My "Test" PIxel XL went so well, I'm ditching my iPhone

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Signal is good so far on my non-XL (google store phone on Verizon). I haven't directly compared it to other phones yet, but in the few places I've taken it so far, it doesn't seem short on signal.

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a pixel XL and am on Project Fi, I was on a Skype call in my car the other day for about 30 minutes as I made the 35 mile drive into work, the audio was flawless except for about 30-45 seconds where it faded a little. I was really impressed.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I sold my iPhone 7 Plus. The Pixel XL is still the best signaled smartphone I've ever owned. It's so good, I don't know if I can switch to any other phone. Maybe I'm now stuck? :D

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Say what you want about Apple vs Android, but Apple's always had the better radios, in my opinion. I've always had better luck with signals with my iPhones until the 7. However, the Pixel blows any smartphone I've ever had out of the water. And I mean ANY smartphone I've ever had! I've never been able to maintain a phone call at my desk with any smartphone. So far this week, I've talked exclusively at my desk with no loss and no person saying that they couldn't hear me or understand me. You see, I work in an area devoid of cell towers. There's not much around here, so 2 bars is a good day. Then you factor in my old building with all the concrete and metal, it's tough for a signal to get through. The Pixel makes it. No phone has ever kept a LTE signal in this building. No phone, until now. I have yet to see a 1X or 3G symbol here. My 7 would bounced constantly all day long, but the pixel is rock solid. It's dropped to 1 bar, but still kept it's LTE and still kept on surfing. The 7 couldn't get out of 3G once it was in 3G. I had to switch it to airplane mode when I left work, and then back to get my LTE back. Simply driving 51.5 miles back to my house wouldn't do it. It'd be stuck in 3G until I rebooted or went to airplane mode. Now, I don't think this is the fault of the phone, but rather the last iOS update. I got that update on the 6s Plus 1 day before getting my iPhone 7 and the 6s got stuck in 3G mode on the way home. Airplane mode wouldn't bring it back though. I had to call Verizon and get them to resend the setup to the phone to make it come back to LTE.
This is wrong, especially this year with the iPhone's Intel modems, which are so bad they had to throttle the Qualcomm ones for consistency.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I never had any of the issues you described with the iPhone 7 Plus. In fact, the issues you've described all came from the Pixel I had for two days. I agree there was no lag on the Pixel, but the lack of hardware features that are present on every other high-end cell phone just the lack of lag pretty much meaningless.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 7 Plus too (got a 6 plus and 6s plus before), and I'm considering the Pixel XL. The only thing is holding me back, I fear battery life is lower compared to Apple iPhone plus models. How's your battery life so far? I use a lot of bluetooth accessories (headphones, fitbit and external speakers) and so far, iPhones handle them exceptionally well... bluetooth accessories management could be another thing to consider...

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 7 Plus too (got a 6 plus and 6s plus before), and I'm considering the Pixel XL. The only thing is holding me back, I fear battery life is lower compared to Apple iPhone plus models. How's your battery life so far? I use a lot of bluetooth accessories (headphones, fitbit and external speakers) and so far, iPhones handle them exceptionally well... bluetooth accessories management could be another thing to consider...
Have a 7 and 6s plus. My XL battery is equivalent to my regular 7....nowhere near the plus which gets me well into a second day.

Getting about 4 hours SOT which is about all I ever get from an Android phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also liking my Pixel XL but not getting rid of my iPhone 7+. I will just add the pixel XL to my rotation and swap my SIM every week or two.

I do like that wifi assist. I turned it on when I got the Pixel XL and yesterday at lunch it was active so I guess it forms a VPN with an open network automatically. Pretty cool feature.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter