Eris vs other Droids which to get?

queueman

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new to this site, because I don't have an android phone yet.
Currently I have a Palm Centro with Verizon and I'm ready for new every two.
I was originally interested in the Palm Pre, but don't have a good feeling about it.
Now that Best Buy has the Eris for free, I think I will get it, but a few questions:
1. I use the Centro as an organizer, to do list, calendar and memos. Will I lose any of these going to the Eris?
2. There are other more powerful Android phones out there, or coming soon. Is it best to wait for the Nexus One, get a Motorola Droid, or go with the Eris?
The appealing thing about Eris is the Sense UI, the ability to synch natively with Outlook, and, of course the price.
Any advice on getting the Eris? Anyone buy it and later have regrets? Any feedback is appreciated.

Well, after trying both, I got the Motorola Droid. I found it much faster, easier to use, and had a better display. Best Buy had it on sale last week for $99, so I got it. Still learning about it, have a few issues, but I think I'll keep it. Also I was happy to find that it has pinch to zoom on Google Maps. I didn't know that before.

Last edited:

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Im not going to lie when i got it i was having a man i should have got the droid (my friends have it) but after sometime it has grown on me, but to tell you the truth i think you would be better of waiting for the next phone after N1 till the next sence ui phone comes up because of the processor you need a faster processor to be able to do all the things 2.1 offers and eris does not have it and droid does not have sence UI neither does the N1

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
The question you should be asking yourself is not Droid or Eris. With the Nexus One expected withing the month the Eris is about to become obsolete so you should be asking Droid, Devour, or wait for the Nexus.

Unless you really want the SenseUI I would not get the Eris. Desire is coming not too fare after that and it will be the Nexus One with SenseUI and a track pad instead of trackball, but we don't even have a semi reliable rumor about the date on that.

If I were to buy one today i would get the Droid. It's all around the best Android phone out there besides the Nexus.

The Eris may be free but it also means that you will have to wait at least a year before you qualify for upgrade pricing and the Droid and Nexus are both over $500 full retail.

queueman

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for both of the replies. As much as I'd like to get an Android phone now, it seems like I should wait. I know the Nexus is expected out on the 23rd, so I'll wait to see that. I do, however, like the look of the Eris screen and the sense UI. I've been reading about the HTC "incredible", but that seems to be at the rumor stage now.
Maybe I'll take another look at the Droid as well.

weihl165

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The sense UI is not all that great. I could have done without it. Whne I bought my eris 3 months ago the salse rep told me I would have 2.0 in 2 weeks, and well who know when the real update will come out. The nexus 1 seems to be the best phone coming out right now. If we dont have a reliable update to 2.whatever before the n1 comes out I will be going to verizon bitching and seeing what i can get out of them..lmao

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
whenever the n1 comes out, going to verizon isn't going to help you, as the distribution of it will still be through google, which is the primary reason i'll never buy it.

if price is a huge factor, the eris is a great value.

if you want a keyboard, get the droid.

if you don't mind waiting and really like sense, get the incredible / desire (whatever comes first)

i went from the droid to the eris, and in my day to day use, i don't miss much. maybe if anyone gets around to developing some applications that really take advantage of what the droid/n1 level processors can do, i'll have something to complain about.

MAN-ERIS-M

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Eris

Once the official OTA update to 2.1 is pushed through the motorola will have only a few advantages one being physical keybourd(until swype is available for all platforms)but both should handle all that your looking for in the phone and i was gonna wait on the G1 but after using 2.1 on the eris im verry happy.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I've had the Eris since it came out months ago, I liked it then, but the core issue was lag with SO many home screens. Now, that i've got the 2.1 OS on it (leaked) im amazed in the performance difference, and its ability to do so much. I'm a business user, and a techy so for me the exchange is critical as I do all my work email on it, and calendar stuffs. When I get home, I just play. I dont need a physical keyboard, if you need it, get the droid. The Droid is faster, but for the price point, I dont care for the extra speed and larger phone.

the Nexus one, is a great phone, i've used it (we have several android phones at my work for demo use). but, for its price point, i'm perfectly happy with the Eris on 2.1

