Dead Power Button: how to restart Honor 8 without it?

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
The Honor 8's power button stopped working. I am still able to turn on the screen by reading the fingerprint. But I cannot see how to restart the phone without the use of the power button. In addition, I wonder what would I do in case the phone is turned off completely.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I would contact Honor and see what their suggestions are. They may suggest that you send your phone to them. How old is your device, and when did the power button stop working? Maybe it's suffering from water damage?

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for good suggestions. Scheduled Power On/Off seems like a good workaround, but in my case it does not work as expected. It does power off the device but fails to turn it back on. I found that simply connecting to the charger turns the device back on.

My $400 investment is barely 7 months old and progressively falling apart. The power button stopped working after a series of strange behavior, like "Charging other device via USB" notification, not responsive "Smart Key", random launch of applications set to be opened with the smart key. (Honestly, I have serious concerns about build and components quality of Huawei products.) Regarding water damage, I don't think this is the case. The device was never exposed to liquids. Also, I would expect it to be engineered as sweat and humidity resistant, which may not be necessarily true.

I wonder how many Honor 8 customers experienced issues related to water-, dust- or heat-damage, without actually abusing the device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for good suggestions. Scheduled Power On/Off seems like a good workaround, but in my case it does not work as expected. It does power off the device but fails to turn it back on. I found that simply connecting to the charger turns the device back on.

My $400 investment is barely 7 months old and progressively falling apart. The power button stopped working after a series of strange behavior, like "Charging other device via USB" notification, not responsive "Smart Key", random launch of applications set to be opened with the smart key. (Honestly, I have serious concerns about build and components quality of Huawei products.) Regarding water damage, I don't think this is the case. The device was never exposed to liquids. Also, I would expect it to be engineered as sweat and humidity resistant, which may not be necessarily true.

I wonder how many Honor 8 customers experienced issues related to water-, dust- or heat-damage, without actually abusing the device.

Random thought - can the Smart Key be used to power down or restart the device? But then again, you've stated that the Smart Key can be unresponsive, so scratch that idea.

To be honest,I've heard some bad experiences with Huawei customer service. But I've also seen how they can turn things around and help customers out. Either way, my device is 8 months old and since I bought it unlocked, I'm kind of worried about if anything happens to it. Keep us posted!

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
The responsiveness issue of the Smart Key went away after a day or two, only Fingerprint ID stopped working. Good thought about using Smart Key to perform restart/power off, but such an option is unavailable. I don't know if my device is sort of special (as so many issues surfaced during the first 6 months of soft use), although my friend warned me against buying Huawei. In his experience there were a couple glitches and extreme slowness passed the first year of use.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Using ADB sounds fairly labour intensive. But it might be the only option for me, I will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The responsiveness issue of the Smart Key went away after a day or two, only Fingerprint ID stopped working. Good thought about using Smart Key to perform restart/power off, but such an option is unavailable. I don't know if my device is sort of special (as so many issues surfaced during the first 6 months of soft use), although my friend warned me against buying Huawei. In his experience there were a couple glitches and extreme slowness passed the first year of use.

It's too bad that kind of option isn't available. For sure: Huawei has mixed customer service reviews. Hopefully you won't experience any more problems with your device.

vtua

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
It's too bad that kind of option isn't available. For sure: Huawei has mixed customer service reviews. Hopefully you won't experience any more problems with your device.
Perhaps only after I ditch Honor 8 and move to something more reliable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87