I don't really care for EMUI 5.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I loved 4.1 it was so unique and different in a world of copied UI's and recycled ideas. I never felt like I was just using Android phone I always felt like I was using the honor 8.

Now they have stripped some very nice visuals cues and animations and I am once again using a basic android phone. I see no difference between this phone and my HTC both have nougat. At least on my 10 I have the android Easter egg.

I hate that there is only 2 listed power modes. Is the phone always running in performance mode. I highly doubt that cause it would chew through the battery.

Kind of bummed they didn't add any other short cuts to the fingerprint scanner.

Also the power management sucks I get constant notifications apps are consuming power. Right after I close all the apps I can go back to power management and they will all be running again. Don't remember that being an issue on 4.1

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I loved 4.1 it was so unique and different in a world of copied UI's and recycled ideas. I never felt like I was just using Android phone I always felt like I was using the honor 8.

Now they have stripped some very nice visuals cues and animations and I am once again using a basic android phone. I see no difference between this phone and my HTC both have nougat. At least on my 10 I have the android Easter egg.

I hate that there is only 2 listed power modes. Is the phone always running in performance mode. I highly doubt that cause it would chew through the battery.

Also the power management sucks I get constant notifications apps are consuming power. Right after I close all the apps I can go back to power management and they will all be running again. Don't remember that being an issue on 4.1

When I was upgraded to the beta from 4.1 I had to go back into my power settings and set those up again (not sure why) Make sure all your toggles are in the right place for the apps you want/don't want running when the screen turns off.

I'm pretty sure the default battery mode smart mode.

There are quite a few themes right now for emui 5 on XDA, maybe check those out ? Might change it up enough for you to like?

If emui 5 doesn't warm up to you at least you have the option to go back to emui 4.1!

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I really didn't want to hear what the OP just said which was to take away from Honor 8s innovated software and become more stock Android. That just really bums me out bc 4.1 to me honestly was I'm a league of it own. It was almost like we finally had a third player in the mix. IOS, Android and then EMUI being the third player to hit the scene. They need to read these forums bc 4.1 was good enough that I believe other companies would have tried to gear their software interface to match EMUI 4.1. I still have 4.1 and now I'm convinced I won't get 5.0 until 2018 lol but 4.1s interface is awesome. Refreshing bc it's not the in your face IOS not is it the block letters pure Android. They were very creative and it brought about innovation which blended both software interfaces into one to create an entire new player to the mobile software world. OP is it real bad or subtle? You stated that it's a lot like pure Android. Does it still have its own personality or have they caved to the Android purists and lost their minds and left their innovation behind with 5.0? Like I said I have yet to get 5.0 so if you could share more examples that would be great as I would actually consider not upgrading for at least a while until I had to if it's truly not Honors own software now. I have grown to like EMUI 4.1 better than IOS and Pure Android 10 times over. It's why I still have my Honor 8 bc my typical style is to buy a new one and test it out and then sell it and buy a different one and do it again so I never kept a phone long at all but I kept my honor 8 bc it's the best interface on the market as far as a perfect mixture of the two to be a hybrid. I love it. Man I didn't want to hear that about 5.0 and that gets me back to Honor and them sticking to their core roots. Why change something that is so refreshing and perfectly refined yet totally different enough to actually be considered a third contender in a world of only two software to choose from. Ouch!! I guess I'll find out soon enough when my update hits but 4.1 to me personally I would choose in a heartbeat over stock Android or IOS. There is really no learning curve either to it. It's just that honor created an entire new mobile software interface and I guess people dislike change that they hated on it so now honor caved in to that. Once I used 4.1 for two straight weeks I was totally sold on it. Best software experience going right now. If you will please share as much as you can about your statement that it's more like pure Android now. I'm rather curious of how far they took it from having such a cool totally in a league of its own software which I guess now isn't EMUI but rather EMUI 4.1 being that league. 5.0 must not be what I know now to be typical EMUI from how your post sounded.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you're worrying a bit too much. The OFFICIAL post from honor about the 8's rollout was from Feb 11-18(twitter). Just wait until it arrives, try the new UI for a spin and if you dislike it there is always the option to revert back to emui 4.1 via honor usa's website.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
When I was upgraded to the beta from 4.1 I had to go back into my power settings and set those up again (not sure why) Make sure all your toggles are in the right place for the apps you want/don't want running when the screen turns off.

I'm pretty sure the default battery mode smart mode.

There are quite a few themes right now for emui 5 on XDA, maybe check those out ? Might change it up enough for you to like?

If emui 5 doesn't warm up to you at least you have the option to go back to emui 4.1!

I have a theme on it. That's not the issue. There were all these little nuances with how the animations where in 4.1 that were really refreshing. Now they are identical to every other android ever made.

My most favorite thing about 4.1 was the icons in the status bar where miniature versions of the actual app icon. Thought that was a sweet little touch. Now they are like every other android phone. You only have power saver and ultra power saver like every other android phone. The whole point of EMUI was that it was so drastically different from every other android phone out there. Now it's just like every other android phone out there.

Frankly I won't buy another product from honor or Huawei. They worked their way to the 3rd largest phone manufacture by being different and refreshing to turn around and make what everybody else already is.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
My most favorite thing about 4.1 was the icons in the status bar where miniature versions of the actual app icon.

