Eris 2.1 Changes/Findings

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I put 2.1 on my Eris test phone today and here are my findings:

Exchange Active Sync:

The Eris now properly connects to an Exchange server that enforces mandatory PIN/Passwords. (in 1.5 it would either report to the server that it supported PIN/Password even though it didn't or it would fail to sync)

Remote wipe also now works properly (in 1.5 when a remote wipe was sent, a confirmation box appeared, giving the user the chance to over ride an administrative remote wipe)

Exchange Contacts, Calendar and Mail all sync. Cannot seem to access the global address list.

Mail App:

In general, I find it is much improved. It allows you to thread/un-thread messages and several sort options.

USB Connection:

Now prompts if you want to sync, charge or mount as a USB drive.

Jump Screen:

Double tapping home or pinching on any home screen will show you a card view of all your home screens.

Active wallpaper:

Nope, not there.

Settings App:

Rearranged, much easier to find what you want.

Performance:

Seems to be about the same. I've had a few stutters going from screen to screen, but over all the phone still feels fairly fluid.

Please post your findings and thoughts.

svzuki

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So far I have had a few issues with widgets failing out. The weather Widget will not load data and some pictures will not display on the "people" widget yet some will.

The android market is alot nicer now.

Now allows vibrate and ringing for incoming calls.

Displays notice for text message sent. (annoying) - EDIT: In the drop down notification screen. Long press on the sent notification will bring up the TXT message settings screen. You can disable the sent notification there.

Overall still happy with the upgrade, it is just going to take some time to re-personalize the phone the way I like it.

Last edited:

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
although im still on leak v3.

Google NAV: just plain ROCKS!

Setting Arrangement makes better sense.

All in all 2.1 is a great OS.

utfan

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Calendar - Force close

After the 2.1 update, my Calendar is Force closing (process com.htc.calendar). Anyone else having this issue, anyone resolved this issue with 2.1?

Thanks in advance.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Updated the wifes phone no issues besides pinch to zoom in maps not working, no voice to text, and live wallpapers aren't selectable in personalization. Everything else works flawlessly and the phone, while I wouldn't say seems faster, it seems snappier.

Great update to an ageing phone!

Jetster220

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I've got some problems I've noticed. After updating to 2.1, facebook is having updating issues. Before the update all of the friends pictures who I had synced in my contacts facebook pics would show up, now after the update they do not,and I can't figure out how to fix it. Anybody else had this issue. Also I can't get it to delete the update file from the sd card, it keeps saying error.

Last edited:

ATP

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I keep reading about a manual official update...where can I get this? I'm sick of waiting for the OTA if there is an official DIY one from VZW/HTC.

Edit: Nevermind...found what I needed right in front of me. Sorry.

raze813

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No voice to text was the biggest disappointment in this update .... why would vzw put it up on their site and not have it in the update ?!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah wife was bummed about that, but overall the phone feels like it's performing nicer. So I dunno, maybe they just got the lines between website admin and techs out of sync?

phantomfairy06#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the view all homescreens feature does not work unless you use sense? This could be just me, but it does kind of bother me, seeing as I like to use the stock android since its not a battery hog.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sense is what enables that isn't it? With a Nexus 1 I think you had to hit the home button twice for it to do it. I may be wrong though. As far as the battery hog thing, you aren't running anything more than you would on a stock platform except you can have more widgets running now.

topher#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay I posted this on another Eris 2.1 update thread and got the typical smackdown for bumping an old thread. So I hope this is the right place for this. I've been lurking for sometime but now that I finally got OTA 2.1 update I joined to post this :) Been pretty sweet so far, except...

Speed Dial Problem:

I cannot seem to add a speed dial. I go into phone menu -> speed dial, add new, select contact, choose number and position, and save.

when I press the number (2 or 3 in the cases I tried) it does not dial.

I have power cycled phone since update and still no effect. Tried adding directly from contacts with no effect. I had numbers assigned to speed dials 2-9 previously, wife's phone had none. holding 1 still dials voicemail for me. I have two phones with the same issue.

Other stuff I have noticed:

- Goggles FCs on both phones every time I run it...which is a bummer...bc that's a fun show off app.

- To stop sent text notifications, I had to turn notifications on and then off (they were off initially but notices were still being sent)

- I don't like how web pages open in "overview" mode, making the pages completely unreadable due to screen res.

- Make sure you update Google Maps and power cycle before you play with Nav. It gives you a new separate app (or launcher) called Navigate with a big blue triangle. When I was setting up wife's phone the icon was nowhere, I had to update and then restart phone in order to get it to show up.

Last edited:

tak_a_tak

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issues. I can only add one speed dial. As soon as I add another contact, it just replaces this first one. Also, I cannot link any of my contacts to their facebook profile.

Trophias

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
The 3D gallery isn't there.

I talked to HTC today and they took down notes to what is not there that should be in the 2.1 update.