New Devices

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
May be on here some where but can someone explain to me the difference between the "Google" Nexus and the regular Nexus? Have a Thunderbolt looking at new devices and the price point at the Google one looks great if I want to keep my unlimited Verizon data and buy one out right. Please inform. Thank you

Leaning hard toward the S3 other than the screen breaks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're on Verizon you have one choice, and that's Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The Google Galaxy Nexus is GSM, for carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If your not on contract ditch Verizon, purchase the GSM Nexus and get a T-Mobile PPD plan. That's exactly what I did, no more contracts with Verizon or anyone else!

Also not sure if you've read the horror stories with the Verizon Nexus but I'd avoid that phone at all costs. Go with the Google Nexus (GSM) and stick it to the man!! LOL

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The Google GNex is sold directly from Google and is an unlocked, penta-band, GSM phone. That means it should work on any GSM/HSPA+ carrier in the world. In the US that mean it works on AT&T, T-Mo, and most prepaid carriers, but it definitely can't work on Verizon or Sprint (because they are CDMA, not GSM). This also means that the Google GNex can't get LTE 4G, only HSPA+ "4G".

The big advantage of the Google GNex is that software updates come straight from Google with no carrier involvement. So the Google GNex will always get updates first. Another advantage of having an unlocked GSM version is that you can switch between any GSM carrier by just plugging in a new SIM card. In exchange for these benefits, you're paying the full (unsubsidized) price of $350.

If you're on Verizon and want to stay with them, then you're stuck with the Verizon GNex, which is Verizon's CDMA variant. It will work just as well, but you're locked in with Verizon and will have to wait for Verizon to approve updates.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
And you'll have real LTE, and great coverage. I love my Verizon GNex.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

true.

there are pros and cons to each.

verizon GNEX
pros= "real" LTE, in-network mobile to mobile, nights/weekend minutes
cons= $350 ETF, probable double my T-MO bill, vzw blocked GNEX updates (hello, 4.04 ICS)

deciding factors:
1) how good is vzw coverage where you are most of the time (who cares about national coverage if you're in the city 99% of the year)
2) can you afford a $350 device up front, or would you rather pay .01c to BestBuy but keep having a higher phone bill than T-MO ($30/mo)
3) do you want a contract or do you want to be able to buy only minutes that you'd need from month to month?
4) do you want JellyBean? (jk--well..kind of)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
true.

there are pros and cons to each.

verizon GNEX
pros= "real" LTE, in-network mobile to mobile, nights/weekend minutes
cons= $350 ETF, probable double my T-MO bill, vzw blocked GNEX updates (hello, 4.04 ICS)

deciding factors:
1) how good is vzw coverage where you are most of the time (who cares about national coverage if you're in the city 99% of the year)
2) can you afford a $350 device up front, or would you rather pay .01c to BestBuy but keep having a higher phone bill than T-MO ($30/mo)
3) do you want a contract or do you want to be able to buy only minutes that you'd need from month to month?
4) do you want JellyBean? (jk--well..kind of)

Where there's a will there's a way :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19