Evo won't boot up...anyone want to try and figure this out?

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My PC all ready recognizes my phone as Android Bootloader Interface (Android 1.0) under device manager. I installed HTC Sync and it did not recognize my phone. I uninstalled Sync and Evo USB drivers on my PC, reinstalled HTC. PC still could not see my phone.

Phone will not stay on long enough on white screen for it to sync up. Phone will reboot every 10 seconds.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
How do you use an RUU? Do I need to find an HTC sync.exe? When I do this...will it override the ABD thing? I remember when I rooted, it said I could not have HTC sync...so I have never used or installed it...

I'll try searching the forums on how to use the RUU...if you guys know of a good RUU thread that can teach me the steps that would be great.

When I use the RUU that you linked me to, it has a connection error with my phone. The only way to connect my phone to the PC is through HBOOT USB...is there something else I need to do? Searching in these forums for a [How to] on RUU found nothing.

I downloaded HTC sync but it could not find my phone, even on HBOOT USB.

To respond earlier, it have let it sit for 5 hours or so not doing anything, in a cold area of the apartment.

Man this sucks. The RUU "some times" should be able to connect with the phone in boot loader - that's pretty much all you have access to right?

Sometimes you have to try a bunch of times in this mode.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Quick question do you haven insurance lol that's all I could think of Cuz it happened when I used the ruu I had the phone for 2 days but just in case you can just say like I did( hey It wont turn on it just stays at this white screen because of) bla bla Cuz you downloaded a app and i think its overheated the phone you know

Sent From PrittyBoy's Evo 4G

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
after about 20 tries, 10 in hboot, 10 in hboot usb...still getting Error 170. I think I ran out of luck...

and no...i don't have insurance :(:(:(:( guess I will be going without a phone for a year or so LOL

too bad it's so easy to spot if I messed with my phone when a big S-OFF at the top..otherwise i'd try and get a refurb...o well

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
after about 20 tries, 10 in hboot, 10 in hboot usb...still getting Error 170. I think I ran out of luck...

and no...i don't have insurance :(:(:(:( guess I will be going without a phone for a year or so LOL

too bad it's so easy to spot if I messed with my phone when a big S-OFF at the top..otherwise i'd try and get a refurb...o well

When you ran the PC36IMG.zip before, I know you said you ran a few, were you able to get any recovery access at all?

Or do you know if you used unrevoked forever for S-OFF or did you flash the enigneering hboot?

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Recovery has always been out of reach...it used to shut my phone off, vibrate 5 times, and blink green LED...since HBOOT 2.02 and the other parts updated from one of my pc36img.zip updates it hasn't done that, it now just goes into a restart loop (restarting after getting to the white screen for about 10 seconds).

I don't remember if i used unrevoked forever or unrevoked3...been a while since i rooted my phone.

I tried installing an Engineering SPL through bootloader...but it didn't do anything that I could use...is there something the Engineering hboot would allow me to do?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Recovery has always been out of reach...it used to shut my phone off, vibrate 5 times, and blink green LED...since HBOOT 2.02 and the other parts updated from one of my pc36img.zip updates it hasn't done that, it now just goes into a restart loop (restarting after getting to the white screen for about 10 seconds).

I don't remember if i used unrevoked forever or unrevoked3...been a while since i rooted my phone.

I tried installing an Engineering SPL through bootloader...but it didn't do anything that I could use...is there something the Engineering hboot would allow me to do?

Have you tried re-flashing the PC36IMG.zip that I posted with just the recovery AFTER you upgraded to hboot2.02 (hboot 2.02 really changes some things on your phone).

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I will try that tonight. For now I need to try and get some studying done for my paramedic exam next week...I will be back on to mess some more around 7 tonight (pacific time US)...thanks everyone...hopefully tonight I'll have my luck back...

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol if they don't know how to get into recovery and you show them wont turn on you might have a chance go to someone you think might now have a clue what they'll be looking at or doing you could put insurance on your phone and a day or 2 later go in and say I thought something was wrong with it so I wanted to make sure I was covered instead of paying $399 and get it through insurance :-/ just another thought instead of dishing out alot for another phone

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
To prittyboy...this is true...I could try and play "dumb" or hope I do truly get someone slow...problem is I know the people at the sprint store in my town and they do a really good job...I would be better of trying to sway them into getting me a refurb for free then I would be to try and pull a fast one on them.

To fred...I just tried flashing the different recoveries I have onto the phone but everything just sends my phone into a reboot cycle. Should I go back to hboot 0.79.0000? or is 2.02.0000 better?

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If you live in town then you could try another town or area that you live in and you could try and get over and then you should persuade them good enough then you should really get a phone for free with your insurance oncr you insurance is turned on by today or tomorrow then within a day or 2 then you should be okay

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To prittyboy...this is true...I could try and play "dumb" or hope I do truly get someone slow...problem is I know the people at the sprint store in my town and they do a really good job...I would be better of trying to sway them into getting me a refurb for free then I would be to try and pull a fast one on them.

To fred...I just tried flashing the different recoveries I have onto the phone but everything just sends my phone into a reboot cycle. Should I go back to hboot 0.79.0000? or is 2.02.0000 better?

I don't think the different hboots would work, I guess .76 would help, but it's a process going from 2.02 to .76 - [GUIDE] HBOOT 2.10(.02 -?)[</3] Got you Down? - Get 0.76[<3] Back! - xda-developers

You CAN NOT do that on hardware version 004.

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Since I bought this phone near release date I don't believe I have hardware version 004. The link you posted needs to be able to get into recovery to flash 0.76.0000 so it wont work lolol :(:( I'm going to see if the guy who likes me at Sprint can get me a refurb or something...maybe flashing the premier customer for over 10 years will help me...maybe not...

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
So I tried this method before returning to the store...hoping to get S-ON so they can't figure out I messed with my phone.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock.html

Everything went well...farthest RUU my computer/phone has went through. Did the whole RUU, phone had a black screen with a reflection HTC and green status bar underneath. Finished, said new ROM was on, and phone was ready to use. But alas...still the reboot cycle. Therefore...I believe this to be a hardware malfunction...and no amount of software/firmware/wateverware will fix this. Everyone agree?

Now to see if Sprint will give me a new phone :) or not :(

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow when I was reading that part you said the ruu let it go thru I was like yaaayaa lol but suddenly went to bummer lol but if you've been with them that long and if the phone only lets you bootloop they shouldn't look to hard if you go to the newbie there they should salute you for being with them for that long haha but seriously they should do something if they want you to stay with them another 10 more years :)

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol I was really hoping the RUU would work...but it didn't change anything. It didn't even turn S-ON. When I returned the phone, my "in" guy was there. He took the phone to the "techs". Came back, smiled, and said, "We couldn't do anything...so here's a new one..." Didn't even get a refurb!!! I didn't realize this guy had such magical powers!

Hardware version 003. Completely stock and up to date. Not sure what to do now...risk the root/rom again? *sigh*

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Sweet great job there isn't really anything that you should be anything scary about rooting there are still programs that are one clicks the get you up and running again

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Rooting isn't scary to me...its the gateway drug to my addiction though...ever since I have owned my Palm Pre...I mess with my electronics till they break. I may be fine with rooting/free tether for a little...but I will keep going eventually until I break it again...lets see how long I last leaving this phone completely stock....I'm shooting for the gingerbread release!!!