The Evo 3D won't be the same breakout hit that the Evo 4G was

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The 3d was a key reason in my purchase of the evo 3d. I carry a nikon dslr with me everywhere, so it's nice if my phone could do something my regular camera can't. For some shots I prefer the little bit overexposed, color-bland evo 3d shot to the dslr 2d version, such as a shot of a series of mountain tops. (a dime a dozen on any landscape photo forum). now the 3d version, it's more fun to sense the depth in it. I hope, what they call, lenticular stereoscopic printing, will get a little more popular so I could print a few on 3d paper at the local convenience store.

b1time

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Simple ... the bootloader is locked.... :p just kidding...

Like mentioned before, a lot of customers (including myself) got the one year upgrade taken away with that silver/gold premier change.

Also the Evo4g is still an awesome phone

likwid687

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just read through all these posts and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I have an OG Evo. I was considering upgrading until I switched to CM7. As far as real world speed goes, I have 0 qualms with my phone now. Sure, plenty of phones beat it in benchmarks, but my phone never lags, does anything I need it to quickly, etc. Sorry I know I sound like a CM salesman. But that honestly is why I am not upgrading. Even my battery life is almost double what it was on sense. Just doesn't make sense to pay so much when I'm more than content right now.

I won't be upgrading until screen resolution gets even better (like 720p better). Phones already have the speed I want, so a major resolution upgrade is what I'm most looking for next. Also, wouldn't hurt if HTC started using AMOLED screens ;-)

xavier28

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
keep in mind too most of these people who bought the evo 4g as I did pretty much after it came out won't be able to upgrade this year due to Sprint changing the premiere program. I was lucky enough to be a 10 year customer, so I got my evo 3d on day 1! To me, it's a huge upgrade! Speed, screen, and even battery life are big improvements I feel. I can go all day with regular usage without recharging. Sense 3.0 is awesome. Even the 3d was much better than I though it would be. I think the only thing that seems off is the speaker, doesn't seem as loud or clear...not a huge deal though to me.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd evo 3d and it's going back for a refund tomorrow. Not the phones fault, but I cannot makes calls from within my house, my neighborhood, etc. OG Evo was fine, not this one. I'm going to miss those rings on opening too, darnit but I can't justify spending the money for a phone I can't use as a phone.

Now for my question --- I bought it at Best Buy on launch day -- and made all the exchanges through BB of course. No problems. Now I just want to quit and get a refund. Might wait for the Photon and see if I like it, but I'm not sure. I need a break from frustrating phones for a bit. Will they give me a hassle for a full refund? They don't stick it on a BB card, right -- full refund? Paid with credit card, but it was a month ago --- I don't want it back on the credit card, I've paid it off already.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I bought the EVO at launch and returned it the next day. The screen was low quality, and it was so wide. The EVO 3D now has a high quality screen and isn't as wide which is perfect. This is by far best phone I have owned.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
keep in mind too most of these people who bought the evo 4g as I did pretty much after it came out won't be able to upgrade this year due to Sprint changing the premiere program. I was lucky enough to be a 10 year customer, so I got my evo 3d on day 1! To me, it's a huge upgrade! Speed, screen, and even battery life are big improvements I feel. I can go all day with regular usage without recharging. Sense 3.0 is awesome. Even the 3d was much better than I though it would be. I think the only thing that seems off is the speaker, doesn't seem as loud or clear...not a huge deal though to me.

Sprint had a special that allowed everyone affected to renew early.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I really like the procssing power of my EVO 3D but I have some issues with the camera in 2D mode, feels like a step backwards from the camera on my EVO 4G :(

Thoughts on the EVO 3D's Camera and Gallery software

See, I dont understand this.. Because I find the camera operation and the quality of the pictures taken to be superior to that of the Evo 4G. I have my settings set just like I like them and the Evo 3D takes some damn good photos.

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
How about the fact that the evo 3d is $199 and you can get a evo 4g for $29 at Radioshack. Consumers can't justify spending the extra $$ for the extra features. Especially since the 3d is the focal feature and it hurts peoples eyes when they first try it.

When using the phone or looking at a 3d picture? Cause the phone is not always in 3d. Only in pictures,videos ,games, movies, YouTube. Wow that's a lot of addition options that you wouldn't have with the OG.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk Pro.

Brianadfl

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
It kind of surprised me, but yesterday at Denny's there was a croud of maybe 6 people watching a guy show off his EVO 3D.

There are ppl at my job that have Epics, and Iphone's and they say that the 3d is a cool feature. They even went to say that the 3d looks even better then some 3d tv's. i was like, eh, i love my phone, the 3d's the icing. :D

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot more to this phone than the 3D aspect. It is much faster and more responsive than my EVO 4G. I would like it without the 3D and in fact got it with the mindset that I wouldn't use that feature very much. Turns out I am using it quite a bit and am enjoying experimenting with it. I love this phone! :D

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well for what it is worth, I came from the Evo 4g and decided to pass on the Evo 3d. I liked the power, but could not get over the 3d in the end. Would of preferred that they built upon the success of the original Evo with perhaps a better camera and/or NFC capabilities rather than useless/painful 3d gimmick (sp). I am sure many here will likely disagree with me, since they chose the 3d, but to the original poster's point, yes the 3d may not be the breakout hit it was - not even within Sprint itself.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to say it will be, but here are some reasons:

1. some people who originally bought the EVO 4g don't see it as a huge upgrade. I don't know why because it is.

2. some people focus too much on 3d and think that's all the phone does, and ignore the specs. I have friends who ordered the Nexus S because they don't like 3d. I was like wow..... dumb consumers

3. It was the first sprint 4g phone, only 1 phone can be the first.

4. Competition is heating up for sprint w/: nexus s, moto photon, evo3d and rumors of Galaxys2

5. Some people are mad that they can't upgrade, I have friends in this boat.
Really, "dumb consumers" because you disagree with their choice. Wow. People have different expectations and preferences, so it is more a matter of individual taste rather merely "dumb consumers."

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree with 05 TypeS, the Evo 3D is being underestimated due to it's addition of a feature!

This phone could have come without 3D and it would have been the same great device it is now, the 3D is just an added feature. The average consumer doesnt see that, though.

People do think it's only a MINOR upgrade (are you serious?!) It has the most top-notch specs in the US industry to date! Even better than T-Mobile's Sensation 4G, besting it with a full 1GB of RAM.

People hear 3D and they get all crazy and start assuming BS. The Evo 3D has plenty of potential to beat out the Evo 4G in terms of sales.

The question of if it will? No, I doubt. People dont use their brains too often .:confused:
Again, similar to the poster you agree with, it is not so much a matter of "using [one's] brain" as it is having different expectations and preferences. One could easily state that those that fell for this 3d gimmick are not "using their brains," but that would also be wrong since everyone has different preferences.