New pics of Evo One - worst fears confirmed

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Evo 4G is a lot better design than this. At least it has a uniform back surface rather than the ugly shiny + matte thing the Evo One has.

And I agree, screw the kickstand.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
This is hilarious! Back when the Evo and Evo3D's came out and I said I thought they were ugly I got flamed. Now they release a new phone that looks like an Evo and everyone thinks it's ugly. I guess I was ahead of the times back then. #vindicated

Actually this phone doesn't look that bad. It's not great, but it's an improvement over the existing Evo's. I'll wait 2 years for everyone to decide to agree with that. :)

The OG EVO, I didn't mind. It was kinda groundbreaking. I was actually waiting for the Nexus at that point. The 3d was a complete fail for so many reasons in my book. Just drives me nuts, HTC pumps out beautiful phones bit none of them ever end up on Sprint.

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the black with metallic red stripe on the back. It looks a whole lot better than the plain black back of the OG EVO to me.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
What happen Sprint? Making the HTC Evo One should have been easy. Take a black HTC One X then it's camera, htc logo, docking pins,capacities buttons and turn them red. Plus add a evo logo and matching red beats audio headphones. (Kickstand IMO is great but the polycarbonate body is better...much better)

+++++++100000000. Exactly this.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This is hilarious! Back when the Evo and Evo3D's came out and I said I thought they were ugly I got flamed. Now they release a new phone that looks like an Evo and everyone thinks it's ugly. I guess I was ahead of the times back then. #vindicated

Actually this phone doesn't look that bad. It's not great, but it's an improvement over the existing Evo's. I'll wait 2 years for everyone to decide to agree with that. :)

I don't think it's a bad looking phone, it's just not what we were hoping for. I loved the OG EVO because it looked like nothing out there. It's tired looking, in a sense, because Samsung and Sony and LG and Moto started doing the same things. The 3D wasn't bad at all. I have had them both and liked them both. The 3D is built like a brick poophouse (I didn't curse there Kevin) and I like the fact that they shrunk the width and got a better screen to fit that footprint. The problem with this new EVO is that it is supposed to be a variant of the One X. Variant. This is, design-wise, nothing close to the One X we were all expecting. Love the idea of the kickstand again, but this one just looks puny compared to the OG EVO. Performance-wise it looks to be a beast.

Reactions: crzycrkr

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not buying into the idea of people not wanting the phone because of how it looks. We are NOT talking about a Kyocero Echo or LG Optimus Vu here......those phones would be considered horrendous to look at. But 9 out of every 10 people will eventually throw a case on the new EVO.

As long as the thing is a beast spec-wise, I'm cool with not having a "pretty" phone......now can I please get a OtterBox Defender Series case for the HTC EVO 4G LTE?????

Reactions: mykrlz182

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's always funny how people take this so seriously. It's not like Sprint promised one thing and pulled the rug out from under you. People saw one phone and automatically assumed they were getting that, plus all their dream specs on top of it. Boo hoo. You don't like it, don't buy it. There will be plenty of people who are not looking for a fashion accessory but instead a PHONE. If you want to look stylish, go buy a phone based on looks. Next time you can wish that Sprint will consult you before they build the next one.

wyrdangel

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I was a little concerned after I saw the first couple of pics released but now that I've seen more (and much better quality) pictures from today's event I am very relieved. It is a slim, great-looking phone. I do wish that they had kept the curved bits at the corners of the glass like the One X but I can live without them.

I do think that some of the folks posting in this thread are a little over the top with the dramatic negativity. One would think that Sprint just slapped the thing in an old clock radio chassis and called it a day. Maybe try to have a *slight* sense of proportion...but this IS a forum out on them there interwebs afterall so I guess that is to be expected ;)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Its not really just this forum. The design is being met with jeers just a out everywhere. And, I agree, if you don't like it dont bbuy it. But you make it sound as if you can only have performance OR looks. Both are easily done. At least we've moved on to metal rather that the creaky plastic of the OG EVO. Hopefully the next one can feel more like an HTC design and less like a Sprint one.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that bugs me is the glossy top. But since that whole section comes off, i'm sure you will see a matt aftermarket piece to match the bottom.

