Thoroughly Confused about PRIs, Radio Updating

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Relatively new rooter here and I have a question about updating PRIs and the radios. I have spent a ton of time reading and flashing and backing up and doing all of the fun things that come along with rooting my Evo. A few weeks ago, I didn't know what a ROM was, so I have come a long way but I don't even want to think about the amount of time I have spent reading these forums!

Now, as soon as I thought I had it all figured out, I keep seeing threads about updating the radios and PRIs. Not only am I confused about what they even are/do, I cannot find enough information to find out which files I should be downloading based on my hardware version, hboot version, etc.

1. Does a nandroid backup save your current radios/PRIs?

2. I found where my PRI is listed (1.90_003), but how do I know what radios my phone is using? I would like to save back up versions before flashing new ones.

3. What is the best thread/link/source to get the latest information? I have found a few different places to get the updated files, but they are old for the most part from what I can tell.

Thanks!

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
#1: yes...make sure to keep backups :)

#2: settings - about phone - software information...shows you everything

#3: [ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers has everything you need.....except myns rls4 i know i had to downgrade from 1.90 PRI to 1.77 PRI due to it not putting the phone into sleep which was a massive battery hog. and i think i just realized it was because when i did the long root method from xda that put on the sprint lovers rom...it updated all the radios...so when i flashed myns i had to downgrade the pri.

but for most cases you should be fine..

Last edited:
Reactions: LikeAChampion3

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not a lot of ROMs come with radio images. After you go through the root process and get setup on the latest radio software you're usually good to go until Sprint/HTC release an update, then use the above XDA thread, get the latest radio software and flash it.

It's my experience that most ROMs don't have any radio info (which is good, so you can control it and don't get downgraded using an older ROM).

Reactions: OrangeGTP

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ahhhhh...So "Baseband version" = "Radio version"? Good to know:)

Hot damn it looks like I already have the updated PRI and Radio!

I am running Vaelpak 3.0 (after having rooting using the same method as Orange I believe) and I have no sleep issues and my battery life is amazing. So I basically had the newest updates and didn't know it.

I guess I'll point out that I already had them prior to flashing VP, just in case it makes a difference for anyone. In fact, I ran the latest OTA from Sprint just before rooting (which ironically caused me to root since the new bloat pissed me off).

Thanks again!!!

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Ahhhhh...So "Baseband version" = "Radio version"? Good to know:)

Hot damn it looks like I already have the updated PRI and Radio!

I am running Vaelpak 3.0 (after having rooting using the same method as Orange I believe) and I have no sleep issues and my battery life is amazing. So I basically had the newest updates and didn't know it.

I guess I'll point out that I already had them prior to flashing VP, just in case it makes a difference for anyone. In fact, I ran the latest OTA from Sprint just before rooting (which ironically caused me to root since the new bloat pissed me off).

Thanks again!!!

awesome ya if you rooted using the link i posted (which is what i did) it automatically will update all your radios to the latest

how do you like VP? i was thinking to try that one next before myns rls5 comes out..

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I used the same method if I am not mistaken.

VP is great and the support is terrific. He definitely has some unique stuff in there, but its all good and blazing fast. The newest version has the netarchy 4.1.9.1 no havs v7 kernel by default and the battery life is awesome too. I'm also very new to the rooting world, but the support alone that VP offers is enough to keep me on his Rom after trying out various ones over the holidays.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I used the same method if I am not mistaken.

VP is great and the support is terrific. He definitely has some unique stuff in there, but its all good and blazing fast. The newest version has the netarchy 4.1.9.1 no havs v7 kernel by default and the battery life is awesome too. I'm also very new to the rooting world, but the support alone that VP offers is enough to keep me on his Rom after trying out various ones over the holidays.

cool im prolly gonna give it a try tonight..been runnin myns rls4 since i rooted last week...i got it to my liking so im gonna back it up and see the other options out there.

i def dont miss my blackberry now lol...still getting used to the touchscreen typing...i suck at it LOL but at least it fixes most of my misspellings cuz of the fat finger lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez