Need help with fingerprint wakeup

urky

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi. found this forum during a search and found out this might be the place to ask. : )
recently bought a honor 8 and really happy with it. But having one issue.
Im using fingerprint to open phone and using that to lock a couple of apps. When i set this it works.
If i press the side button - screen goes blank. and i can wake it up again buy using fingerprint. I have set screen timeoff to 1 min and that also works. i can open with fingerprint after this.

But if it stays unused for some hours(or overnight) i cant use fingerprint to wake it up. ill have to press side button.
And then i can enter phone without code or fingerprint. (only the closed apps asks for fingerprint)
my question is - what havent i set in setup to make this work ?
When i reenter the fingerprint setup( fingerprint admin) it works again - until it stays unused for some hours again.

sorry if this is a nooby question : ) i just cant found out what i havent set.
Thanks in advance.

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi. found this forum during a search and found out this might be the place to ask. : )
recently bought a honor 8 and really happy with it. But having one issue.
Im using fingerprint to open phone and using that to lock a couple of apps. When i set this it works.
If i press the side button - screen goes blank. and i can wake it up again buy using fingerprint. I have set screen timeoff to 1 min and that also works. i can open with fingerprint after this.

But if it stays unused for some hours(or overnight) i cant use fingerprint to wake it up. ill have to press side button.
And then i can enter phone without code or fingerprint. (only the closed apps asks for fingerprint)
my question is - what havent i set in setup to make this work ?
When i reenter the fingerprint setup( fingerprint admin) it works again - until it stays unused for some hours again.

sorry if this is a nooby question : ) i just cant found out what i havent set.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen a setting like that so I think it may be a bug. The device will require your pin after a reset, maybe your phone is rebooting while sitting idle? Maybe it could be an app hanging things up.

urky

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
hi Thanks for answering. :)
If the phone reset it will indeed ask for a pin. Im pretty sure it doesnt reboot though. the only app i might think of that might screw things up is Cerberus. (anti theft app) Iv uninstalled that and ill see what happends. Other than that im all ears for suggestions.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Seems like odd behavior.

Honestly, depending how much personal data you have that you'd lose, I would wipe and start fresh.

Set it up again with the fingerprint and then see what happens. My fingerprint unlocks it like all the time. Even in the morning after it sat all night.

urky

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
after a good nights sleep it seems to work as it should , so im putting my money on the cerberus app doing something weird.
there might be some settings\permissions in the phone i havent set.idk(or it just might be buggy for this phone) I'll try without it for a day or 2 to see if its ok.
Thanks for all suggestions :)

on another note - if i dont get the cerberus app to work as intended , do any of you have a theft app or findmyphone function to suggest?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
after a good nights sleep it seems to work as it should , so im putting my money on the cerberus app doing something weird.
there might be some settings\permissions in the phone i havent set.idk(or it just might be buggy for this phone) I'll try without it for a day or 2 to see if its ok.
Thanks for all suggestions :)

on another note - if i dont get the cerberus app to work as intended , do any of you have a theft app or findmyphone function to suggest?

Android Device Manager should be enabled unless you disabled it on setup. You can lock, ring or remotely erase your phone. And of course on the website, you can locate it too.

Now if you need more than that, I don't know.

Glad that everything is working okay though.

urky

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
thanks guys. will have a second look but for my taste the device manager offers too few options.
but better to have something that works than something that doesnt lock my phone i guess. haha

sorry for the nooby questions , im actually coming from a Samsung s2 (i know - the damn thing never dies, and still works : p it has now become my workphone ) , and i see that there is a lot more to the android os now since i come from 4.1 - indeed... "the world is turning" : p
Its nice to find a community with nice people this fast. Hopefully i'll learn some new tricks with the Honor here : )

urky

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
indeed : p cant understand why i have waited this long : p its not cause of the money . i have usually just "worned out" the prior ones. But this has been a tough nut. it simply wont die : p

If you use adm,I would strongly recommend that you enable 2fa for your Google account.
done. thanks for tip

HonorUSA_Noah

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
We recommend you try a "factory reset" first to see if that will fix the "bug" that may cause this issue with your fingerprint scanner. Be sure you back up your device first before performing the reset. To master reset, hold down the power button and volume button until the device reboots. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our knowledgeable customer service center at +1-844-524-6667 and they can further assist you. (NS)