Mess with your buddies on Verizon...

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting tired of all my buddies on Verizon making a big deal about how they are getting the Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich before me. Their network is so great, LTE, blah blah blah....
So I figured out you can edit your system/build.prop files. Gotta be rooted and have a file explorer with r/w ability, and you can changa your android version, build number, just about anything you see on your "about phone" screen. Doing this in conjunction with the Rom R2R 3.0 Stormy Day, and a theme off the market. I came up with this..View attachment 15816
Notice the 4G lte icon?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Yea lol, don't know why I can't post more than one pic @ a time... Got another screenie showing the android version number as 2.4.1 and the software is I.81.B4U.! He actually believed Sprint has LTE here in Kansas City, after all the world headquarters are here... Lol

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe he believed u man! I wouldve just laughed so hard if i saw that & probably died of my laughter. Naw just kidding. Still i like this mod. I might get a shot at it myself & mess with Verizon over here in Cali saying im a beta tester of some sort for Sprints lte network.

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Lol, yea well I'm a roofer so the guys I work with ain't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed... Tools none the less tho.
What you can do is personalize those settings with w/e you want. Just don't mess with any of the stuff in that folder unless you know for sure what it is. On the plus side whenever you edit the text and save it, it automatically makes a back-up folder called build.prop.bak, you can always erase the edited folder and erase the .bak from the original, and be back to normal. I just move the .bak folder to somewhere on my SD card just incase I messed something up inadvertently. Also the changes won't apply themselves untill you reboot.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol, yea well I'm a roofer so the guys I work with ain't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed... Tools none the less tho.
What you can do is personalize those settings with w/e you want. Just don't mess with any of the stuff in that folder unless you know for sure what it is. On the plus side whenever you edit the text and save it, it automatically makes a back-up folder called build.prop.bak, you can always erase the edited folder and erase the .bak from the original, and be back to normal. I just move the .bak folder to somewhere on my SD card just incase I messed something up inadvertently. Also the changes won't apply themselves untill you reboot.

roofing is hard work. i did it once to help someone out a long time ago. i respect anyone who does it for a living.

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Gekko! It definitely can be a physically challenging occupation. Kid you not though, if I could just get my hands on some monkeys, I'd never have to work again.... Lol

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used to do roof tear offs, brutal I must agree haha.

This is a pretty cool trick too :p mind giving the exact directory of the thing you edited?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

iEVOkethe5th

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
No problem.
I personally use root explorer, but I suppose any file manager with read write capabilty will do. The file path is this /system/build.prop . Long click on the build.prop file and choose "open in text editor". At this point I went and changed every occurance of the ROM name that I found. Turns out I don't believe it to be necessary. I discovered that it was only one instance that actually causes the "about screen" change. It looks like this:
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
**ro.build.description=soju-userdebug Ice Cream Sandwich IRK49 173633 Test-Keys**
ro.build.changelist=61076
ro.product.ua=
**ro.build.fingerprint=sprint/htc_supersonic/supersonic:2.4.1**/GRI40/61076:user/release-keys
ro.build.project=198504
**ro.product.version=I.81.B4U.!**
Items with the ** fore and aft, are what o edited.
As you can see I changed it @ ro.build.description(equal sign), & again @ to.product.version(equal sign).
Next hit menu, then save and exit. When you return to the /system folder you will see build.prop and right below it a file called build.prop.bak. The .bak file is a back up of the original (save this for reverting back or if you encounter a problem).
Next you will long click on your build.prop file and reset permissions to match all surrounding files.
All that's left is to reboot and go check to see if your changes occurred. If not go back, and fiddle around with some of the other occurances of the line you were trying to change. I suppose it could be different from Rom to rom, this was on the R2R 3.0 Stormy Days (great ROM btw, for sense, lol).
Hope that helps, may be a good idea to do a nandroid beforehand, unless your like me and not worried about borking a random sense Rom, (Decks 1.3e daily driver for me).

Reactions: igotsanevo4g