Right now this will be my next phone (depending on any GS3 news).

For a sd card slot, bigger battery, kickstand, and a camera button. I can live with a two tone case/cover and be really happy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying you have to choose one or the other. I actually like the way this looks. I was concerned with the One X because it looks like the glass sticks up above the bezel and to me that looks like a problem where you might damage it. I don't think this phone is the most beautiful but it's certainly not ugly to me. My point was that people seemed to discount the phone entirely based on its looks.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that bugs me is the glossy top. But since that whole section comes off, i'm sure you will see a matt aftermarket piece to match the bottom.

Right now this will be my next phone (depending on any GS3 news).

For a sd card slot, bigger battery, kickstand, and a camera button. I can live with a two tone case/cover and be really happy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Only thing to be careful of is that there are contacts for the antenna in that piece

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying you have to choose one or the other. I actually like the way this looks. I was concerned with the One X because it looks like the glass sticks up above the bezel and to me that looks like a problem where you might damage it. I don't think this phone is the most beautiful but it's certainly not ugly to me. My point was that people seemed to discount the phone entirely based on its looks.

From the pics I've seen, I don't think the glass sticks up on the One X. I understand what you're saying though. I've gotten over it a bit now, but I'm still a bit annoyed at the complete redesign. Doesn't bother me as much since the announcement since it is an aluminum unibody

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Its not really just this forum. The design is being met with jeers just a out everywhere. And, I agree, if you don't like it dont bbuy it. But you make it sound as if you can only have performance OR looks. Both are easily done. At least we've moved on to metal rather that the creaky plastic of the OG EVO. Hopefully the next one can feel more like an HTC design and less like a Sprint one.

The people that have seen it in person haven't said a bad thing about it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

mykrlz182

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmm let's see : 1) people wanted a better camera, check! 2) People wanted their kickstand, check! 3) Bigger screen and better resolution, check and check! 4) Bigger battery and micro sd slot, check and check! 5) Dedicated camera button, check! 6) Superior processor, check! I'm happy, can't please everyone......... The other thing is, that nobody here has even seen it in person let alone held it! I'll reserve final judgment when I've held one in my hand.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The people that have seen it in person haven't said a bad thing about it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I've seen some interesting comments in either the Gizmodo or Engadget review, don't recall which, about the design. The proof still comes down to the people, and the comments on every site are leaning heavily towards displeasure on the design.

mykrlz182

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've seen some interesting comments in either the Gizmodo or Engadget review, don't recall which, about the design. The proof still comes down to the people, and the comments on every site are leaning heavily towards displeasure on the design.

You're also leaving out the fact that most reviews, overall are really loving this phone. I'm talking about the full package, not just whether the phone will match those pumps! ;-)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You're also leaving out the fact that most reviews, overall are really loving this phone. I'm talking about the full package, not just whether the phone will match those pumps! ;-)

I've said in one or two of these threads that I like most everything else about the phone. I've made no secret of that. I dislike the rear design immensely and don't like that they left out the contacts in the back of the phone. I am just pointing out that I am not alone ine my opinions of the design and that it may actually be the majority opinion right now judging off of comments on the bigger tech sites. THat may change as people get more used to it, or hold it. Hell, I may change my mind. But I still know Ferrari's have a better design to them than Saab's, and that's kinda how I'm looking at the design of the One X and new EVO

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've seen quality press shots and not just blurry-cam pics, I like it more. In general I still think Evo's are too square; I prefer a more curved/rounded design. But the back of it is very well done. And I'm probably going to put a case on it anyway, so whatever.

I'm also please that the kickstand is stiff enough to support the phone in both landscape orientations, that way I can have it plugged into the charger while on the kickstand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87