HTC One (M8): GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking about upgrading from my moto x to the M8(Yes, i go through phones quickly) and although I can tell sense isn't the worst android skin, i much rather have stock, the question is , will the GPE version still work with the dot view case? will the IR blaster still work? Am i losing a lot of features? What do you guys know/think ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: GPE vs Unlocked from HTC

I would personally get the GPe. After having two phones with minimal waiting for updates, I don't think I could go back to a skinned version of Android and be 2 or even 3 versions behind.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I would personally get the GPe. After having two phones with minimal waiting for updates, I don't think I could go back to a skinned version of Android and be 2 or even 3 versions behind.

Could you get the Dev Ed and flash GPe ROM on it? (Or vice versa)? If possible, you'd have Sense or Stock Android at your disposal and save $50 if you bought the Dev Ed.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Could you get the Dev Ed and flash GPe ROM on it? (Or vice versa)? If possible, you'd have Sense or Stock Android at your disposal and save $50 if you bought the Dev Ed.

Possible to my knowledge. But, I have also seen many times where flashing the GPe has been a nightmare on other devices.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Possible to my knowledge. But, I have also seen many times where flashing the GPe has been a nightmare on other devices.

Forgot about that. Yes, it's worth the extra $50 to spare the headache of a problematic flash.

Anybody know if the GPe will have any carrier radio band limitations compared to the carrier, unlocked, or dev ed versions. Like how the M7 GPe wasn't fully functional on T-Mobile's LTE?

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Well...GPE is what im leaning towards...although i want the gunmetal and they only offer silver...but im seriously concerned about the IR blaster functionality haha. will it work if its gpe? :p

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Well...GPE is what im leaning towards...although i want the gunmetal and they only offer silver...but im seriously concerned about the IR blaster functionality haha. will it work if its gpe? :p

VERY doubtful. It doesn't work on the GPE G-Pad as there is no native app for it. Not sure if there is an app you can download that would use that functionality, however.

patrikr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

VERY doubtful. It doesn't work on the GPE G-Pad as there is no native app for it. Not sure if there is an app you can download that would use that functionality, however.

HTC has released Sense TV as a separate app and it specifically states "HTC Sense TV is updated to support HTC One (M8) Google Play Edition". The move from HTC to release their key features as separate apps is awesome!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.htc.videohub.ui&token=HqJ3jTuD

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

njs11usc

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm/deny that the Google Play M8 supports T-Mobile's HSPA+ bands? I know the unlocked version doesn't, so it looks like the GPE is my only option(don't wanna buy through T-Mobile). T-Mobile has average service in my area and I really need HSPA so I don't have to deal with edge whenever I don't have LTE. I saw the thread regarding this, just looking for additional confirmation.

Posted via Android Central App

ELEVO

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guy's Great info in here, But i am not getting it, I picked up the M8 From HTC Web Site"Unlocked Version" and i dont see a GP Edtion :eek:/ Only see an Unlocked Version and Developer Version, Unless its the Contract Carries Carrying the GP Edition?

Also why i am here, is there a way to back up my stock rom without unlocking boot loader or Rooting it? Thanks in Advance.