Has anyone tried an Otterbox case for this phone?

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am curious to see if anyone has tried either the Otterbox Commuter or Defender case. If so, thoughts? I have TPU right now, and I like it a lot, but I think I might be looking for a little more protection.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i have the defender. i love it. people complain about the bulkiness of it but i never keep the phone in my pocket. i always just carry it. i still use the holster as extra protection occasionally. i like that it's big, rugged, and industrial looking. but it probably isn't for everyone.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I had the Defender on my 3D. I liked it, but it was definitely bulky. I am a pocket guy. What I liked about it though was the grip that it provided. The Commuter was good, but it was kind of slippery. Does anyone know if the Commuter for the LTE is any more grippy? Another great case that I used before I got the Defender was the Case-Mate Tough Case. Anyone get that for the LTE?

Allocman

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
the HTC 3G LTE is the first phone that i have splurged & got the otterbox defender case. Like ericj12 indicated, I am not turned off by the bulkiness and want the extra protection with the rising cost of insurance (both deductible & monthly premium). On previous phones I used to at times run into door jams, have a chair pull the phone off my belt, etc. Not with the Otterbox defender. I have had it & my phone for a little over a week now and I have really liked out it feels not bulky at all (probably because the phone itself is pretty thin). I highly recommend this case.

Mharka13

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox is the bomb. I don't care how bulky it is as long as it protects my phone. I've had Otterbox for all my phones old and new. From iphone to galaxy. As a matter of fact I don't get new phones unless Otterbox case for it is out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

wonton2049

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have tried the otterbox defender, returned it for the commuter. For me it's better. Its Thinner, the plastic part keeps it easy to slide in and out of the pocket better than the defender and the corners of the silicone are thicker to compensate for drops. The silicone is softer and more flexible. I like this because it feels less straining on the power plug and headphone plug.

The defender was too big for me and uncomfortable in my front pocket. Noticeable weight gain on the phone and not easily pulled out of the pocket.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the Defender and consider it the perfect case after I ripped the crappy transparent plastic overlay off. I'm quite surprised Otterbox made such a great case and ruined it with such a low quality screen protector.

Anyway, I don't consider it bulky at all. In fact, I'm surprised it's as thin as it is when I compare it to other Defender cases. I especially appreciate that it protects the USB and audio ports while leaving an opening for the kickstand!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the commuter. Bought the Defender when I traded in my EVO3D. Returned it. It just made such a thin, sexy phone, so much more bulky. But it definitely doesnt feel "bad" in the hand.

Anyone in here have any experience with the Commuter? I'm under the impression its thinner than the Defender

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the Defender tonight. I checked out both the defender and commuter and I like the grip of the defender much better. Just like on the evo, the commuter case was too slippery for me. I like the look of both cases, but the Defender won me over. I am not sure if i am wording this correctly, but this Defender adds the least amount of bulk than any of the other Defenders on previous models.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has a deal where if you buy any 2 accessories you get 20% off of both. I am sure you can find things cheaper elsewhere, but I didn't feel like waiting.

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the defender yesterday, it is bulky,but that's due to the phone feeling so thin without it, but it feels very safe, I used the belt clip for a dash mount!!, its sweet! I have a plumbing van, and screwed a strap to the dash and drilled out a hole where the charger port is, works great, plus the belt clip allows for you to just twist if you want it in landscape or vertical, so if your thinking about a defender, just remember you get a case for your phone and a dash mount!!

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had the defender case for a week and I love how well it fits the Evo4GLTE. It feels great in my hands and seems sturdy enough to keep it from a heavy user like myself.

sent from my Evo4LTE

bmwgsa

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got hooked on the defender series with my iPad.

I've got the defender on mine and even though it adds to the footprint, I'm happy with it.

I need the protection - my stuff rides on a M/C everyday.....

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
One detail I forgot to mention about the case though is that it makes it somewhat tricky to pull down the notification area. I hope I'll get used to that eventually...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I love the Defender case......hate the screen protector. Still don't understand how mines got marked up so easily already, but I am thinking about calling Otterbox customer service to see if I can get a replacement screen protector.

The bulkiness/weight was a problem for me for the first couple of hours, but now I'm used to it, and contrary to what others may say, it does not feel like a brick in MY pocket.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I had the Defender on my 3D. I liked it, but it was definitely bulky. I am a pocket guy. What I liked about it though was the grip that it provided. The Commuter was good, but it was kind of slippery. Does anyone know if the Commuter for the LTE is any more grippy? Another great case that I used before I got the Defender was the Case-Mate Tough Case. Anyone get that for the LTE?

The Defender for the Lte is much thinner than the one for the 3d

Reactions: Mom2Ninjas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38