bezel around screen is some type of metal

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've always thought the black frame/bezel around the screen is plastic but I slightly nicked it not sure how and it shiny metal underneath most likely aluminum. Personally I think it would've looked nicer if they kept the metal exposed and made it have a brushed metal look rather than painting it plain black. Plus if u drop or scratch it, it wont be so obvious.

e4e4e3

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
May I add that it scratches / nicks / dents WAY too easily?
I have two dents already - one was because it was in my pocket with a quarter :confused:
The other is from it falling off my 18" nightstand onto the carpet and sliding into the base of the bed...

Never dented my evo 4g's bezel and it's had MUCH worse falls (onto pavement, tile floors, etc) over it's life.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this too the other day. Now I keep wondering if you could sandpaper off the black paint and have a silver bezeled 3VO. :D

I think theres a way to remove the anodized black. My friend did it on his RC car that had aluminum parts that were anodized purple from factory and it looked really good. I don't think he sand papered it down but maybe used some solvent. But I'll ask.

cwilson617

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think theres a way to remove the anodized black. My friend did it on his RC car that had aluminum parts that were anodized purple from factory and it looked really good. I don't think he sand papered it down but maybe used some solvent. But I'll ask.

Solvent or sandpaper on my new 3vo!? I don't think so. Good luck with that.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

If I remember right, back when I did this to a rc car chassis of mine I used oven cleaner and let it soak for a few minutes and the anodizing wiped off. But if you don't coat the aluminum it will oxidize and turn a dull gray!