EVO 3D to Galaxy S II

woodiah

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Here goes another of my replies about to be removed haha .... From a girls standpoint and my OPINION just think that the GS2 is a total chic phone , the cartoonish icons , "pretty colors of the screen " the interface etc etc ... I have yet to see a guy walk in my store and ask for a GS2 ...many come in play with the display and walk out or ask about the Evo 3D and honestly most sold were to girls coming from iphones ....that's just my experience with my store and my opinion. Same can be said about me carrying a 3d a very masculine phone, industrial, sturdy and solid very masculine .... Some phones are obviously aimed at certain sex , like that HTC Rhyme or whatever its called with the flashing cube, its just a matter of time before I see a guy with the cube hanging out of his back pocket insisting pink is punk. But yea my opinion the GS2 is a chicky phone.

Waiting for my post to be removed.......

Interesting observation and opinion, but based on my wife's reactions to both devices, I would say your opinion could have some merit :)

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Example of my statement above. Some of you who come here a lot may have noticed that I have not posted much this weekend. I just upgraded one of my lines to the Samsung Nexus S and have been unlocking, rooting, and modding it all weekend. I really debated on the SGS2 but for the money found that the Nexus S would best meet my needs and imho the SGS2 just didn't warrant the extra money. Besides, since it is a true Google phone it receives regular updates unlike other Samsung devices. Just got the update to Android 2.3.7. Am really liking it so far. Another thing ... It was a lot easier to unlock the bootloader and root!

Jay005

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The two biggest reasons why I won't switch are the screen resolution and touch whiz. Not sure why Samsung didn't go all out with a qhd display. What's enticing? The screen...even bigger must be better, and of course the blackest blacks and most saturated colors. Aside from that, I read in some reviews that dropping calls and call volume/clarity are not a problem and that the battery life seems good as well.

Ahhh...decisisons, decisions..... I am sticking with my Evo 3d though until something comes out that is just head over heels, balls to the wall better than it...I am talking a step like going from a HTC Hero to the 3d!

I pulled the trigger and switched but I'm getting ready to switch back. 800x480 isn't as bad as it sounds on this phone. The screen makes my 3D look dull and washed out. The phone is great but there are some picky reasons why I don't like it overall and am returning it. Touchwiz just isn't my thing and I don't think it ever will be. It's missing some key widgets that I use daily on my 3D. A lot people will probably tell me "why don't you just download a launcher from the market" but why should I have to just to get a satisfying experience. To each his own but this Epic 4G Touch is going back.

Jay005

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I started out with the Evo 4G when it launched, then got the Evo 3D in June when it launched. I was excited to get the 3D because of the faster processor and more internal memory. After I got the 3D, I was disappointed with low call/speakerphone volume, small text which made the screen seem smaller, poor call quality, dropped calls, green pics when using flash, screen going black and freezing just to name a few of the issues I had with the 3D. Even had some of the same issues with a replacement 3D. Yeah, the 3D was peppy but the internet still seemed a little sluggish. Overall, I wasn't as thrilled with the 3D like I was with the 4G. I have two lines and one line is elegible for an upgrade, so I decided to get the Samsung 4G Touch. Had played with it at the Sprint store and liked it. Now that I've had the phone for a week, I am very impressed with it. Am very impressed with the 3G speed, blows away my 3D on 3G! Internet processes almost instantly...I am like WOW! I am thrilled to use the internet on the 4G Touch. Call/speakerphone volume is loud! That's a treat. Everyone says I sound much better on the 4G Touch. I get better reception on the 4G Touch, no dropped calls yet. Wifi connects quickly and doesn't drop. Love, love, love the big text! The screen looks absolutely amazing, has beautiful vivid colors and sharp text. Apps open instantly and run well. The camera and camcorder are awesome! Soooo much better than the 3D. Video playback is fast and very smooth. Can you tell I like the phone? So much so, I am going to sell my other 3D and get another 4G Touch for my other line.

I went from the og EVO to the 3D and was less than impressed after a while. I upgraded because of the software and tweaks to sense but overall I was more impressed with my og EVO. I tried the Epic 4G Touch and am still using it for a few more days but I haven't found any reason not to send it back. It's a nice phone don't get me wrong but Touchwhiz is just lacking some key things that I use a lot in Sense and those things are a deal breaker for me. I'm back to waiting for the next big Android device to hit Sprint.