Uh-oh I like that feature also...maybe I can hold off on 7.0
I'll probably cave however, if the phone is just becoming cookie cutter I may sell and move on.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a theme on it. That's not the issue. There were all these little nuances with how the animations where in 4.1 that were really refreshing. Now they are identical to every other android ever made.

My most favorite thing about 4.1 was the icons in the status bar where miniature versions of the actual app icon. Thought that was a sweet little touch. Now they are like every other android phone. You only have power saver and ultra power saver like every other android phone. The whole point of EMUI was that it was so drastically different from every other android phone out there. Now it's just like every other android phone out there.

Frankly I won't buy another product from honor or Huawei. They worked their way to the 3rd largest phone manufacture by being different and refreshing to turn around and make what everybody else already is.
If indeed 5.0 is this then I agree with you 100 percent my friend. I totally understand perfectly your thought process. The Software was made different for a reason. It was creativity, imagination that lead to innovation which gave us a third major software to choose from. I support and endorse your post. Well said.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like by the time the carriers pick up an actual Honor device it will by then be pretty close to regular Android. What people are missing here is that EMUI basically wasn't Android at all. In fact their intent was just that or else it would have been like Android. What's wrong with Android, IOS and EMUI? I've never been sold on pure Android to be honest. The post I said I endorsed was very well written. EMUI introduce a new breed of mobile software experience. I really don't get why there was so much resistance towards that. Different doesn't mean bad or inferior rather it means exactly what it says, different. I believe Honor had this direct intent in mind too when they created it. The masses resisted the newly different introduced software enough to make Honor become a true Android now it sounds. Even though they were placed in the Android category was because at the time that was the only choice they had. Honor just made a mistake in a huge way because eventually they would have been placed in the EMUI category which I'm thinking what is wrong with having three totally different software to choose from. Wow this is bad news indeed. The Honor 8 was never an Android at all and was built with the intent not to be either. I guess they were forced to become another Android product but I was totally unaware of the rule that there could only be two software choices and that's it. It'll be back to the drawing board for me as I'll start testing other devices if this is indeed what has happened. That's all we get I guess either Android or IOS. Having a third choice I see nothing wrong with but I guess honor felt like I'd they wanted to continue to grow and sells to keep trending upwards than the masses forced their hand on this total change of direction.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
5 is just a more streamlined EMUI.
Turning off notifications for the power consuming apps is a must. Then if you delve into the battery saver settings, you can have the phone automatically close power intensive apps, and even have apps be closed on screen lock. It takes some getting used to, just like 4.1 did, but it is so much more efficient.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
5 is just a more streamlined EMUI.
Turning off notifications for the power consuming apps is a must. Then if you delve into the battery saver settings, you can have the phone automatically close power intensive apps, and even have apps be closed on screen lock. It takes some getting used to, just like 4.1 did, but it is so much more efficient.

I feel like 5.0 is a whole new learning curve again, and it's kind of overwhelming.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure how many here in 4.1 have actually looked into notifications, power management for apps, lock screen interactions - because those were all badly implemented in such a way that no user could benefit from them. Honor knew it only after Honor being widely adopted in the US as basically many people started using their product. EMUI 5 is beautiful, fluid and rich.

An Android is an Android, if an OEM is changing basic functions then they are not helping users as you need to pull in existing and new users to Android. Even Samsung is toning down on customizations and now coming in parity with basic Android functions.

Just my two cents.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure how many here in 4.1 have actually looked into notifications, power management for apps, lock screen interactions - because those were all badly implemented in such a way that no user could benefit from them. Honor knew it only after Honor being widely adopted in the US as basically many people started using their product. EMUI 5 is beautiful, fluid and rich.

An Android is an Android, if an OEM is changing basic functions then they are not helping users as you need to pull in existing and new users to Android. Even Samsung is toning down on customizations and now coming in parity with basic Android functions.

Just my two cents.

I'm in complete agreement

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The major changes were to the notifications and settings menu, other than that, it's not hugely different.

Yeah that's what I meant really. Re-finding where what settings are, is an adjustment. I'll have to relearn that. Some are straight forward, like before but other things have been moved around.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

Did the notification icons change as mentioned? What do you have in place of icons? I had this same feature on my Moto X.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Huawei Mate 5/7.0 for 5 weeks. Never experienced EMUI 4.1

Every Android phone is different, and usually put a different launch manager on top of that.

There are things about iOS notifications I live, some annoy me and wish they would widen up

EMUI 5 I'd interesting, unique and first time in 5-6 years I think done better if not best. Yes it could be improved of course.

In all years I still find upgrade in place vs clean install - make a different.

I had one bug with my Mate 9 that I was surprised no one else was seeing, finally someone else did but is rare. A simple reset without restoring was work but any bug (s) are gone.

Status notifications do use the icon of the app so it is obvious by looking I have Amazon, Twitter and Instagram notifications.

Also best keyboard at guessing spellings, sorry Siri and Google and Blackberry and others.

I hope the problems get sorted out.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I, too have noticed that I get more "power management notifications" now than I did before. I'll have to fix them in Settings!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Mind you I don't have 7.0 yet.

I was wondering if losing the tiny icons in the notification bar was due to the "bundle feature" included with Nougat?
On the Axon 7 it's possible to disable bundled so I was wondering if that option is adjustable under EMUI if the icons would return.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I, too have noticed that I get more "power management notifications" now than I did before. I'll have to fix them in Settings!

Same here but I have yet to find a way to stop the power management notification. This is one area that was better on 4.1 than 5.0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87