No incoming calls.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts?

Can dial out fine. Data works fine. Incoming calls ring on the caller's end and then go to voicemail with no indication on my end.

Texts are also sporadic, arriving hours late. BUT, if I make any call, to voicemail for example, the texts will flood in once the call connects.

I'm 99% certain it's a Sprint network bug but wanted some other opinions before I call them again and escalate the tech call or bring it in.

Nashville Flyer

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the problem I've been having for 5 days. Have you seen an Error 97 by chance? When you update the profile, does it let you do it or give you a vDM error? When you go to "phone identity" in the "about" menu, does it give you a com.android.phone error? These are the problems I've been seeing. I've been to two Sprint stores, done multiple factory resets and nothing has helped. The phone's gotta be replaced (with a refurb it sounds like unfortunately).

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the problem I've been having for 5 days. Have you seen an Error 97 by chance? When you update the profile, does it let you do it or give you a vDM error? When you go to "phone identity" in the "about" menu, does it give you a com.android.phone error? These are the problems I've been seeing. I've been to two Sprint stores, done multiple factory resets and nothing has helped. The phone's gotta be replaced (with a refurb it sounds like unfortunately).
I had the error 97 a few weeks ago but not this time. The Error 97 is supposed to just fix itself and it seemed to at the time.

I refuse to do an exchange because of this.

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Have you messed with any of your data settings in EPST? Something similar to this happened to me with ny og EVO. The custom rom I installed had settings for epst and I messed something up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

whaddupdoe

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Any thoughts?

Can dial out fine. Data works fine. Incoming calls ring on the caller's end and then go to voicemail with no indication on my end.

Texts are also sporadic, arriving hours late. BUT, if I make any call, to voicemail for example, the texts will flood in once the call connects.

I'm 99% certain it's a Sprint network bug but wanted some other opinions before I call them again and escalate the tech call or bring it in.

Had this same issue some years ago. It happened with my Palm Pre & OG Evo. After having the issue for about a month, i realized that I only had the issue when i was at my apartment. I had a couple of bars when I was in my apartment. I wouldnt receive phone calls, just email. I either receive text super late or whenever I made an out going call. So how did I resolve this issue? I got an airwave, and I havent had the issue since.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you messed with any of your data settings in EPST? Something similar to this happened to me with ny og EVO. The custom rom I installed had settings for epst and I messed something up.
No, I personally never messed with any settings prior to this happening and haven't messed with any since other than programming done as instructed by a tech over the phone. I read about EPST being a possible cause on XDA I think it was.

Had this same issue some years ago. It happened with my Palm Pre & OG Evo. After having the issue for about a month, i realized that I only had the issue when i was at my apartment. I had a couple of bars when I was in my apartment. I wouldnt receive phone calls, just email. I either receive text super late or whenever I made an out going call. So how did I resolve this issue? I got an airwave, and I havent had the issue since.
Ha, yeah, I had that problem when I got my Nexus last summer. You know what I just did? Returned my Airave two weeks ago because they wanted to bill me for it since I wasn't using it.

No matter how I set that thing up, I basically had to choose between getting texts or having full bars. My house has two dead-ish spots and that's fine; I'm aware of them. But this problem is only on the EVO.

Did a factory reset last night for the heck of it, and same problem.

noah2383

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Google Voice installed on your phone? I had a similar problem where Google Voice was screening all incoming calls and all my text messages were set to go through it by default. I updated my Google Voice options to stop screening incoming calls and turned change it to use 3rd party app for text messages.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Google Voice installed on your phone? I had a similar problem where Google Voice was screening all incoming calls and all my text messages were set to go through it by default. I updated my Google Voice options to stop screening incoming calls and turned change it to use 3rd party app for text messages.
I do. I have GV on all my phones and cleared it off of this phone as part of the trouble shooting. Same issues but instead of not ringing and going to GV voicemail, it doesn't ring and goes to stock Sprint VM.

Nashville Flyer

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't messed with EPST, and I don't have google voice installed. I've never rooted either. I've also been to multiple cities and the problem is the same, so I doubt it's a network issue of any kind.

dgp2003

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Had the same problem...Called sprint they had me shut off phone and they sent some updates. Didn't change anything.

I called them a week later and told them I read on here that they had to reset the phone and re-activate it to get it to work. So we did that and phone has worked great since.

Back up your phone and have them do that.

I did the profile, prl, hard reset all on my own multiple times. Changed all the settings, did everything and nothing fixed it.

Nashville Flyer

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I took mine in a couple more times, nothing ever worked. I exchanged for another one. I verified the phone is brand new (in a ## menu) even though it came in a "reconditioned" box. All is well again.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Took mine from Chicago, where I live, to Michigan today. Worked fine in Michigan.

Network issues it is!

thepabs3

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Had that Same Issue a couple of days ago, I called a sprint tech and they reset my antenna with a ##number process. My phone works great now, even better than before.

shockwave0_1

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chud,

I have the same issue as you, but I'm on Wind Mobile. This issue happens intermittently anywhere between 1 to 2 days, my phone will stop being able to receive calls. It's very frustrating and Samsung is really no help. After two attempts on trying to "repair" my phone, they have failed each time. The only thing they did was they ran a "RF Test" and everything passed, they said. So they re-flash my phone with the same ROM - again and again.. I told them, "This is my second time sending it in, and you guys are redo'ing the same steps as the first repair. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know this, but wouldn't you think when you send me back the phone - the issue is still going to be there?!" ... And sure enough, when I got the phone back, I was still unable to receive calls..

So I took matters into my own hands - I flashed it with a older release stock rom and I tested it for 2 weeks, and it was able to receive calls and texts. When I flashed with the earlier release, it also flashed the baseband. Either way, I should not be prevented from using the up to date software! Even when you update to the latest version and flash the baseband manually with the older release (from H2 to L6), the problem still exists. This is a Samsung issue but if you ever tried dealing with them over the phone, it's painful. They said they would send me a REFURB replacement - (believe me, I tried fighting for a brand new phone, since I paid for a brand new phone and this issue came straight out of the box - it's not even my fault to begin with!). It's really a huge gamble when you buy from Samsung. You're just hoping you pick a phone that is not defective or you will end up with a REFURB for your replacement. Totally unfair. It's been 3 weeks and I still don't see any phone replacement nor did I receive any mails from Samsung.

Btw, Galaxy S3 is the phone I have.

If you discover a permanent fix for this issue, please let me know. I've been searching but no luck.

Thanks!

davidreese1

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! !!thought it was just my phone!! The phone does everything else but incoming calls. Sprint tech support is supposed to call me tomorrow with a fix. Will keep you posted.

loistg

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I see this is happening on a variety of devices. I recently noticed this on my Samsung S4 with Android 4.3, and also noted the following; this is happening only when on 4G (LTE) base stations. It happened today; I missed three calls in a 15 minute period while at Starbucks with friends. I left, and about a quarter mile away, the notifications came in. I noticed that I was on 3G at the time. My carrier is Verizon. I am working with a tech support person to test some specific locations and scenarios.