If Project Fi doesn't work out, moving back to Sprint?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a concern about moving to Project Fi with my Nexus 6, purchased directly from Google. I've been using it on Sprint since it's the only carrier where I live. If I move my phone to Fi and later decide it's not working for me, Sprint will not allow me to move the phone back. Or atleast this is my experience.

I have an old HTC Evo purchased and used on Sprint. My hubby then used it on Ting for awhile. I then gave it to a neighbor to reactivate it on Sprint. She has been on the phone with Sprint twice, I've been on the phone once, we have gone to a Sprint store. Today she is driving to a repair Sprint store. It seems that once a phone is no longer a Sprint phone, Sprint will never, ever, reactivate it.

So, will I have problems with my Nexus 6 if I switch to Project Fi and it doesn't work out?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been on Sprint too long and momentarily forgot about the convenience of SIMs. I can just remove my Sprint SIM (keeping my account for a few weeks/month) and pop in Fi's SIM. If Fi doesn't work out, put back in the Sprint SIM, right?

Doesn't answer my friend's problem, but...

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in your situation, with Sprint as my carrier and will be porting my line (1 of 5) over to Project Fi. I ordered the Nexus from the Play Store.

I did read somewhere about Project Fi that if you use a specific carrier's Nexus 6, Project Fi applies some firmware tweaks...these tweaks may not allow the device to work on certain carriers. I believe that comment was indirectly related to CDMA carriers.

What did Sprint tell you specifically? Perhaps it was a scare tactic so you don't leave Sprint?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I never called Sprint about Project Fi, I couldn't imagine getting someone who knew much about it. I'm thinking it will be okay to go back to Sprint if Project Fi doesn't work out.

I got the old HTC EVO working on Sprint for my neighbor. (Sprint purchased EVO, moved to Ting) It might have helped that my husband's account is still active on Ting. He is now using my old Note 2, and he never deactivated the EVO with Ting. There was a form on Ting's website to request deactivation and a few days later when we tried to activate the phone back to Sprint, it worked!

That EVO has now been the gateway smartphone for 2 people. My never-going-to-need-the-internet neighbor is loving that phone and I can see she'll probably have the Note 2 soon as my husband upgrades.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You must like your neighbor. :)

Yeah, you are right, if you called Sprint CS a hundred times, there probably will be just a handful of people that heard of Project Fi.

You just mentioned your concern about porting to Project Fi and going back to Sprint..thought maybe Sprint told you, your Nexus would not be accepted on the Sprint network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I already got my invite and my SIM kit should arrive today, according to FEDEX. I ordered my 64GB from Play Store yesterday for $550. I was planning to buy NEXUS from eBay or Craigslist, because Play Store had 64GB at $699.

When they lowered the price, I jumped at the offer and ordered.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping to get the welcome kit too, I would image after I activate the service and start using it.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed Amazon matched Google's price cut. I am going to order from Amazon because I have Prime shipping and will do next day for another 4. Then cancel my order from Play Store. With Amazon, I pay no sales tax.. Play Store charged me $42 in sales tax.

droidpacman

Banned
May 26, 2015
Visit site
Amazon doesn't charge sales tax, that is up to the state u live in. If you have to pay sales tax in your state, then they will charge u the tax, they don't have an option

Posted via the "None-Ya" app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazon doesn't charge sales tax, that is up to the state u live in. If you have to pay sales tax in your state, then they will charge u the tax, they don't have an option

Posted via the "None-Ya" app

Also depends where it is shipped from. Some orders shipped out of Florida I do not get taxed -- Whereas other orders shipped from the Florida warehouse charge me tax.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to send my Nexus back from Amazon and keep the one from Google. It was too late to cancel. I called Google and they said if something goes wrong with phone, I would work directly with Google, not Motorola for exchanges, repairs, or replacement. That extra $42 in sales tax I paid with Google, might be worth it.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to send my Nexus back from Amazon and keep the one from Google. It was too late to cancel. I called Google and they said if something goes wrong with phone, I would work directly with Google, not Motorola for exchanges, repairs, or replacement. That extra $42 in sales tax I paid with Google, might be worth it.
Agreed. I purchased directly from Google and my replacement was easy.