Google Docs opens it.
    Haven't had that happen yet. Most of the time documents like that in my case are mostly work and I can use my work laptop or my personal laptop on those rare occasions. Without counting the Pixelbook I have three laptops at home including a MacBook pro. For work I have a Lenovo laptop or a Surface Pro if I need it. At home though, like I stated somewhere else I almost exclusively use the Pixelbook. The only drawback is that when I fire up any of my Windows machines I may have to wait a bit for updates to finish.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-10-2018 09:46 PM
    As an Surface Pro (2017) user I recommend the Surface Pro. It is the most flexible of the two. I use mine for work, school, travelling, and even photo editing using Photoshop and Lightroom.

I can work on homework while my daughter is in gymnastics. I've even taken camping with me, so I could do image editing of any photos I took while camping.

My daughter will use it while we're stuck in traffic to do her homework.

The only real downside is that type cover (keyboard) and Surface Pen are extra. I have the i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD version. However, the i5 4GB RAM 128GB SSD version will probably fit your needs. I had the i5 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Surface Pro 3 for almost 4 years before getting the 2017 version.
    As a user of both, a real downside is how long Windows 10 takes to update and at times when you need it most it does so without asking.
    07-10-2018 09:48 PM
    As a user of both, a real downside is how long Windows 10 takes to update and at times when you need it most it does so without asking.
    I haven't run into that. I just updated mine today and it took less than 5 minutes.

My HP Desktop, that's a different story.
    07-10-2018 09:51 PM
    I haven't run into that. I just updated mine today and it took less than 5 minutes.

My HP Desktop, that's a different story.
    My work laptops don't either but that's because it's an Enterprise installation and all updates are controlled by our I.T. Dept.
    07-10-2018 09:57 PM
    My work laptops don't either but that's because it's an Enterprise installation and all updates are controlled by our I.T. Dept.
    My HP Envy desktop just sucks monkey turds. I'll never buy another HP desktop again. I'll jump back over to Dell when it finally dies.
    07-10-2018 11:34 PM
    The SP4 definitely updates faster than most other Windows devices, but when a Creators Update hits, it still takes a bit of time.
    07-11-2018 01:15 AM
    The SP4 definitely updates faster than most other Windows devices, but when a Creators Update hits, it still takes a bit of time.
    Yeah, but Creators Updates are only twice a year. If you are a Win10 Pro user (which is what comes on the Surface Pro), you can defer them to when it is more convenient for you.

A couple of other things that puts the Surface Pro (2017) ahead.

a) It has a microSD card slot. It can read microSD cards up to 2TB (but the largest legit microSD card that is currently available is 512GB)

b) You can use biometric logins either facial recognition. Or you can get the Type Cover with the finger print reader built in.

The Pixelbook does have USB Type C and it is a nice machine. However, the SP (2017) is still the better deal.
    07-11-2018 01:52 PM
    Yeah, but Creators Updates are only twice a year. If you are a Win10 Pro user (which is what comes on the Surface Pro), you can defer them to when it is more convenient for you.

A couple of other things that puts the Surface Pro (2017) ahead.

a) It has a microSD card slot. It can read microSD cards up to 2TB (but the largest legit microSD card that is currently available is 512GB)

b) You can use biometric logins either facial recognition. Or you can get the Type Cover with the finger print reader built in.

The Pixelbook does have USB Type C and it is a nice machine. However, the SP (2017) is still the better deal.
    Well I would go as far as saying it might be the better deal for you and other users that have similar needs. For what I need in terms of personal usage the Pixel is just faster in every way that I use it. When I need the extra abilities I use what my employer gives me. If you need to be able to everything and can only have one machine then the Surface is more of a no brainer.
    07-11-2018 02:12 PM
    I have both a Surface Book 2 and a Pixelbook. Both have their functions in my life.

My Surface Book 2 is my "do everything and anything" device. It is fast, well built, can play any game at Ultra settings, Adobe Suite, Office, etc.

The Pixelbook is a joy to use and has replaced my tablet. It is surprisingly functional and being able to Android Apps is a plus. However, it still feels lacking. It may be a while before we get to run full versions Adobe, video editing or high end gaming. Plus, the App Launcher is a mess, such a mess that I just feel disorganized and messy when using it. I've just gotten in the habit of just pressing the "start button" and typing what I need or going to the website. And I still wonder if I truly need it? It is often a tool but not my go to machine. So the debate is up of I need both this and the Surface Book. My Pixel 2 XL is good enough as a "tablet" too. I'm still within my return period for the Pixelbook and it is tempting to take it back.

While the Microsoft Store still needs a lot more quality "tablet apps" for when you want to use it as a tablet, you can easily use Chrome and use the "Create Shortcut" and "Open as Window" and then PIN to start menu. It works great and is often touch friendly.

It is becoming a harder decision these days with the Chrombook's strides but I'd still go with the Surface Pro.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-13-2018 10:10 AM
    (although I'm not sure if the installed Office suite might have more bells and whistles than the online version).
    Just fwiw . . I work regularly with Word docs that have three or four columns, and I can't use office online because it doesn't support columns in a document. Just one example of a feature that might be a deal breaker for the op that he/she would need to check into . . .
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-13-2018 10:57 AM
    This is becoming my biggest pet peeve as well pushing me toward the Chromebook/ Pixelbook setup . . .
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-13-2018 11:02 AM
32 12