Jay005

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Played with it but coming into the store I knew that I wouldn't like it but I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. First off I don't like the UI and it looks and feels like your typical light weight cheap looking and feeling Samsung phone. Maybe its me but I'm not feeling all the hype about SG2. :confused:

I gave it a shot too and so far I'm just stuck thinking how much I miss htc sense. I know I can download launchers from the market but I shouldn't have to in order to get a good experience. I'm going to give this phone til the end of the week but I'm really thinking of just going back to my 3D until the next high end Android device comes to sprint.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I played with the S2 and I like it I like the bigness of the lower resolution.. Im the type to lower my pc resolution because everything is too small... And don't mind touchwiz cause I use LPP anyway

The one thing that bugs the heck out of me is that the camera pod is round/elliptical when it should have been a rounded rectangle like the phone itself... It's that round camera that makes it look feminine... Hopefully we have a new Nexus soon

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, my co worker has the att version and the screen is beautiful. The phone is very light and thin. I wouldnt switch for two reasons, im on sprint, and i will not leave them for a higher pricing plan. And second i dont like the sprint version of the gs2. Too big and with lower resolution feels like a loss to me. Also, sense is a priority to me. Their widgets, im too dependent on and touchwiz cant match the convenience of sense.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually just dropped sprint for ATT and got the GS2 since that was the best performing phone they had. I got an Infuze for my GF also.
I was kind of back and forth about getting the Infuze too because it was cheaper, but it more than triples the Quads of the Infuze off the bat.

Going from the 4G to the 3D. . I can say I lost interest in the 3D after about a week or two. Not really all it was hyped up to be and felt a little cheap IMHO. The service sucks donkey balls most off, but the antenna I think it worse in this thing as time went on with more testing. Also the headset and speaker are god aweful! I wanted to spike this phone soo many times its not even funny

Now onto the GS2. I just got it yesterday and Touchwiz isnt all the bad, Its new to me and I liked Sense, but so far its snappy. Little less iphone esq then the last touchwiz on the Infuze but still a little colorful.
Screen does seem quite a bit better IMO. Camera also. As far as call quality and speakers this thing blows both my Evo and 3D out of the water as far as quality and loudness.
Service. . . . well service is handsdown better than Sprint. Where I would get below dial up speeds I now get almost 3MB dl speeds on ATT. I did nothing but roam on the 3D all the time to boot.

We will see how things go in the long run, but so far its a very nice phone.
Oh and another thing to add, the phone itself is soooo light and thin and no screen leakage ftmfw!!!. Its almost unreal at times. Doesnt feel cheap either for its weight and materials

Last edited:

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually just dropped sprint for ATT and got the GS2 since that was the best performing phone they had. I got an Infuze for my GF also.
I was kind of back and forth about getting the Infuze too because it was cheaper, but it more than triples the Quads of the Infuze off the bat.

Going from the 4G to the 3D. . I can say I lost interest in the 3D after about a week or two. Not really all it was hyped up to be and felt a little cheap IMHO. The service sucks donkey balls most off, but the antenna I think it worse in this thing as time went on with more testing. Also the headset and speaker are god aweful! I wanted to spike this phone soo many times its not even funny

Now onto the GS2. I just got it yesterday and Touchwiz isnt all the bad, Its new to me and I liked Sense, but so far its snappy. Little less iphone esq then the last touchwiz on the Infuze but still a little colorful.
Screen does seem quite a bit better IMO. Camera also. As far as call quality and speakers this thing blows both my Evo and 3D out of the water as far as quality and loudness.
Service. . . . well service is handsdown better than Sprint. Where I would get below dial up speeds I now get almost 3MB dl speeds on ATT. I did nothing but roam on the 3D all the time to boot.

