Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001

brewmaster_p

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to unlock my phone (Sprint EVO 4G). I've got all the way up to the point where I'm copying the identifier token into the bootloader lunlock tool. I hit "submit", though, and I get a 404 Page Not Found error. Does anyone know anything about this? They haven't taken this tool down, have they?

Nevermind, I'm stupid. It helps if you log in first.

llocknload

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend had just updated to hboot 2.18.001 and was wanting me to try to root her phone...

Used this method to Unlock/Root my girlfriend's EVO 4g yesterday. Took me 45 minutes. Worked perfectly. Now her Evo is running AOKP build 23. She's having a little taste of ICS and loving it!

Thanks so much vulcan! I owe you one!!

P.S. This ought to be a sticky! :)

davidhillio

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I downloaded the recovery in step 8... and renamed it recovery.img... but when i entered the command prompt in step 11, it said cannot load file. Any help would really be appreciated thanks
downloaded amon_ra and got to the point of mounting and need help thanks

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I downloaded the recovery in step 8... and renamed it recovery.img... but when i entered the command prompt in step 11, it said cannot load file. Any help would really be appreciated thanks
downloaded amon_ra and got to the point of mounting and need help thanks
Where did you put the file? You should be putting it in the same folder that contains the fastboot.exe.

What is the exact error message you're receiving?

Is your device still connected in fastboot mode (i.e. says "FASTBOOT USB" on the screen)?

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded clean rom since this one seems to not be there but what part of it do I drag onto the SD card? There are a few folders and two documents. I don't know which one to add to the phone. I was able to unlock the bootloader easily.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded clean rom since this one seems to not be there but what part of it do I drag onto the SD card? There are a few folders and two documents. I don't know which one to add to the phone. I was able to unlock the bootloader easily.
You don't unzip the ROM file. It must be in zip format for recovery to recognize it. Move the entire zip archive onto the SD card, and in recovery, you'll be able to select it, and it will flash to your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: whymista

xmb

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My screen says unlocked fast boot usb, and dev mode is on , plus fast boot is on.. Im on the cmd part part 11 it just says waiting for devices. could someone plz help?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
My screen says unlocked fast boot usb, and dev mode is on , plus fast boot is on.. Im on the cmd part part 11 it just says waiting for devices. could someone plz help?
Have you tried disconnecting, and then reconnecting the device? Sometimes the connection just times out.

rattical

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
recently had to replace old EVO4g, got the new replacement with hboot 2.18 and immediately began looking for a way to get back to SOS ROM... this is a great walk thru, did it in about 45 minutes will all the distractions of working from home...

countach711

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My computer won't recognize my phone. I used Easytether so I know it is not the cable, any ideas? I can't beleive how much stuff you have to download on the HTC website to make this happen. Nothing seems to help.

countach711

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, in step #5 on the HTC website, it says to use the SDK Manager to install the tools. When I attempt to do so, nothing gets installed, I keep getting the error message like

"File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp\platform-tools_r10-windows.zip (Access is denied)"

Does anyone know how I can get around this? I am getting extremely frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated.

countach711

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, in step #5 on the HTC website, it says to use the SDK Manager to install the tools. When I attempt to do so, nothing gets installed, I keep getting the error message like

"File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp\platform-tools_r10-windows.zip (Access is denied)"

Does anyone know how I can get around this? I am getting extremely frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind, I figured it out. I did a search on the Android developers website and found out that you right-click the SDK program and choose the run as administrator option to start it. I did not know about this, although I had checked to see that I was already logged in with administrative rights, apparently that's not enough for some programs, good to know!

deaconr_90

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting the indentifier token to unlock the bootloader @ HTCdev. In the command prompt I entered C:/android then copy and pasted "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" nothing happens but it says: < waiting for device > it wont give me the identifier token what needs to be done?

thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87