Unable to Root Aria for Some Reason

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so what am I doing wrong? I downloaded Unrevoked for Windows, the additional drivers needed, followed the instructions on Unrevoked's site for rooting and I get the following:

1. Unrevoked doesn't recognize that the phone's been connected to the PC, but when I disconnect it, I get an error message saying that communication with the phone was interrupted and I should try again.

2. Unrevoked recognizes my phone, says its pushing recovery, but nothing seems to happen, even if I leave my phone connected for hours. When I disconnect, I get an error message from Unrevoked.

3. Unrevoked recognizes my phone, says its pushing recovery and then says that it failed and for me to try again.

When I tried using the Ubuntu Live CD method, it didn't see my phone, and when I attempted to mount the phone (thinking perhaps that's why Unrevoked couldn't find it), my PC locked up and had to be rebooted.

Needless to say, I'm a wee bit irritated by all of this and would really like to root my phone so I can stick FroYo on it and get rid of AT&T's damned crapware.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you place your phone in USB debugging mode (Settings -> Applications -> Development)?

Also, did you install HTC Sync on the PC to get the necessary drivers? Once HTC Sync is installed, you need to make sure it is not running in the background or in the system tray.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you place your phone in USB debugging mode (Settings -> Applications -> Development)?

Also, did you install HTC Sync on the PC to get the necessary drivers? Once HTC Sync is installed, you need to make sure it is not running in the background or in the system tray.

I second this. You can also just install then uninstall HTC Sync. The drivers stay on your computer, and it's suggested so HTC Sync doesn't mess with your phone during the process.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yup, got the phone in debugging mode, and I've done the install/uninstall of HTC Sync with no change in the results. I'm guessing there's some setting somewhere that I've missed, but what it could be, I've no idea.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yup, got the phone in debugging mode, and I've done the install/uninstall of HTC Sync with no change in the results. I'm guessing there's some setting somewhere that I've missed, but what it could be, I've no idea.

OK, what version of Unrevoked are you running? Version 3.32 was posted a few days ago to correct an issue with 3.3/3.31. Is that the one you are using?

You might also want to try using version 3.21 found here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Absolute BEST root method for Aria: Unrevoked team's Root/Recovery reflash tool

Also if you are running this from Windows Vista or Windows 7, you should run Unrevoked as Administrator.