Why Can't I Encrypt My Rooted Huawei Honor 5X?

CinosModnar

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new smartphone today: a Huawei Honor 5X (KIW-L24) with Android 5.1.

I was able to root it by unlocking the bootloader, flashing TWRP, and using that to flash SuperSU onto the phone. After that, I figured I would do my routine installation and configuration of the device including installing apps.

I tapped the Encrypt Phone button, verified my PIN, and the phone restarted. After that, I was faced with the 'honor' logo which never seems to go away. I've let it sit for about half an hour before giving up and holding down the power button to shut it off. Upon booting again, it simply started Android as if nothing had happened.

Is it actually encrypting and just taking a very long time or did I possibly break something by rooting it? I have it sitting on my desk in this state and I am just waiting. No one I have talked to about this (including the Android support IRC channels on freenode) seems to know what the issue could be or cared to tell me.

I've been able to encrypt a rooted phone in the past with the same version of Android (5.1), so I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Edit: I've tried encrypting after disabling root in SuperSU. First time around, it locked up before rebooting. Second time, it was the same as before. Endless honor screen.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varun2310