USB & SD Card issues

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
!URGENT! USB & SD Card issues (No charging!)

Hey everyone,

I'm having quite a bit of an issue here.. I tried following through the HTC root instructions, however when I got to Step 9 I got all of the errors that stated I needed to go back and start from the red asterisk.

Well, going back, I toggled airplane mode and started at step 6 and this is where everything went crazy. My phone hung up and wouldn't respond to anything so, assuming like an idiot, I unplugged the USB cord, thinking that it was the computer causing it to freeze up. After this happened, I tried to plug the USB cord back in to pick up where I left off and low and behold, the USB device isn't recognized by my computer (Windows 7). I get a USB device error on the PC saying the drivers couldn't be loaded.

I shut the phone off immediately, uninstalled HTC Syn from the computer, and restarted the computer. On the phone, I held the down button and powered on and chose the Clear Storage method (thinking this would erase everything and return me back to 100% brand new stock). Now, when I boot up the phone, I was trying to choose a wallpaper and accidentally clicked the "Gallery" button which then presented me with a big "Please insert an SD card" error.

My device still isn't being recognized on the PC as a USB device and now it appears my SD card isn't being recognized on the phone.

Can anyone point me in the direction of 100% COMPLETELY restoring this sucker back to stock rom or possibly help me out on fixing these issues? I'd prefer to just go back to 100% brand new. Since I'm getting a USB and SD Card error, there's really no telling what else on the phone is now jacked up.

Thanks!
Ricky

Last edited:

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright this pretty much sucks now.. My phone doesn't even seem to want to charge now. I'm running on 15% battery so whatever needs to be done looks like it needs to be done ASAP.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No i cant believe this happened to you, but you have soft bricked your phone. You think youre charging it now while its plugged in but its actually discharging. Battery pull, then charge it while its off.

In the mean while ill get you a couple links and how-to's on what to do.

You messed up man haha, you gotta follow the rooting directions to a T. No worries though, ill get you patched up.

Reactions: UndeadCircus

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Here you go dude,

[ How-To ] Fix SD card not being detected & USB port not working - xda-developers

The guide is by calkulin, he's a stud at android dev'ing so i have total confidence this will work.

Never the less, post here if you got problems and if i cant help ill get a hold of calkulin for you.

Edit - Are you rooted at all? And does your PC detect your phone at all (besides in fastboot)? If you arent then you may need to flash new radios and hope it works for your USB fix....

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
You're the man bro. Let me try and see what that does. In my hboot menu, it showed S-ON, so I'm assuming it is rooted. But I'm almost positive I have no rooted capabilities.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Before I completely get scared s***less, here's a run-down of what's going on and what I've done:

- Phone won't charge while plugged in (wall outlet or my PC)
- SD Card isn't recognized

What I've done:

- I pulled the SD card and loaded the PC36IMG.zip file from the xda-developers forum (apparently it was the stock IMG file, not a rooted one) using my mom's BlackBerry phone
- Put the SD card back in my phone, hold vol down, powered up, had it recognize and then did the update after it asked if I wanted to go through with the update
- Phone booted back up, all issues were still the same

Let me see if I can use the other guy's info and try and get this crap resolved. I'd really hate to have to get a new one sent in from Sprint. I waited too long for this phone. :(

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
dude... sucks sooo bad, I was following your other thread hoping you would root by the end of the week. There was so much progress.

If you have ANY questions during this process... pm, gtalk, or message someone. most of us are on kik, gtalk, and liveprofile..

but dont pm me, I dont know Sh*t, lol

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
make sure you follow these instructions to the T like mentioned above. You have to fix the SD card, then ROOT, then fix the usb issue...

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks bro, I appreciate it. I'm going to do everything I can tonight to try and get this sucker working right.

So far, I think I may have gotten the SD card fixed. Let's see if it worked...

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh mother effin aye! Alright, my SD card is now detected. I'm going to follow the other instructions now to try and get the USB stuff working like normal. I'll report back on my progress..

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay hold up a sec, because your USB wont be detected there is no way for you to root then get it detected. (Self serving i know)

S-ON means you are NOT rooted, you can go ahead and try the fix while being unrooted and see how that goes.

Remember, Plug it in to the outlet while powered OFF to charge it.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so, I got the SD card working. I then tried to follow the next set of instructions on getting the USB to work, however when I try and issue the "su" command in the Terminal Emulator app I got from the marketplace, it tells me permission denied. I also tried the "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" command but it again tells me permission denied.

I was running out of juice so I powered down after that.

Any other ideas?

I really appreciate the help so far bro..For sure!

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Lmao. My Evo was functional for a grand total of about 3 and a half hours today. Didn't take long to jack it up, eh? :p

Honestly, if I have to send this in to get it swapped out, I'm certain I'm going to be steering clear of rooting. I'm going to keep searching to see what I can find.. Not sure what else to do here.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You really messed it up tho man, you had a panic attack at a bad time lol

I say give it another go wit the new evo, this doesnt happen. EVER.
In fact this is the first time ive seen it happen to someone.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
What version do you have? Check in the about phone and software information.. it'll be 3.29.XXXXXX or 3.30.XXXXX Also what hardware version do you have?

Edit: ignore.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus