Touchpal Update?

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey! Have any of you installed the new Touchpal update from the Play Store? The reviews are pretty awful, so I've been hesitant to do it. Any noticeable differences from stock?

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Id assume most reviews will be negative since its a forced upon you update unless you disable the keyboard, which is what I did. Prior to that I never noticed it or used it. There seems to be far better options for keyboards out there so disabling the keyboard and running something else wouldnt hurt if the reviews worry you.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't mind it, but some of the reviews made it seem like the update changed some things already?

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It could stand improvement. I disabled it after about ten minutes of use. Too Fischer-Price for my taste, and the predictions were way off the mark.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I have always preferred TouchPal (horrendous name nonwithstanding) and have installed it on all my phones. That said, I don't care for the emoji version. Rather childish and should have been an add on option.

It just feels "wrong" when I go to email a high-profile client and the keyboard is popping up emoji recommendations.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I installed it. I've always loved TouchPal. The new version seems a lot faster than the HTC version. I really like the Simple theme, the one that looks like the iOS kb.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey! Have any of you installed the new Touchpal update from the Play Store? The reviews are pretty awful, so I've been hesitant to do it. Any noticeable differences from stock?
BTW, I somehow completely forgot to comment on the original post. Yes, I installed it. No, didn't see any difference. I saw the reviews and it's the usual bunch of blowhards complaining about pre-installed apps. Anything that comes installed on a phone tends to get bashed.

Last edited:

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
And, I think TouchPal is the best. Opinions vary. I think HTC made a very good move.

Thats the good part of Android, choices. Im a swiftkey user, always have been so its the first app I install on any new phone. Its always been good for me.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Swiftkey had some lag issues. I would close my textra app and the Swiftkey keyboard would close about 2-3 seconds later. Very noticeable...

I run Handcent and Switftkey Beta at all times on all my phones. No lag on the 10 at all. On my M8 it had some moments of lag here and there.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I should have said HTC should install the keyboard with the best reviews in the Play Store. I read that Google launched a phenomenal keyboard for iPhone users. I'm kind of jealous Google!

Well, I don't put any stock in play store reviews. They are good for spotting security/spam issues but that's about it, IMO. Apps that come as bloatware or stock apps just bashed just because they are stock apps. If the most highly reviewed keyboard started getting installed on many phones, I'm sure people would start complaining about it too and giving it neg reviews.

I honestly think that HTC did a really good move in going with a time-tested keyboard app like TouchPal. Going with SwiftKey or Swipe would have been great as well. TouchPal has been one of the best for years now and ensures that HTC 10 users will have a flexible and relatively bug-free stock keyboard app (which normally costs money if I'm not mistaken).

As far as google goes, the less google in my life, the better. I don't like their apps, don't care for them as a company, and I would ditch android altogether if it wasn't for the fact that the only phones I like are Android.

richard dillon1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't put any stock in play store reviews. They are good for spotting security/spam issues but that's about it, IMO. Apps that come as bloatware or stock apps just bashed just because they are stock apps. If the most highly reviewed keyboard started getting installed on many phones, I'm sure people would start complaining about it too and giving it neg reviews.

I honestly think that HTC did a really good move in going with a time-tested keyboard app like TouchPal. Going with SwiftKey or Swipe would have been great as well. TouchPal has been one of the best for years now and ensures that HTC 10 users will have a flexible and relatively bug-free stock keyboard app (which normally costs money if I'm not mistaken).

As far as google goes, the less google in my life, the better. I don't like their apps, don't care for them as a company, and I would ditch android altogether if it wasn't for the fact that the only phones I like are Android.
I also hate google apps

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I saw there's a TouchPal Premium paid version which doesn't have ads? I'm assuming since it's now our stock keyboard that we'll never have the pop up ads? I haven't seen one yet. I was happy with the HTC Sense keyboard, but TouchPal is growing on me.

richard dillon1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I saw there's a TouchPal Premium paid version which doesn't have ads? I'm assuming since it's now our stock keyboard that we'll never have the pop up ads? I haven't seen one yet. I was happy with the HTC Sense keyboard, but TouchPal is growing on me.
I also like the emoji predictions

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Yes, that's correct. We're getting the paid/ad-free version for free as-stock. Helps us in that we get a very complex keyboard for free, helps HTC in that they don't have to further develop their own and keep updating it.
My fave thing about the TP on the 10 vs the Sense on my M8, is that TP has a tremendous vocabulary and I can swipe just about everything.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually really like this keyboard...it learned the way I text from my previous messages and twitter and now pretty much predict whatever i'm saying after I swype my first word...I turned my emoji prediction off

to answer the op... I didn't see any difference in the update