If I were you, get the Eris when 2.1 rolls out (if you can wait a couple more weeks), use the phone for 3 weeks, and if you dont like what you have return it and get the Nexus One or Moto Droid. With Verizon you can use any new phone for under 30 days and return it without any negative impact (except having to setup your phone the way you like it again). My wife's done this in a given quarter 3-4 times when she's got the itch for a new phone.

dcdiablo90

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on what you like and what you want to pay. I went from Treo 755p to the Eris because there was a Buy 1 get 1 free offer. The Moto droid did not offer that yet. I'm sure the other phones are better, but am VERY HAPPY with my Eris. Of course, way different than the Palm in some sense, but you are already used to touchscreen, so that is the same. It took my wife a couple of weeks to get used to the touchscreen and what it can do. Now I'm just rambling, but I will never regret getting the Eris. If you wait for the Nexus One, in a couple of months, The Nexus One will be replace with something better. So it's all about making the decision!

queueman

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Eris

I've had the Eris since it came out months ago, I liked it then, but the core issue was lag with SO many home screens. Now, that i've got the 2.1 OS on it (leaked) im amazed in the performance difference, and its ability to do so much. I'm a business user, and a techy so for me the exchange is critical as I do all my work email on it, and calendar stuffs. When I get home, I just play. I dont need a physical keyboard, if you need it, get the droid. The Droid is faster, but for the price point, I dont care for the extra speed and larger phone.

the Nexus one, is a great phone, i've used it (we have several android phones at my work for demo use). but, for its price point, i'm perfectly happy with the Eris on 2.1

If I were you, get the Eris when 2.1 rolls out (if you can wait a couple more weeks), use the phone for 3 weeks, and if you dont like what you have return it and get the Nexus One or Moto Droid. With Verizon you can use any new phone for under 30 days and return it without any negative impact (except having to setup your phone the way you like it again). My wife's done this in a given quarter 3-4 times when she's got the itch for a new phone.

I can wait a couple of weeks, but I'm hearing that possibly the Eris will be replaced by the Incredible by April 1, so I'm sure the price will be higher on the Incredible. Since I'm coming from a Palm Centro, I think the Eris would be a big improvement. I checked out the Moto Droid, and the only thing I didn't like (aside from the price) was that you could only zoom in twice on a web page. If the Eris with multitouch can get a better zoom, I'd prefer that. I am in real estate and have to type in searches once I get to the main page.

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I can wait a couple of weeks, but I'm hearing that possibly the Eris will be replaced by the Incredible by April 1, so I'm sure the price will be higher on the Incredible. Since I'm coming from a Palm Centro, I think the Eris would be a big improvement. I checked out the Moto Droid, and the only thing I didn't like (aside from the price) was that you could only zoom in twice on a web page. If the Eris with multitouch can get a better zoom, I'd prefer that. I am in real estate and have to type in searches once I get to the main page.

i thought the moto droid update was going to get mulittouch on web too and just wait its not even that much longer

queueman

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Eris vs Other Droids

It all depends on what you like and what you want to pay. I went from Treo 755p to the Eris because there was a Buy 1 get 1 free offer. The Moto droid did not offer that yet. I'm sure the other phones are better, but am VERY HAPPY with my Eris. Of course, way different than the Palm in some sense, but you are already used to touchscreen, so that is the same. It took my wife a couple of weeks to get used to the touchscreen and what it can do. Now I'm just rambling, but I will never regret getting the Eris. If you wait for the Nexus One, in a couple of months, The Nexus One will be replace with something better. So it's all about making the decision!

Thanks. I appreciate your response, especially since you came from a Palm product. The only other thing I don't feel comfortable with is the "cloud", so I may invest in companionlink and sync to my Palm desktop.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Buy the Incredible its a HTC phone with google guts! If google thinks enough of HTC to let em build there "google phone" then wouldn't it be smart to wait for HTC's version of the N1 ? I mean same phone with sense and minor changes , but has SENSE iss a no brainer yo!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer