Honor 8 is on Android version 7.0 released in August 2016. How do you feel about this?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So the honor 8 is still on Android 7.0 which came out in August 2016, the same month as the USA launch. It is looking unlikely that it will get any further Android version updates. Also it should be noted that Android 7.1 was released in October 2016. So USA Honor 8 only got 2 months worth of Android version updates. Yes there were other software updates from marshmallow to nougat and bug fixes and other tweaks and security patches but the core Android version is still Android 7.0.

Personally I am a little disappointed because I took Huawei's 2 year software update commitment to mean that we would get any Android versions released within two years of launch. 2 months isn't two years.

How do you feel about this?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel the exact same - disappointed and also a little cheated as an Honor enthusiast/customer. You're right - I too took the "two-year commitment" to mean "two years' worth of all available updates." There shouldn't be any reading between the lines or false promises when it comes to receiving updates and security patches.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel the exact same - disappointed and also a little cheated as an Honor enthusiast/customer. You're right - I too took the "two-year commitment" to mean "two years' worth of all available updates." There shouldn't be any reading between the lines or false promises when it comes to receiving updates and security patches.
Most definitely. And I had the 5x before the honor 8 and it had like two updates total, so I felt screwed there but I gave them another chance and got the honor 8. I really hope that they reconsider because it's a great phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Most definitely. And I had the 5x before the honor 8 and it had like two updates total, so I felt screwed there but I gave them another chance and got the honor 8. I really hope that they reconsider because it's a great phone.

I hope they reconsider too. It sucks because they put a damper on the brand. As in, you may love the phone; but you know your purchase/product may not be supported as well as other manufacturers - or even at all.

frankras

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I allso have the Galaxy S7 and the S7 is allso on Android 7.0.0, and as my for security patch they've both on December 1 2017.

I just love the phone (Honor 8 and use it as my daily driver) and if its running 7.0 or 7.1 do not matter for me, I just want security updates fastener than we receive them now.

PS:-my old nexus 5x as I use as backup is running 8.1 with January 5 security patch.

So yes the non "Google" companies are kind of slow on that point.

Frank

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad this subject is up front again.
It's not that other companies don't update or update slowly. The rub is that honor stated on their web page and in the hi honor customer forums that "honor is committed" to semi annual consumer device updates.
If you're not going to do it or if your update policy is vague then certainly don't dishonestly make promises. Low costs and promised updates we're what drew me to huawei/honor products.
I don't appreciate being turned out with false promises.
Sure is a rotten way to do business.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not that other companies don't update or update slowly. The rub is that honor stated on their web page and in the hi honor customer forums that "honor is committed" to semi annual consumer device updates.
If you're not going to do it or if your update policy is vague then certainly don't dishonestly make promises. Low costs and promised updates we're what drew me to huawei/honor products.

Absolutely. It's one thing to not update - but it's quite another ballgame when there is an update promise and then a retraction of said promise.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Huawei promised quarterly updates. This is their exact wording, as of this post :

Software Update Policy

Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers.

From this year 2016, we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for at least 24 months following each product launch.We will keep providing access to security and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner.Beyond this period we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security.Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device.

Devices covered by this policy include honor 5X and honor 8.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2Fus%2Fsoftware-update-policy&token=DHpv06bO

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I allso have the Galaxy S7 and the S7 is allso on Android 7.0.0, and as my for security patch they've both on December 1 2017.

I just love the phone (Honor 8 and use it as my daily driver) and if its running 7.0 or 7.1 do not matter for me, I just want security updates fastener than we receive them now.

PS:-my old nexus 5x as I use as backup is running 8.1 with January 5 security patch.

So yes the non "Google" companies are kind of slow on that point.

Frank
I would be shocked if the s7 didn't get oreo. Of course Samsung is much slower than Google and it's no surprise that it hasn't come yet

Also Google kept their promise to the letter on my Google nexus 6. It is on October 2017 patch, exactly 3 years after release. A little bummed it didn't get oreo but not complaining as Google kept their word.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Huawei promised quarterly updates. This is their exact wording, as of this post :

Software Update Policy

Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers.

From this year 2016, we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for at least 24 months following each product launch.We will keep providing access to security and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner.Beyond this period we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security.Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device.

Devices covered by this policy include honor 5X and honor 8.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%2Fus%2Fsoftware-update-policy&token=KEBoyr1c

I've always wondered what the exact quote or post was from Honor about updates; so thank you for sharing that. Man, there is no way to misinterpret that wording!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Just a guess here:
I think EMUI is problematic or perhaps costly to update.
Perhaps the overlay needs reengineering with each jump in version for Android.
So older phones are left behind.
Also might be the old game of "why support phones already owned when we can sell new ones"
From what I'm seeing popular tech reviewers still seem wary of EMUI...or am I wrong?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just a guess here:
I think EMUI is problematic or perhaps costly to update.
Perhaps the overlay needs reengineering with each jump in version for Android.
So older phones are left behind.
Also might be the old game of "why support phones already owned when we can sell new ones"
From what I'm seeing popular tech reviewers still seem wary of EMUI...or am I wrong?

This is a good theory. We really don't know what kind of resources/money/time/effort is needed to create/update EMUI. And maybe they just want to put Oreo on their newer devices because they want to sell those and to sell more of them. It's a sneaky way to get customers to buy their latest tech - "if you want the latest updates, buy the V10" or something along those lines.

However, that kind of thinking/business is still unfair; as they're going against what they'd originally promised to their customers. As you've said, it's not good business. :(

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
This is the only thing that has bugged me about the phone. And it's a massive part of my reasoning to consider moving over to Nokia when my upgrade comes around.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is the only thing that has bugged me about the phone. And it's a massive part of my reasoning to consider moving over to Nokia when my upgrade comes around.

Completely understandable. It bothers me too. And Nokia is a great brand... Are you considering the 8?

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Completely understandable. It bothers me too. And Nokia is a great brand... Are you considering the 8?
I'm hoping they release something with smaller bezels this year. I've got 6 months until upgrading, that's a long time in phones.
Nokia 9 looks like it could be interesting, especially since the leak of the 7 plus images with small bezels.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping they release something with smaller bezels this year. I've got 6 months until upgrading, that's a long time in phones.
Nokia 9 looks like it could be interesting, especially since the leak of the 7 plus images with small bezels.

Oh, cool! I have yet to see a Nokia 9 leak but I'm excited for it! And you're right - a lot can happen in six months' time with phones!