o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'd say yes. It's going to be inexpensive and not too high powered. It'll hold plenty of music and such. Just depends upon how young you're talking. My daughter is 8 and she can use my Eris just fine - dialing, playing games, even downloading apps. It's a good intro to smart phones. The only problem I see is that it'll leave them wanting more - and they'll be coming to you for that!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I cannot believe that a young kid needs a $30 per month for two years smartphone data plan. I suppose that it depends on why you want your child to have a phone (and, of course, how young that they are.) To be able to call you when he/she needs a ride? To be able to reach them at any time when they are away from home? There are plenty of feature phones that will allow this very easily for a lot less money.

We bought phones for our kids when they were old enough to be left somewhere - soccer practice; after-school band; going shopping or to the movies with friends; etc. - without our direct supervision or a defined scheduled drop-off and pick-up time. They weren't what I would call young, though. Perhaps I am already too old ...