Question How to get phone to complete fully a restart without unlocking the device?

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
My Samsung S20FE phone restarts sporadically and I suspect it could be WhatsApp. I do not know.

However, it will restart silently but then, no more notification sounds and calls etc will work.

Until I pick it up and unlock it. Only then it says "Phone is starting"

How can I get it to complete a restart fully without unlocking?

Problem is that I am not aware it restarted and I am missing all messages and notifitions etc.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This kind of thing could be due to a number of possibilities, including buggy apps, buggy or corrupted firmware, or impending hardware failure. You should first make sure all important files or data are backed up or synced somewhere safe, in case the phone completely fails.

If this happens fairly frequently, test the phone in Safe Mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/. If it still happens in Safe Mode, then you know it's a problem with the system or the hardware. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, then something you installed if likely causing the instability -- but it can be difficult to pinpoint further, unless you uninstall apps one by one.

Reactions: J Dubbs

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure there's a way to do that, especially if you use a PIN/password for a screen lock, since Android security will require that to complete the startup. If you eliminate the screen lock (which is not advisable unless you're certain the only person who ever handles the phone is you), then the system might still require you to swipe up to complete the startup.

Let me see if @mustang7757 has any insight into this, since he's more accustomed to Samsung phones than I am.

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Thank you.
If that is the case, then that appears to be a real oversight as very important notifications are now not delivered in cases like mine, because of this.

My auto restart is off.
The issue does not seem to happen when I do not have WhatsApp open.

I have since also set the debug level to MID under *#9900#

But I am not sure what to do with that after a involuntary reboot

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If that is the case, then that is a real oversight as very important notificatins are now not delivered because of this.

My auto restart is off.

You would need to install a custom ROM or leave feedback to Samsung, this my s23u on restart , no secret code in the dialer I'm aware to disable that .1362303438.jpg

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you.
If that is the case, then that appears to be a real oversight as very important notifications are now not delivered in cases like mine, because of this.

My auto restart is off.

Just to confirm you mean 'Auto optimisation' is off in Device care?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Given that the only way to likely avoid this issue of needing to be unlocked is to disable all security on the device, which would also mean that none of your wallet apps and most if not all of your banking apps will no longer work, it may be more beneficial to solve the restarting issue.

You say that it seems to only happen when WhatsApp is open, what have you tried to solve that issue?

First let's do some maintenance on your WhatsApp app. Check and ensure it is not in your sleeping apps lists. Apps being put to sleep can cause issues, especially if it is an app that usually requires exclusion form power saving. Go to Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>Sleeping apps/Deep sleeping apps, and remove WhatsApp if it is found in either of those lists. If you find it in one or the other of those lists you may consider adding it to the Never sleeping apps list.

As for the app itself clear the app's cache and maybe even its data or uninstalling it and reinstalling the app. Clear the cache even if you uninstall the app because I've known apps to reinstall and go right back to a bad condition because items were not properly cleared out from the uninstall alone. Go to Settings>Apps>WhatsApp>Storage>Clear cache/Clear Data. By clearing the cache you should loose nothing but by clearing the data you will likely have to log back in and, I'm sorry but I'm not that familiar with WhatsApp but, you may also lose your unsaved messages, so back up message threads that are important to you. Obviously with reinstalling the app you will lose items but again these can likely be backed up before hand.

Finally just for good measure, clear your device's partition cache. There really is no reason not to. Just like with any other cache clear there should be no data lose. After whatever you deem to be your last step in the process, restart the device and let us know the results after a day or two. Is it still restarting and any of that? We can go from there.

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you very much for all the help. I will do this.
But first, I discovered last night that there were some outstanding updates. I installed those and now I will test as is for a few days to see what happens. If that fixes it, great, if not, then I will proceed with all your suggestions next.

I have also been in contact with the developers of WhatsApp and they have come back this morning recommending to delete the Google Play store cache as it may be causing this type of issue. I am not sure how but that will then be next on the list.

Best regards

Reactions: B. Diddy