Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Won't Fully Activate - Can Receive Data but No Phone Calls

glamazon

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a used Galaxy Nexus. I previously had a Thunderbolt and I knew that the SIM card would not be compatible. I went down to the Verizon store on Monday and got a new SIM card. Everything seemed great. Phone connected and I had data without any issue. When I got home I went to make a phone call and I received message telling me basically I would be directed to an outside network to make a phone call. I called Verizon CS and they told me sometimes it takes a while for a card to fully activate. I tried again yesterday to make a call and had the same thing happen. I called Verizon TS again. We did a factory reset, etc. That made no difference. I'm grateful I have data, but I also need to make phone calls. I'm going to go to the Verizon store today at lunch to get yet another SIM card, which is what Verizon recommended I do. While I'm in the store I'll do a factory reset and see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else I can do other than going back to the store for another SIM card. I mean I just got a new one on Monday. I appreciate any help or feedback.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
This will sound like a dumb question, but did you get a CDMA Nexus or a GSM? The Verizon Nexus does use a SIM card, but that is for the LTE/data connection. A GSM phone will not work on the Verizon (or Sprint) network. BTW, this forum is for the Google Galaxy Nexus which is a GSM phone.

glamazon

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Turns out I bought a rooted phone, which the Seller forgot to tell me. I was able to return the phone to stock and now phone and data all work well. And, I'm loving this phone!!

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I second Patrun's question.

If you are using Verizon, the phone calls should run over the regular CDMA radio which shouldn't have anything to do with the LTE SIM card. If you are using a GSM Galaxy nexus, then it won't work on Verizon's network (and doesn't have LTE at all).

If this is a Verizon phone on Verizon's Network, try this forum:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/

You'll probably get better answers.

Good luck!
nb

DZTT

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Had the same issue happen last week when trying to activate my rooted nexus. Phone would not activate while rooted. Had to reload stock verizon then it activated right away and was able to make calls. Turned around and re-rooted and everything was all good.