Rooting New Evo

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So I'm getting an Evo soon and wish to root it ASAP. I have researched rooting (extensively), and am basing some of my (lack of) experience on the rooting methods I used for my Dinc. They are *slightly* different, I know.

Now, the main reason for this post is that I wish to do a full system root, but I would like to find a stock (sense) ROM that does not disable 4G connectivity. Biggest worries right now are tethering (duh), and removal of bloatware. Not worried about customs ROMS at the moment, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

As for rooting methods, I have tried Unrevoked before and am quite fond of it, but I have been hearing about problems using that, mainly in preserving 4G connectivity. I have looked into other methods, including SimpleRoot, and even going into the core of the phone with ADB, but I would like to avoid that route if I can. Any feedback on the last two would be greatly appreciated.

So forum, what do ya know?

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So I'm getting an Evo soon and wish to root it ASAP. I have researched rooting (extensively), and am basing some of my (lack of) experience on the rooting methods I used for my Dinc. They are *slightly* different, I know.

Now, the main reason for this post is that I wish to do a full system root, but I would like to find a stock (sense) ROM that does not disable 4G connectivity. Biggest worries right now are tethering (duh), and removal of bloatware. Not worried about customs ROMS at the moment, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

As for rooting methods, I have tried Unrevoked before and am quite fond of it, but I have been hearing about problems using that, mainly in preserving 4G connectivity. I have looked into other methods, including SimpleRoot, and even going into the core of the phone with ADB, but I would like to avoid that route if I can. Any feedback on the last two would be greatly appreciated.

So forum, what do ya know?

Check out this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-help-info-asking-help-updated-1-24-11-a.html

There's even a link to a recent unrevoked poll.

I"ve never heard of anyone getting their 4G damaged from using unrevoked.

If you root with unrevoked you'll keep your current software setup and then are free to remove whatever bloat you want and install the wireless tether app on top of it.

There are a lot of sense based roms with the bloat removed and even some more customizations, read more here: EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Check out this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-help-info-asking-help-updated-1-24-11-a.html

I"ve never heard of anyone getting their 4G damaged from using unrevoked.

Rooting, or the process in which factory controls are circumvented such that the user can gain SU access, does not touch the WiMax keys or anything with the radios. You may choose to change or do something there later on, but the process of rooting (including the Unrevoked method) has nothing to do with your radios.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 for unrevoked

Also if you think you might be keeping that stock ROM around and want to make sure you get OTA updates, don't delete or uninstall the bloat because then you will never be able to get OTA updates again.

What you need to do instead is freeze the bloat with my own app, Bloat Freezer or Titanium Backup Premium. Freezing prevents the bloat from running and makes it completely invisible to your system, but allows you to defrost it at any time to get an OTA update, or if you decide you actually want it.

Good luck with rooting :)

Reactions: mattchew86

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just remember, if you flash a rom that doesnt support 4G, it doesnt break your 4G at all. Sooon as you flash a rom that supports 4G, it works just as before.

To make sure you have your 4G RSA keys, search "joeykrim" in the market and download his wimax keys checker.

Reactions: mattchew86

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non