Disabling applications in Sense?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I was reading Engadget's review of Sense 4.0 and i came across a paragraph that states that you can disable certain applications. Two of which that were mentioned are the phone and contacts applications. Here is the article link.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/htc-sense-4-0-review/

I wonder if these apps are disabled would that mean that the stock application for ICS would then be the default applications?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
You can't disable the phone app. There's only one phone app -- HTC's phone app.

Regarding the Contacts ... I'm actually seeing two contacts apps listed on the One X. One's 8 kb, the other's 28 kb.

Disabling one of them borks the phone app. As in, it disappears. (It reappears if you re-enable the contacts app.)

The other one ... I'm not sure what it does when you disable it. But it does cause the UI to reset itself, so it's doing something.

Reactions: harold42483

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Is there any way to change the default setting. Like with a launcher (like ADW launcher), and make taht your dialer or contact app

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes i know that but there are phone and contact apps in the play store. Like this one

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=intelgeen.rocketdial.pro&token=-auv_BXs

And if downloaded can this be set as a default application. Sort of like if you have two apps that can read pdf files you can set one as a default so that if you download a pdf file and open it after download it wil automatically open using said app.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh gotcha. I don't see why not in newer versions of sense. I know on my original EVO you could set a different dialer app as default.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes i know that but there are phone and contact apps in the play store. Like this one

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=intelgeen.rocketdial.pro&token=p7w7ON8I

And if downloaded can this be set as a default application. Sort of like if you have two apps that can read pdf files you can set one as a default so that if you download a pdf file and open it after download it wil automatically open using said app.

I can confirm that works on the One X, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work on others with Sense. (Even bought Rocket Dial to test. :p )

Reactions: harold42483

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So hows rocket dial working out for you.

Refunded it. I'm lame and am OK with stock. :)

On another note, I'm gonna go right out and say BE CAREFUL disabling apps. It's pretty obvious (and there's a nice warning reminding you) that some apps affect others, and it'll take a little time to get it all figured out.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Refunded it. I'm lame and am OK with stock. :)

On another note, I'm gonna go right out and say BE CAREFUL disabling apps. It's pretty obvious (and there's a nice warning reminding you) that some apps affect others, and it'll take a little time to get it all figured out.

I see. Point taken. I guess im just gunna have to wait til i get the Evo to play around with it. So any word on when and if Htc /Sprint is gunna drop you a demo model.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok i see what ICS has done here. We can basically disable all bloatware. This actually changes my perspective on the evo 4g lte. One of my main gripes about non nexus phones is bloatware. And the bloatware in my evo 3d is killing me i hate seeing it on the play store when i look at my downloads. I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You can disable (thanks to ICS) but not uninstall (thanks to carriers). The custom rom's already out for the One X have all the bloatware actually removed from the image which gives better performance and more space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87