We will see how things go in the long run, but so far its a very nice phone.
Oh and another thing to add, the phone itself is soooo light and thin and no screen leakage ftmfw!!!. Its almost unreal at times. Doesnt feel cheap either for its weight and materials

So... is it the service or the antenna? You say the antenna sucks but then you say its the bad sevice? Where i live in tallahassee, the service is excellent, so i know its not the antenna. At least for my phone. I cant comment on the service where you live, each has its own experience. My co worker has the att gs2, and its very nice, but one thing i did notice is that he installed "beautiful widgets". Why, he told me that he wanted the sense widgets and these were the closest thing to it. He is still trying to find a calendar widget that matches the sense calendar widget. All in all, his phone is great.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So... is it the service or the antenna? You say the antenna sucks but then you say its the bad sevice? Where i live in tallahassee, the service is excellent, so i know its not the antenna. At least for my phone. I cant comment on the service where you live, each has its own experience. My co worker has the att gs2, and its very nice, but one thing i did notice is that he installed "beautiful widgets". Why, he told me that he wanted the sense widgets and these were the closest thing to it. He is still trying to find a calendar widget that matches the sense calendar widget. All in all, his phone is great.

I say antenna because side by side with my Evo 4G the reception is a bit worse. I then say service sucks because in general Sprint has been god aweful in every area almost that I have tried it in. Mostly data speed issues. I only saw voice issues when I went with the 3D.

I was a big sense fan, but it got old after having 2 4G's and having the 3D and running different roms with Sense. I dont miss it yet as much as I thought I would.
The S2 actualy has a nice agenda widget . That was one of the things I was surprised to see because I love Sense's widget layout. For the most part I found replacement widgets that work just as well except for facebook. I would love to find a full screen social app widget like friendstream.

All in all the reason I switched was more of an issue with Sprint. They couldnt give me service and I got them to drop all my lines with no ETF because they knew they were wrong.
I wouldn't have minded going with another HTC as I had a few of them and loved them, but nothing that really caught my eye on the other carriers. The 3D was a nice phone, but deffinately time for a change from the normal HTC issues like screen leakage and speaker problems.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Every month there will be more great new phones released. Each will have advantages.

This really comes down to a very personal decision. If you have the HTC EVO 3D and are happy, why even look at other phones? If you are loving 3D, there is nothing else to consider.

You can compare specs in the Phone Comparison. If you are buying a new phone, there are reasons to consider the Epic 4G Touch. The Epic 4G Touch at 5.2 in? is a little smaller overall than the EVO 3D at 6.0 in? but it really comes down to how it feels in your hand, not the specs.

In the end phones are like shoes. No one else can tell you what will feel best to you.

Holt85

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I know that most say the radios on the epic touch are great, but it's sad when a member like boe, who had 3 evo3d phones say he has worse down load speeds with his new epic as compard to the 3D.

while Rev B may or not be able to be done with the epic touch, only time will tell and it's still too early to say.
personaly, it's not a big deal to me. after all, I don't even use 4G all that much as I always do updates or DL apps while at home and so use wifi.

dezahp

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade from my really old, crappy HTC Touch Pro 2. I'm just not sure if I should get the S2 Epic or Evo 3D. I don't care about the performance, camera, and etc between them since the difference is negligible to me. Basically, I'm just wondering which phone has better connection and service. I've heard many complaints about loss of service for the S2 so wondering if that issue still exists or has been fixed.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade from my really old, crappy HTC Touch Pro 2. I'm just not sure if I should get the S2 Epic or Evo 3D. I don't care about the performance, camera, and etc between them since the difference is negligible to me. Basically, I'm just wondering which phone has better connection and service. I've heard many complaints about loss of service for the S2 so wondering if that issue still exists or has been fixed.

I couldn't tell you anything about the S2 since I don't have one. But I have had no trouble with voice and 3G connections with my EVO 3D. That's with the stock ROM and CleanROM.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I don't think that the gs2 is having that much trouble with service anymore.
So pick what you like best and enjoy.

swiped to you in 3D

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
i have both on my account and the galaxy sll may get a little better reception then the 3vo, if i were you i would hold off a little longer and see what new devices sprint will release do to the LTE upgrade they are planing,sounds like there is some some phones in the works

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

A friend recently got an Epic 4G Touch and loves it. Hasn't had any connection problems, and the 4G service is much better than with her previous HTC phone. If Sprint doesn't offer something better (like the Note), my upgrade will be the Epic 4G Touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38